Thread: Lunar Sega CD vs. Lunar PSOne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

Default Lunar Sega CD vs. Lunar PSOne

The Lunar RPG's have been some of my favorites since I played them on the PSOne. I know that the original Lunar games on Sega are more desirable from a collector's point of view, but the truth is that the PSOne games and package are superior in every way.

Removing the novelty from the Sega releases, I'd take the PSOne versions anyday. How about you guys?

-man, I miss Working Designs.-

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

This doesn't belong in What's it Worth.

**shimmy to classic gaming**

And I choose PS1 versions.... and yes I own all 5 sets of disc art, because I am a variant whore.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I prefer the Sega CD version. However, the things I like in the remake are: nice new animated cutscenes, some expanded new characters and the expanded storyline. I really disliked all the new music (except for Wind's Nocturne aka Luna's Boat Song), the overhead map is atrocious, no battles at all on the overhead map, etc.

As an experience, I would say to still play the remake regardless. I just really miss some things from the Sega CD version...........
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have both, but I prefer the Sega CD version.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the remake of Silver Star is overall better. It fixes some weird things and definitely fleshed out the plot. But I think I prefer the Sega CD version of Eternal Blue. The remake added some scenes that kind of reveals things earlier than they should.

Though, this could all be because I played the remake of Silver Star before the original and the original Eternal Blue before the remake. One of those cases of "it was my first so it's my favorite" situations.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS1 remake is way better. Crisper and clear graphics. Better animations and cutscenes. Gameplay and battles are more fluid.

One thing I will give the Sega CD version is the intro's ROCKIN' KICK@SS SONG!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another vote for the PS1 versions. I loved the story already, and fleshing it out only made it better.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played the SegaCD version, however I *LOVE* the PS1 version of Silver Star Story. I can't imagine anything in there not being there, so I'm guessing I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the SegaCD version as much.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I haven't played the Sega CD version, but, yeah, they really did fail with the music in the remake. I mean, here they are trying to give the game a complete overhaul and make the game bigger and better in all regards, yet they DOWNGRADE the music from Redbook to MIDI. Not only that but they changed a lot of the compositions, and Iwadare just did a much better job with the original. It's almost as if Working Designs realized this and tried to compensate by including a soundtrack that actually had more Sega CD tracks than the PlayStation tunes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I have both Lunar games for both the Sega CD and PS1. The gameplay and stuff is better on the ps1 because they unfixed everything they "fixed" in the sega cd versions. Like how in the sega cd version of Lunar 2 it costs magic exp to save. That's gone in the PS1 version. The worst thing about the ps1 ports is that they made the enemies appear on the screen instead of random battles, which makes grinding really annoying. You have to leave the screen and come back to keep fighting.

I really hate how Working Designs felt like they had to fuck about with the games when they ported them. What's wrong with leaving it the way it was? Most of their changes were horrible, and they really didn't need to rewrite (and in doing so, severely date) the script. THE FLYING CAT MADE A FABIO JOKE, IT'S 2008 ITS STILL RELEVANT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dreams View Post
    I haven't played the SegaCD version, however I *LOVE* the PS1 version of Silver Star Story. I can't imagine anything in there not being there, so I'm guessing I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the SegaCD version as much.
    Ditto.

Luna's song on the boat was the most epic moment to me. It truly sold me on that game for life. I love the care that went into crafting the box-o-goodies, updated art-style and cutscenes. I loved the touching opening sequence/song as well.

Maybe I missed out, maybe not. Either way:

A vote for PSX version

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    I really hate how Working Designs felt like they had to fuck about with the games when they ported them. What's wrong with leaving it the way it was? Most of their changes were horrible, and they really didn't need to rewrite (and in doing so, severely date) the script. THE FLYING CAT MADE A FABIO JOKE, IT'S 2008 ITS STILL RELEVANT.
    It was the early 90's...way before the Poke-Digi-Naruto era, when anime and manga became US household items. Back then, Japanese animation and art were only appreciated within small circles for the general public could hardly grasp the concept and style. The only way these shows saw air time was by "reinventing" them to attract new audiences, i.e. Samurai Pizza Cats (Still love the show. ).

Working Designs hardly took the "lazy" way out as other companies did with bare-bone translations and sub-par actors. I always felt WD always put the fans before bottom line as they demonstrated with their above-average soundtracks, dialogue, and bonuses for its time. To say the least, they were a beacon of light in the 90's frontier attracting new audiences to a genre labeled as "with no future" by certain higher-up individuals. *cough Bernie *cough Stolar *cough

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    The worst thing about the ps1 ports is that they made the enemies appear on the screen instead of random battles, which makes grinding really annoying. You have to leave the screen and come back to keep fighting.
    Its a positive in my book. It makes it easier to avoid unnecessary battles. Besides, a unique aspect to lunar is that the Bosses stat level was equivalent to the member with the highest level. It going to require more than "grinding" to level 99 to reach the end of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strictly a nostalgia vote for Sega cd. I dig both though.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I haven't played the original on Playstation. I can say however that I like the Sega CD version of Lunar: Eternal Blue 100 times more than the Playstation remake, Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete. Some of the best things about the game they screwed up in the remake.

I hated that they replaced the random battles with enemies that you could see. The game wasen't originally made with this in mind and therefore didn't really work when they implemented it. It worked great for Grandia, but this is Lunar, not Grandia.

I LOVE the battle system for the Sega CD Eternal Blue. The battle system had some strategic elements that were dumbed down or removed from the Playstation remake. There was a “Run” and a “Flee” option. One of them would allow you to escape from battle like most RPGs. The other would have your character run to a different part of the battlefield. So if you had a character that was low on HP and you couldn't heal him, you could have him run to a different area and hope that the enemies couldn't reach him. It was a simple idea that added tons of strategy! This option was removed entirely from the Playstation version. I was like “WTF!?!?!?”

I also HATED the cutscenes. They went with the Grandia approach of hand drawn characters overlayed onto CG rendered scenes. While it looked great and worked for Grandia, it looked terrible, clashed and didn't fit the “feel of the game” in Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete. It had no life and looked generic like they went to Wal-Mart and bought a copy of “CGI Cutscene Animator 2000”, and used all the premade objects to vaguely recreate the scenes from the the Sega CD original. The Sega CD version had beautiful hand drawn cutscenes that really brought the characters and world to life.

I could go on and on about the differences and how mad I was that I spent like 70 bucks on the Playstation piece of crap.................. but I'm tired, so I won't.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Sega CD version more.

One of the main things I didn't care for about the PS-One port is how much more the characters complain between themselves.

Also, two of my favorite songs were not carried over to the PS1 port as well.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CD is the version I remember playing back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Its a positive in my book. It makes it easier to avoid unnecessary battles. Besides, a unique aspect to lunar is that the Bosses stat level was equivalent to the member with the highest level. It going to require more than "grinding" to level 99 to reach the end of the game.
    I have to agree, random battles are the stupidest old moldy RPG element that was finally beginning to go away when the remakes were created. Being able to see a general idea of what enemies were around you allowed you to plan strategy. Think about it, if you're out on an adventure enemies won't always just - BAM - there they are. You can see, non-random battles make it like you can see. Imagine how slow and tedious games like Chrono Trigger would have been with random battles. Xenogears is a prime example, there are so many places in the game where you can count "6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. battle" in an entire area. Seeing what was up ahead gave me time to explore and enjoy the design of the world.

For me it's all about the remake. SSS Complete was released just as I was graduating high school, and it seemed as if the game had spent just about as long getting finished up. It was a big event for most of us to say the least. I enjoy the SCD game as well but the polish given to the PS1 remake pushes it over the top.

As for Eternal Blue - honestly... I never thought either were all that spectacular. Good games in their own right, yes, but nothing on the level of the original title and its remake.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CD for sentimental value.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have both, love both, would have to choose the PSOne version.

And I'll go so far as to say I miss Working Designs as well. They were my favorite localization company bar none, and a huge reason why I gave a damn about the PSOne/PS2 at all. I preordered Lunar: SSSC for the PSOne without ever playing the Sega CD version (I acquired it later), and it was the first game I ever preordered. When I brought it home, it went into my PSOne and stayed there until I beat it some 28 hours later. I didn't play anything else until it was done, and what a sweet experience it was. I'd played Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, and Magic Knight Rayearth on my Saturn before, so I knew more or less what to expect from the company in terms of the translation, and they never let me down. The only company who's ever come close is Atlus.

RIP, Working Designs. Some people loved to bitch about your sense of humor, but some of us miss it like crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkwingduck13 View Post
    And I'll go so far as to say I miss Working Designs as well. They were my favorite localization company bar none, and a huge reason why I gave a damn about the PSOne/PS2 at all. The only company who's ever come close is Atlus.

RIP, Working Designs. Some people loved to bitch about your sense of humor, but some of us miss it like crazy.

Agreed! I still think the translation for Albert Odyssey is one of the best... But Atlus certainly does come close with games like Izuna on the DS. The game itself is just okay, but it's really elevated by the humorous and charming translation.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?