23 25.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Bros. vs. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Super Mario Bros. vs. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Ok, first off, SMB came out in 1985, and AK came out in late 1986 (1987 in the US). But let's pretend that they came out at the same time (to avoid the arguement that SMB is more original and groundbreaking). Also, put aside all the magic and memories that SMB got, and how it is probably the most memoriable game of all-time.

Now, with that aside, which is the better game? I'm going to go with AK. I believe it is more challenging, has better graphics, and the worlds are less repetitive. The only negitive thing about AK is the paper/scissers/stone gets old after a while. Thoughts? Please, put your bias aside folks, and rate the GAMES only, not the popularity, your memories, or classicness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Another vote for the Kidd. I've stated my case before, but the graphics are far better, there's more variety with all the power-ups and the music I enjoy more than all the iconic SMB stuff.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    Another vote for the Kidd. I've stated my case before, but the graphics are far better, there's more variety with all the power-ups and the music I enjoy more than all the iconic SMB stuff.
    Exactly. AKIMW is one of the most under-rated games of all-time. I put it in the top-10 video games in history, and I've been playing games since '79.

The only game more under-rated is Ys: Book I and II for the Turbo-Grafx CD-ROM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Crazy Climber's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They cancel each other out, both great choices. Alex Kidd MW is very underated though, too bad Lost Stars sucked sooo bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    all the magic and memories that SMB got, and how it is probably the most memoriable game of all-time.
    You just answered your own poll better than anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    You just answered your own poll better than anyone.
    No I didn't, we're rating GAME ONLY. Please, all of you guys, put your predjudices aside and just rate the games. Had the NES been a flop and the SMS been a huge success, we might be seeing Alex Kidd rated #1 in EGM's all-time lists. If you still think SMB is the better game, by all means I'll respect your opinion 100%.
    Last edited by Zap!; 06-30-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to vote "too close to call." I really loved both games. I had an NES and liked it, but when I played Alex Kidd at a friend's house, I knew I had to get an SMS as well. It was a blast. SMB is a little more polished and solid overall, but Alex Kidd has a quirky charm, and more variety.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think a lot of the people here who voted for SMB ignored my OP and are voting for it because they know it more and it's more of a classic. I have a hard time believing anyone can truely believe it's a better game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then why ask the question if you won't believe the answer?

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually played AKIMW BEFORE I played SMB, because the Master System came out first here in Brazil and, as you already know, was VERY popular here. Alex Kidd was as "iconic" as Mario here for a long time.

Still, I never liked it that much - and loved SMB when I first played it. It's not something I can explain, I guess; I think SMB is more...direct. Simpler, but not in a bad way. I get more fun out of it.
    Last edited by thom_m; 06-30-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gummo View Post
    Then why ask the question if you won't believe the answer?
    I can take the answer if you truely like the GAME better. The question basicly says:

"Let's go back to the mid 80's. You get two games you never seen or heard of before. After playing both, which do you like better?"

However, a lot of people here are ignoring that, and picking SMB because they're more familiar with it, and it's more classic. That I'm sure of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    I actually played AKIMW BEFORE I played SMB, because the Master System came out first here in Brazil and, as you already know, was VERY popular here. Alex Kidd was as "iconic" as Mario here for a long time.

Still, I never liked it that much - and loved SMB when I first played it. It's not something I can explain, I guess; I think SMB is more...direct. Simpler, but not in a bad way. I get more fun out of it.
    Hey, that's an honest answer, and I respect that. Game for game, you prefer SMB better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was one of the few little tykes with a Master System (in the US!), and Alex Kidd in Miracle World was one of my first games. However, I have to barely give the nod to Super Mario Bros. Alex Kidd is way better in terms of graphics, music (IMO), and less repetitive levels (at least visually). But Super Mario Bros. is pretty much perfect in terms of level design and enemy placement. And I find the controls slightly more responsive and the jump physics slightly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I grew up with both a NES and SMS, so it's pretty easy for me to come to a decision. I chose Super Mario Bros, while Alex Kidd was (and still is) my favorite game for SMS, Super Mario Bros is just the better game in my eyes. The controls were a lot better, the game play was smoother and the warp zones helped add replay value since you could skip to the end of the game if you desired.

Again I loved Alex Kidd, I loved how weird the game was (rock paper scissors boss fights!) and it will always remain a childhood favorite, but SMB is just the better game in my eyes.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am a huge Sega fan, but I have to admit that Alex Kidd in Miracle World in my opionion is a good game, but not on the level of SMB. To me SMB is a much more fluid and fast game, one that can be played in shorter bursts. While I like Alex Kidd, It for me is a more methodical game, one that has to be enjoyed in longer periods of time. I for one think that while the game is good, it is definately in a different league of gaming that is not for everyone. I always didnt get the mascot Alex Kidd...to me he looks like a bad Plannet of the Apes reject.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpyHunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can take the answer if you truely like the GAME better. The question basicly says:

"Let's go back to the mid 80's. You get two games you never seen or heard of before. After playing both, which do you like better?"

However, a lot of people here are ignoring that, and picking SMB because they're more familiar with it, and it's more classic. That I'm sure of.
    Lets see, you ask a question and when you don't get the answer you are looking for, you accuse everyone of basically being too stupid to judge for themselves?

I like SMB better. The controls are much better and the game is just more fun to play. I like AK, just not as much as SMB.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tony Lama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SMB vs AKIMW

This is an interesting question. Back in the eighties the only system I had was an NES. Super Mario Bros. was one of the titles I used to pull out to support my console's superiority against my SMS friends. I'll admit, it is hard for me to put nostalgia aside when asked this question. But I'll try.

23 odd years later, I now own both systems and collect games for each console. I've played through Alex Kidd and give it kudos, but I still feel Super Mario to be the better game. As said before in this thread, SMB is a little more "direct" and paced a bit better than the methodical Alex Kidd. And that is why I choose SMB. I like that style of game play better.

I know this is a bit off topic, but if you throw WONDERBOY in the mix you've got a whole new ball game. That title in my opinion goes toe to toe with SMB and destroys HUDSON'S ADVENTURE ISLAND!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

No I didn't, we're rating GAME ONLY. Please, all of you guys, put your predjudices aside and just rate the games. Had the NES been a flop and the SMS been a huge success, we might be seeing Alex Kidd rated #1 in EGM's all-time lists. If you still think SMB is the better game, by all means I'll respect your opinion 100%.
    That's just it, NES wasn't a flop, largely because of how ALL TIME GREAT Super Mario Bros. is.

Since you pretty much created this poll/thread to crow about how much better you think Alex Kidd is, you're the one that needs to put aside "prejudice."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I choose Alex Kidd. It is more varied, has better gameplay and the music isn't as annoying to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please, all of you guys, put your predjudices aside and just rate the games. If you still think SMB is the better game, by all means I'll respect your opinion 100%.
    I think a lot of the people here who voted for SMB ignored my OP and are voting for it because they know it more and it's more of a classic. I have a hard time believing anyone can truely believe it's a better game.
    Look, I honestly voted that I haven't played enough of AK to make the call. It doesn't matter to me much though cause it appears that you are a lying hypocrite anyways.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!