Thread: retrogame shops in New York and San Francisco?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default retrogame shops in New York and San Francisco?

going soon to those 2 cities
    any interesting retrogame shops that you can advise me?

thanks

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 06:59 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

yea theres one in the les heading towards soho called videogamesNY, heres the site for the address, "videogamesnewyork.com", they used to be in st marks and just moved to their new location, fucking sucks that im stuck in florida til next year ....stupid floridian legal system!!!

also if you're gonna be staying in brooklyn, the williamsburg area in particular (MY HOMETOWN!!!) there are a few pawnshops worth checking out if you're in the area but not worth going out of your way 4, theres a pet store/videogame pawnshop (dont ask) on graham with a good selection of ps1 era stuff, not sure about about 16 bit stuff tho, i've been here in florida for the last 3 years so i havent been in a while, there are a few other spots within close proximity but again havent been back in a while, they might not sell retro stuff anymore

there are a few underground spots in chinatown but those are really hard to find without knowing someone, chinatown is also your best bet for imports, sadly i cant recall any offhand

if worse comes to worse u could always just take the holland or gw across the river & troop it to the dp store =)

hope it helps
    Last edited by EX-Soldier; 07-02-2008 at 03:52 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The stores that were good in Chinatown have either closed down or have worsened over the years. Don't bother; NYC is truly a wasteland for retro video games. It kinda makes me chuckle how tourists think NYC must be this haven for anything and everything you could want to buy, so we get this same question over and over and over. Oh, and New Yorkers tend to not be that big on used goods. They either go for the fancy department store stuff or they buy dollar store junk. I don't see anywhere near as many thrift stores and pawn shops as I do elsewhere in the country. Plus I figure rent is WAY too high for those kinds of businesses to thrive. The Salvation Army that used to be down the block from me closed down a couple years ago.

Nothing demonstrates the scenario better than my own personal buying. When I'm in NYC, I do virtually all of my game shopping online, but when I stay with family in the summer, that's when I hit up all the neighboring towns and search for thrift shops and garage sales. Oh yeah, NYC doesn't do yard sales too. Most people don't have a garage or yard to do such a thing, and even if they do, they don't trust strangers enough to hold one. So if you live in typical America suburbia, don't waste your time being jealous of the big cities and fantasizing about how they must have everything a person can dream of because you're fortunate to live where you do in many ways, so feel lucky for your collecting situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://retromap.net

The map is there and you can search for your desire.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Digitpress isn't far at all from NYC. :P If I went anywhere near NYC, I'd be sure to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i'll have to find out from my friend who works at a farm market in the city. he says every thursday theres a stand next to him with a HUGE inventory of classic games for dirt cheap and the guy who runs it doesn't know super mario/duck hunt from a nintendo world championship cart. Basically he described all games for any paticular system are priced similarly to each other.

*edit* oh and digital press ISN"T that far from the city check it out it rocks!
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    i'll have to find out from my friend who works at a farm market in the city. he says every thursday theres a stand next to him with a HUGE inventory of classic games for dirt cheap and the guy who runs it doesn't know super mario/duck hunt from a nintendo world championship cart. Basically he described all games for any paticular system are priced similarly to each other.

*edit* oh and digital press ISN"T that far from the city check it out it rocks!
    Dude, I work in the city every day. If you can find out which farmer's market he's talking about, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

its the farm market at 175th and broadway. If you go there let me know how it is i haven't had a chance to check it out yet. If there's epic loot try to leave some for the rest of us .

*edit* W00T 400th post i leveled up
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    Digitpress isn't far at all from NYC. :P If I went anywhere near NYC, I'd be sure to go.
    Yes, yes! To Kevincal you must listen! The DP store sounds like all you need.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're visiting NYC and you've got a car available to you, I'm sure DP would be worthwhile, but it's not exactly close or easy to get to if you don't drive or won't have a car. I mean, it is in an entirely different state, after all. I'd like to check it out myself, but I imagine it would be a hassle and a half. Using mass transit would surely take multiple buses and trains and take hours. I have taken the train to Jersey before, but it sure was a pain in the butt and just getting from my house in Brooklyn to the train in Manhattan that goes to Jersey takes me close to an hour. There are only a few specific spots the train stops at in Jersey too, and from what I've looked into, it doesn't seem like it gets close to DP's city. Maybe it's possible with Amtrak, but I imagine that just makes things even more complicated and expensive. I dunno, have any of you made the trip with mass transit and can offer any tips?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

San Francisco has zip. There are a couple out in the 'burbs (which aren't amazing anyway), but nothing in the city. SF does have a few flea markets which sometimes have good finds, but they're inconsistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to San Francisco on vacation around the first of May. I even continued or started a thread (can't remember) wanting some info on classic game stores in the proper. I walked Chinatown up and down and found absolutely nothing. I was even hoping for some kind of bootleg game or device but still could not find anything. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe there is one place left in Japantown (not Chinatown) that still sells import games, but not retro ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.