Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which ''failed'' game system do you have the fondest memories of?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn, followed by the Turbo. I don't consider the Dreamcast a failed system, at least not in this part of the world. It was short-lived, and there are various reasons for that, but it was a success in North America while it was around.

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Did the TG16 really fail, in the US?? I know it didn't set the world on fire, but I wouldn't really call it a failure - it survived it's 5 year shelf life.

It did fairly well until the SNES finally made both the Genny and the TG look like a old Colecovision. It had (and still has) some excellent titles, and did hold its own vs. the Genesis, when it was just Sega and NEC in the 16-bit market...
    The Turbo did indeed have games trickling in for a good length of time, but from a commercial standpoint, it was most certainly a failure in North America. Even from the beginning it was never successful here, and it only got worse as time went on. Both Genesis and Turbografx had games that held their own against or even surpassed anything on SNES; that wasn't the problem. It had very poor marketing, practically zero hype/recognition of even its flagship titles, and a general lack of retailer presence. By the time Bonk III CD came out, most Turbo fans had no option other than to purchase it via mail order, because most stores didn't carry that game and many didn't even have any remaining Turbografx stock left by that point. TTI never had the resources to properly manage the system -- after a decent (but brief) early push from them when they first took over and the Duo first released, the system languished badly. The Duo soon found itself in fourth place, behind Sega CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NeoGeo Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Here's a thread made for Sega consoles. I bought both the Saturn and Dreamcast at launch, and the years following were filled with wonder for both systems, but it was the Saturn's legacy that continues to endure with me today. So many totally unique games and genres that haven't ever really made it to other consoles (Panzer Dragoons, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, Astal, Mr. Bones, Virtua Cops, Enemy Zero, etc.) and a number of great console changing additions (NetLink and network gaming, built in hard drive, 3D control pad, etc.) that ensure it's a system that will remain forever in the history books. The Dreamcast started very strong, but I'd say that things started to go stale development-wise when Sega's net losses loomed over every developer. Compare the final release of the DC to the legendary final games of the Saturn (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, Magic Knight Rayearth) and it's pretty safe to say the DC couldn't maintain the momentum it established at the start.

I got into the SMS much later in life, although I'd played it at friends' places as a kid. Looking back though, I'd say it was every bit as strong as the Saturn, both creatively and in their game output. The 3D Glasses still remain a show stopping peripheral that make you wonder why the technology hasn't been re-introduced on later consoles since. As for the games, there's a ton of really awesome games that few can compare with. Wonder Boy III makes all other 8-bit platformers look like child's play, Golden Axe Warrior beats Zelda at its own game, Rescue Mission is a great burst of originality compared to your usual rails light gun game, and then of course there's all the classic franchises that first got their start on the console: Alex Kidd, Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier and Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star sits in pretty esteemed company on that system, with a ton of great RPG offerings like Golvellius, Lord of the Sword, SpellCaster, Miracle Warriors and the aforementioned Golden Axe Warrior.

For a neglected system with only 100 and so games Stateside, it definitely made up for quantity with quality. That Sega did this mostly on their own because of Nintendo's illegal third-party strong arming tactics is even greater reason for praise. So if we're saying "best" failed system, I'd say the Master System, but because I grew up standing behind the Saturn through all its life, I'd have to call it the system I remember most fondly.
    Last edited by grolt; 07-02-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you count it as a failure, then Sega CD. Otherwise, I'd have to go with the Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I nearly joined the chorus of those singing "Dreamcast!" but decided I'd go with 32X instead.

I inherited my brother's Genesis and Sega CD combo when he got married and moved out about that time, and I saved for months to top it off with a 32X. I remember totally geeking out over Star Wars and its polygonal Death Star runs, adventuring through Blackthorne, the smooth polygonal performance of Virtua Racing, and passin' it around with NFL Quarterback Club.

Never did do much more than that with the 32X, but I remain fond because of the memories tied to it.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Atari Lynx. My parents bought one for me in mid 1990. I was amazed by the graphics, sound, and color screen, especially compared to the Game Boy.

I played California Games, Klax, Electrocop, and Ninja Gaiden a lot.

The Lynx failed as a portable, but would it have done better as a home console instead? It was practically one already anyway. The only time I played it was at home plugged into the AC outlet because I didn't have enough money to keep buying six AA batteries every two hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know, maybe it's just me, but if you have 250 games...I don't really think that's failing. Especially when there are so many high calibur (pun intended) games on there.

Passed by before it's time? Yes. Failed? No.

You want FAILED systems?

