Thread: Need help with my newly aquired Donkey Kong 3 cabinet.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Need help with my newly aquired Donkey Kong 3 cabinet.

So today I was driving down the street adjacent to my house and there it was just sitting there, a dedicated DK3 cab on the side of the road with a "for sale 100.00 cheap!" sign on it. Cheap! Shoot, that's a steal! Anyway, I went to check it out and it's in excellent condition...

So anyway, I call the guy because he's not home, and he says "well, it works, but when you turn it on the screen is all scrambled. Hell, if you want it go pick it up and slide 50 bucks under the welcome mat and just get it out of here".

So that I did, and here I am with a very nice machine now that looks like this when I plug it up:

It doesn't look like a major problem, but then again I'm no expert, I hope it's something simple. Do you guys have any idea of what I can do to get this up and running?

I'm willing to take more picture if necessary or even talk to someone on the phone as well if that would help. Just get my lil' guy up and running for me!
    Last edited by Cmosfm; 06-23-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rcc8756

looks like the chips needs to be re-burnt or perhaps a loose connection on the rom board, there are pcb repair shops on the internet that repair those boards & burn the eproms for ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcc8756 View Post
    looks like the chips needs to be re-burnt or perhaps a loose connection on the rom board, there are pcb repair shops on the internet that repair those boards & burn the eproms for ya.
    Sounds simple enough, not as simple as I hoped for, but you know. lol, anywhere you could recommend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rcc8756

I've never had one done before, but I hear mike's arcade is pretty good, they have a exchange program-- 85 with exchange--140 outright.
    http://www.mikesarcade.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rcc8756

You could try taking the eproms out and reseating & see if that helps, perhaps some of our veterans could suggest some other options to try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcc8756 View Post
    You could try taking the eproms out and reseating & see if that helps, perhaps some of our veterans could suggest some other options to try.
    I know how to take the PCB board out but I don't know how to take out the eproms, and I'm hoping as well that some of the vets may have another idea for me to try too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Are you able to coin it up and play it? If not, check your voltages (esp the +5v).
    I can't do anything to it, once I plug it up that's all I get. How do I check the voltages?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is that image static or does it change?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    Is that image static or does it change?
    It's static, no sound or movement, but I can hear the speaker hum. But yeah, just sits like that, even if I press the service button on the machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'd check your voltages with a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at your local electronics supply shop. Protek makes a nice one for around $60 or so. I don't have the exact model #, but I could get it for you. If you are very unfamiliar around electricity, please be very careful, there are dangerous things to touch in there if you don't know what you're doing. One of the guys who's been around here longer that I could probably post a link to a couple of basic threads of what to do and more importantly, what NOT to do while working on an arcade machine. Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbo42 View Post
    You'd check your voltages with a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at your local electronics supply shop. Protek makes a nice one for around $60 or so. I don't have the exact model #, but I could get it for you. If you are very unfamiliar around electricity, please be very careful, there are dangerous things to touch in there if you don't know what you're doing. One of the guys who's been around here longer that I could probably post a link to a couple of basic threads of what to do and more importantly, what NOT to do while working on an arcade machine. Hope this helps a little bit.
    I think one of the things that worry me the most is shocking the shit out of myself while messing around with it, so a link would be great. So far everyone I've talked to says it's the board that's the problem, I have a friend that's going to see if he can get me a new one to try out. I don't really want to drop 60 bucks on a multimeter right now! haha. If the new board doesn't pan out then that's where I'm heading next. Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the info!