Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My quest for a Pinball Machine in NJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My quest for a Pinball Machine in NJ

Edit: Scroll down for the latest update. I've decided to use this thread to document my quest.

Original Post:
    Tonight I started cleaning up the gameroom for the first time in about 2 years and I have become motivated (re-motivated) to turn it into the family friendly fun space I always wanted. I'm looking for a pinball machine to round out the attractions. I don't have any specific titles in mind. Something mid-80's to the present, and it must have multi-ball.

I'm hoping to possibly work out a trade for console gaming items. I've got boxed collections of Dreamcast, 2600, Genesis/Nomad, and Jaguar along with a ton of other gaming items including a homemade supergun. I could always sell this stuff to buy the machine outright and I've slowly been doing that, but it could be easier if someone was interested in making a trade. I would make it worth your while.
    Last edited by Goblin; 07-15-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: edit

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM sent
    Last edited by killersquirel; 07-04-2008 at 09:47 AM.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM sent back to killersquirel.

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Yes I am aware of them, but I'm not willing to drop $4k on a new one and I doubt they would consider a trade as I was proposing in my initial post. I know it is a long shot but you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    PM sent back to killersquirel.

Yes I am aware of them, but I'm not willing to drop $4k on a new one and I doubt they would consider a trade as I was proposing in my initial post. I know it is a long shot but you never know.
    He sells used,New and Old machines....From 70s up

He has a warehouse that you can go to by apointment with many older machines it ..

He won't do any trades...But if you sell the stuff maybe you can buy something from him...he usually has some deals going on..
    I bought the red two slot cab in my Sig from him for $300.00
    And I only paid $575.00 for the pinball machine in my sig..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Now if your looking to spend 4K on a machine then..
    Check out...
    http://www.betson.com/
    two walk in locations in NJ..Both have pinball/arcade Machines on Free play..

They both sell used Pinball machines too.
    My Dad bought a Phantom of the Opera pinball machine from them for $1800.00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Played these Pinball machines yesterday In Keansburg amusement park NJ.

Some Pinball Machines for or Sale(most of the Arcade machines were for sale.
    They have older 80s Pinball Machines that they put out once in awhile
    They might have something in the back,to sell cheap..

$3495.00 South Park would not Credit...fixable(I know the machine,I've been going there and playing it for years,I have actually helped fix it one day)
    The Harley Davidson Pin's Right Flipper was stuck..It actually got stuck my second game in..(fixable

$3495.00 South Park Dead Flippers,Won't get the ball halfway up the playfield.:tickled:..fixable
    Simpsons,Badly worn cracked playfield
    Austin Powers(seems slow paced like your supposed to be stoned played it..Nice machine,needs all the rubber to be replaced(worn out)
    Rocky-Bullwinkle $1495..Ball is shot straight down the middle at high speed everytime..It's unplayable like that.nice looking machine,Has some parts held on with duct tape

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Man, for 4k I would make my own pinball table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't been to Keansburg in over 20 years. I just might have to make the drive sometime to satisfy my curiosity.

I may get in touch with Classic Pinball too. I remember talking to them a few years ago at one of the last pinball shows that he ran. I might have something in the works now, time will tell. If this falls through maybe I can get something hooked up with them. I'm also still scouring craigslist and ebay.

Does anybody have a copy of the Mr. Pinball Book/Price Guide? If I'm only going to be buying 1 or 2 tables, is it worth picking up? I figure much of the information is probably available else where online and that little of it is truly unique, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

You may also want to check out an Arcade Machine auction.(if ones coming around this year..

The last one I went to was in Cherry Hill..it had a lot of Pinball Machines.

http://www.superauctions.com/launch/home/index.html#Current%20and%20Upcoming%20Auctions

http://www.usamusement.com
    For information concerning New Jersey and Pennsylvania auctions, please contact Rob Ritterhoff at 1-609-425-4281 or email: rritterhoff@yahoo.com.

http://www.klov.com/events.php

Additional Upcoming Events - Coin-Operated Video Games, Pinballs, and other modern machines

The following 4 companies often have a selection of modern coin-op videogames, pinballs, and redemption machines:
    Super Auctions hosts auctions of (primarily) video-games and pinball machines in California, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Michigan, Misoursi, New Jersey, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. We've attended them and they are a lot of fun. For more information, visit their web site or call them at (714) 535-7000.
    US Amusement Auctions holds auctions selling similar amusement items in Indiana, Ohio, and New Jersey. We have not attended their auctions so I can't tell you much about them.
    Auction Game Sales offers auctions of amusement machines in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. Their web site has traditionally been non-helpful, though recently seems to have gotten a little better. Again, we know absolutely nothing about them other than what we see on the web site. Norton Auctioneers offers auctions, usually from amusement parks, halloween fun-houses, and other tourist attractions that are going out of business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a strange occurrence, my wife and were talking to a neighbor this morning and he mentioned that he just bought a table for his home off Craigslist. After leaving his house we started talking and now our 'maximum' spending limit is a bit higher. While I still can't get a new $4k table, I will definitely be able to get something that has been properly shopped and working. I'm still working on a few things, but will probably get in touch with Classic soon. In the meantime if anyone in the area has one to sell let me know as I now in a position to buy it outright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still on my quest for a machine, so I thought I'd document the search. I paid a visit to TNT in PA last weekend, and I've contacted Classic trying to set something up for this weekend. My short list now contains mostly Dot Matrix games although I am looking into a few older Solid State Machines too. I'm using pinmame to try and test as many of them out as possible.