I will whomp anyone in the thread with my US Laseractive. One giant mammoth that got 18 official discs printed for it, and of those 18, 10 are honest to god games. The rest are Educational or rehash of non-Don Bluth LDs

And while you're recovering from that, I'll be playing my Turbo Duo while waiting for the Macross games and Mortal Kombat to be released on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DustnF
    PSN
    Alfador

Virtual Boy all the way!!! I love that awesome misunderstood thing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bgreenlee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

32x.
    the dreamcast was horrible... not a single good game on the system.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I like alot of failed systems. The NGPC was great but honestly I didn't play it much. The saturn was great but again not alot to play. Neo geo aes was pretty sweet to but...I'll say DC all those emulators and all those great games and man awesome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by bgreenlee View Post
    the dreamcast was horrible... not a single good game on the system.
    Have you ever actually even played one?

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I have the best memories of the Turbo Grafx 16.

This was my first system after the NES and the Sega Master System.

I was the only fellow in the neighborhood with this console and I embraced it dearly. Very few retailers carry games for it and I got many games at Children's Palace as well as Toys R Us. Since games were tough to come by during its time, I kept them all and NEVER sold any. Those games are with me today! (as well as many more)

To this day I have strong love for the Turbo. I continue to enjoy it and the games that are on it even if they would be consider below average. I am Turbo Grafx fan and supporter for ever!
    Well, I can pretty much agree with you, I had almost the exact same experience with the TG-16. I just can't get enough of it and actually I'm exploring PCEngine games as well and boy, there are so many games for it that it still amaze me. On second place I can agree with much of you guys about the DC. We did so many tourneys for the great fighting games for the console, enjoyed every shmup for the console and still have dearly memories of PSO. Great stuff for the DC, I am truly sorry it didn't last longer in business.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

dreamcast in my opion was not a failure, that thing was crazy popular out here, everyone had it, ppl just lost interest when da ps2 dropped, so its not that they did something wrong, what they did they did well, sony just did it better, the best man won (arguably)

but to stay on topic, my favorite failure easily the n64, how the hell this hasnt been mentioned yet is beyond me, many a weekend were spent playing blastcorps & waverace....oh &pilotwings!!! that game doesn't get mentioned enough sadly
    Last edited by EX-Soldier; 07-03-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    my favorite failure easily the n64, how the hell this hasnt been mentioned yet is beyond me
    It hasn't been mentioned yet because it wasn't a failure.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Master System if only for Wonder Boy 2/3 and Phantasy Star.

Sega consoles really have a hold on me.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast without a doubt. While many consider it a failed system because it didn't make it to the end of it's generation, I can honestly say I've never regretted my purchase of one. From launch day forward, it provided me with hours upon hours of entertainment.

Failed in the market, yes. Failed as a game system, no.
    Mostly Harmless

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    It hasn't been mentioned yet because it wasn't a failure.
    beg to differ, nintendo fucked up majorly by arrogantly sticking to expensive carts when the industry was clearly shifting to the more efficient & cost effective disc based games, add to that the long standing tradition of keeping 3rd party developers at arms length reinforcing the stigma that the only good games found on this nintendo system came out of the nintendo camp themselves (this includes rare)

the failure of the n64 to remain relevant for that era, lose exclusivty deals with squaresoft & thus allowing relative newcomer sony (who nintendo inadvertently caused to enter the system war)to muscle there way in, gain headway & usurp the once proud nintendo from its throne and go on an 10 year tyrannical rampage, virtually unchallenged for the next 2 generations in console gaming...yea i'd call that a fuck up....i'd call that a colossal fuck up =(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd love to say 32x or Lynx, but Dreamcast wins by a landslide.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

For some reason I've always had a knack for avoiding the systems doomed to failure when they were new, which I'm sure has saved me a lot of disappointment and cash. I guess then I was part of the problem by not supporting a struggling system, but what can ya do. The closest I came was buying the Dreamcast when it was still somewhat alive but dropped to $100. I barely touch the thing, though, so I wouldn't say I have that many fond memories with it. Honestly, I probably should've waited for the price drop to $50.

I do love an underdog, though, so there's a special place in my heart for all the niche systems I've gotten into over the years. I have gotten loads of enjoyment out of systems like the PC Engine, Sega CD, Virtual Boy, and Neo Geo Pocket Color. As much hate that some may get, I can't help but stand up for them since they all have their merits.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EX-Soldier, I can't understand how one can say the Dreamcast wasn't a failure yet, the N64 was. It simply does not compute. The N64 may have been the beginning of Nintendo's console slump but, it was received by many more people than the DC. Plus, the N64 wasn't the Swan Song that the Dreamcast ended up being. A record breaking launch can not compensate that much.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-03-2008 at 05:56 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives