Thread: Do you combine shipping? To Canada? On large orders?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Do you combine shipping? To Canada? On large orders?

So I'm now in an uncomfortable situation. I offer combined shipping on my stuff, and it reads as follows:
    "Be sure to check out my other auctions as I am selling many other items right now and I'll combine shipping. Just add $1.50 for each additional item, and add it to the highest shipping charge."

My shipping is normally $4 for a cart or jewel case, etc, 6 to Canada (first-class). I don't have any stipulations about combined shipping to Canada... I have enough stipulations as is what with confirmed addresses and such. I have combined to Canada before without issue, though my listings don't specifically state that I do or do not combine to Canada. I send first-class and just take the risk that they'll not do a Paypal chargeback.

My problem now is that I had someone buy $101.50 worth of stuff. Shipping with my combined method would be $13.50, and first-class that isn't a problem. I'm not sure I want to risk 100 bucks, though. EMS (the cheapest way to protect myself) would be about $30.

What would you do?

1. ship it first-class (I'm just being paranoid)
    2. tell the buyer combined shipping only applies to USA and charge them exact shipping for EMS.
    3. foot the bill for EMS myself and eat the $20+ (if you include fees, etc).
    4. another option I haven't listed.

edit: I should add the buyer has 100% pos feedback at a score of 72, and has bought and sold 100+ dollar stuff.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 06-29-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I combine shipping on almost everything I sell worldwide. Typically (for items under 2lbs), my rate is highest shipping price +$3 for each additional item to the US, +$4 for Canada and +$5 for the rest of the world. I advertise this, and I get a LOT of repeat and combined business, especially overseas.

As far as the situation you described, I'd just email the buyer and offer him the EMS service if he wants to pay it. If he declines, I'd just ship it regular first class mail. You won't be covered in case of chargeback, but you won't be out $20-30 upfront, and if your address label is easy to read with a proper customs form, it should get there. In ten years of selling, I've *never* had an item not arrive in Canada. Stuff has arrived very late and in other cases, returned to me, but I've only lost items going to Europe.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Show me where Paypal explicitly states you must send EMS for US to Canada transactions in order to qualify for seller protection. Priority international has delivery confirmation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Show me where Paypal explicitly states you must send EMS for US to Canada transactions in order to qualify for seller protection. Priority international has delivery confirmation.
    Looks like that is correct. I don't know why I thought EMS was necessary. That changes it to $18 for priority.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being from canada myself I always look for sellers that will combine shipping.

If a single cart is say $6.00 shipped to me I am not going to want to spend $12 for 2 carts when I know it will cost around $8 or less for 2 carts shipped with tracking.

Just because you say you will combine shipping doesn't mean you don't need to cover your shipping costs.

I usually ask teh seller what the shipping would be with tracking number to my postal code and go from there if I want to buy it or not.

also remember if you have to fill out a customs form that contains a customs number that number can also be used to track the package, so there are options to give shipping deals to Canadians along with making sure you are protected from paypal ( I understand your feeling on this as I got ripped off on a bunch of items where teh buyer refused to pay the extra for tracking then just did a charge back on all the items through paypal)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooPetek View Post
    also remember if you have to fill out a customs form that contains a customs number that number can also be used to track the package,
    Unfortunately, that isn't tracking that paypal will accept to fight a dispute. For one, it isn't "online".

I find myself in a crummy 'Canada' situation again. Buyer with 1 old feedback bought (and paid for) a $40 item. Already paid, so I'll probably just have to refund and go from there. This is despite a disclaimer that I'll require a trackable method for low feedback people. sigh, I may just ship it and take the chance.