It's funny how I'm now so committed to getting a machine that I am actually rationalizing the thought of spending $2.5k on one. I started out wanting to go cheap, trying to trade for it. Then I begin to think I should just buy one that needed some work. I have no doubt I could figure out how to do the repairs myself, I just don't have the time right now to start another major project. Then I start to think that I should spend a little more and get one that is fully working. Then I started to really narrow down the games that I want and like the game play of and the price again starts to creep up. Then I begin to figure that if I'm going to spend close to $2k on a game, that perhaps I should spend even more and get one that has been fully shopped out, so I can get some kind of guarantee with it.

I'm beginning to think I'm nuts, but then again I don't often splurge on random things. I still have a standard def tv, I drive an average American car that is paid off, and I have absolutely no credit card debt. So why shouldn't I treat myself to something that I want. Now I just need to find what I want hopefully locally. What is sick is that I'm beginning to imagine owning multiple pinball machines before I even have my first.

So the quest continues...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Just remember that the older machines are constantly needing repairs and parts. You will end up spending the extra money in the long run anyway.

Lerxstnj
    (owner of an original Bally KISS - 1978)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I'm still on my quest for a machine, so I thought I'd document the search. I paid a visit to TNT in PA last weekend, and I've contacted Classic trying to set something up for this weekend. My short list now contains mostly Dot Matrix games although I am looking into a few older Solid State Machines too. I'm using pinmame to try and test as many of them out as possible.

It's funny how I'm now so committed to getting a machine that I am actually rationalizing the thought of spending $2.5k on one. I started out wanting to go cheap, trying to trade for it. Then I begin to think I should just buy one that needed some work. I have no doubt I could figure out how to do the repairs myself, I just don't have the time right now to start another major project. Then I start to think that I should spend a little more and get one that is fully working. Then I started to really narrow down the games that I want and like the game play of and the price again starts to creep up. Then I begin to figure that if I'm going to spend close to $2k on a game, that perhaps I should spend even more and get one that has been fully shopped out, so I can get some kind of guarantee with it.

I'm beginning to think I'm nuts, but then again I don't often splurge on random things. I still have a standard def tv, I drive an average American car that is paid off, and I have absolutely no credit card debt. So why shouldn't I treat myself to something that I want. Now I just need to find what I want hopefully locally. What is sick is that I'm beginning to imagine owning multiple pinball machines before I even have my first.

So the quest continues...
    Awesome man...I'm looking forward to reading your continued document on the search..

Very much ,similarities in us..the way I was before I got my first machine.
    Thought of selling lots of games,..saving for a 3-4k machine..I really like South Park Pin..
    I have no dept besides one Credit card bill because I like to race my mimi motorcycles.....I still have a standard TV and have an american car paid off...
    I go treat myself to what I want..As you only live once..

I Just happen to be looking on ebay for local ebay pinball sales(fooling around) and came across my machine.located just right over the river from me..with no way to get it home at the time..I even thought to wheel the thing home somehow-I was thinking real nuts..I wanted it so bad....I was willing to go $1000.00 on it mainly because it was shopped and was so close.

I had been talking about owning a pinball mavhine with my dad,all of a sudden the subject just came up one day...He had always wanted one and the time came for him to get one..
    I almost bought a machine at close to 4K before I bought my pocketbikse/got into the racing...and the machine I have now..

But the ebay eller in south jersey,though he had a great deal he would not provide me with real photos..he was using flyers to picture the machine and he was able to take pictures as he had other machines listed with actual pictures..
    I didn't bother going through it though the seller bugged me several times if I wanted the machine..

Now,I love looking at the machine..I turn it on at night and just let the lights shine..
    It gives me no problems besises a simple wiggle of a bulb here and there...
    I don't play it as much as I used to because it's noisey and my landlords are home/retired..
    But still I dream of owning several machines..I often think,how I'd try to fit them in..
    My father in law knows a guy with a Twilight Zone machine wrapped up in his basement..I've been trying to see if the guy will ever sell it..
    My Dads not done..he has three machines and wants more..bu he ran out of room...If he buys house he'll fill a basement up with them..

I told my Dad..if for some reason he ever wanted to part with his machines(never) I will take them..I don't have room here for them so I'll store them until I move..

I'd say treat yourself to something you want..you be happy you did,,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Awesome man...I'm looking forward to reading your continued document on the search..
    Cool, at least someone is reading this.

I went down to Classic today at lunch, and he was great. Ultimately didn't have anything I wanted, but he gave me lots to think about. Some of the titles I had considered he discouraged me away from either due to unique tough to replace parts, or games that have awful game play. The hardest part is picking out titles that match our personality and interests while at the same time having decent game play.

At this point I'm very much leaning towards dropping the cash on a Simpson's Pinball Party. It's the one I really ultimately want, and I'm really afraid that anything else I settle on will leave me disappointed in a few months. There are a few older machines I'm considering too. Right now I'm just trying to make the numbers seem a little more palatable before I pull the trigger. I'm not really in any hurry, but I do want to buy before the fall when Christmas shoppers begin to drive up prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Yea,he's a really nice guy..

I see some new stuff on his webpage that I want to inquire about..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Keansburg Amusement park

They brought out the Bally Mata Hari..
    It works well,a few bulbs out...I'd likle to own this machine if I could ...I like Bally

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Played several Pinball Games against my Son...He doesn't play it as quick as I do though..
    My EM is a very fast-shoots the ball around quick machine..

My Dads EM plays at a much slower pace..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my quest has now been completed. Saturday morning I picked up my machine, a house owned Simpson's Pinball Party. I used the pinball classifieds to find the seller who was somewhat local to me. This thing is in perfect condition - no playfield wear or cabinet wear at all. While it wasn't cheap, you would be hard pressed to tell that it wasn't bought new. A few things could have gone wrong with the move, like it only fitting 3/4 way into my SUV and then having to be tied town securely with climbing rope. Then to get it into the house we had to remove the door going to the garage since clearance was just a hair too shallow. A hand truck was key to getting it down the six stairs to the basement, and we did with just 2 of us, but a third would have been better. We had a few tense moments on the stairs but it all worked out. Once we set it up, we thought the ceiling clearance wasn't sufficient to swing the back box up so we removed the back legs again raised the box and then put the legs back on. It turned out that clearance wasn't an issue, we just got nervous and wanted to be careful. The only problem I've had is that the keys supplied only work the coin door and not the backbox. I was able to remove the screws holding the lock plate and remove the lock that way. It was a good thing I did since one of the batteries was starting to leak, although no damage was caused. Since this is where the main boards reside, I also used the opportunity to replace the firmware eproms with the latest downloaded from the Stern web site.

I still can't get over how great it looks. We must have spent a total of 8 hours over the course of 2 days playing it and trying to get a handle on everything. Sadly this meant I missed what sounded like a great NAVA meeting. I had a ton of stuff all boxed in the garage and ready to go for sale, but once we got it setup I just couldn't leave. Now I need to figure out another venue to sell my excess to help offset the cost of this.

I'm thoroughly glad that I ended up going the route I did - buying a used low play table from a collector. In the past month aside from ebay and craigslist, I have been traveling the area talking to various dealers trying to get a sense of what the prices were. For those who offered warranties and fully shopped machines, their prices were significantly higher then I paid, in fact they were closed to the price I could get one new. I had a few collectors and operators offer me this same game for much than it was worth. While this is a popular machine, it really is a buyers market right now. The key was to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. I used the pinball classifieds as a guide: 8 people across the country were selling the same title and were all extremely close in price(~$200 variation), which to me seemed to dictate what the fair price was. I did have one offer for about $600 less for a machine that recently came off a route. It clearly showed it, and I couldn't be guaranteed that nothing was going to break once I got it home. Sure I didn't have the same guarantee with the table I ended up buying either, but you need to feel comfortable with what you are buying and who you are buying it from. I didn't think saving a few bucks was worth the risk of buying one that was beat to hell, although I did seriously consider it. I still intend to get an older solid state machine in the near future to work on as a project, but for my first this was a good buy. I wanted more or less plug and play and that is what I got. This particular title is considered to be very deep in terms of the game play and the game sequences which, if the posts on other forums are to be believed, means that I should not become bored with it too quickly. Plus being a Simpsons fan it looks good in the gameroom which in some sense was almost as important to us as it being a good game. This way we got the best of both worlds. In the end I am happy that I didn't end up settling for something else.
    Last edited by Goblin; 10-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Let me be the first to congratulate you sir.

I grew up with a 1979 Williams Phoenix machine in my basement so I too have a fond love of Pinball.

Of course, my dream machine would be a Medieval Madness, or a Lord of the Rings ... but Simpsons is pretty damned good from what I can remember!

Enjoy it and 'ball in good health!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"