Thread: TG-16 Controller Port Repair (pics added- it's a different problem now)

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TG-16 Controller Port Repair (pics added- it's a different problem now)

Let's say I... I mean my friend, bought a TG-16 at a garage sale for $20. He was so excitied that he didn't completely check out the Turbografx's condition and when he got it home he discovered that there are 2 pins broken off of the controller port. Yeah, he can still play games with this damage, but select and down don't work. Is there any way that you can repair this? I was thinking that one could unsolder the broken port and replace it with another one. Would that work?

(edit)
    Okay then, here's a pic and prepare to be shocked.
    Let me repeat that I've never had a TG-16 before and I honestly thought that the controller port was supposed to look like this:

I think that the controller itself broke in the port and now it looks like this. Is there any way to fix this problem? I'm guessing I should pull out the broken part with some pliers. That's the only solution that I can think of.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 07-05-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I was thinking that one could unsolder the broken port and replace it with another one. Would that work?
    Hell yeah. I'm not familiar with the TG-16, so I don't know if the port would be readily available or not, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) COUNT SMRIFNACK's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    COUNT SMRIFNACK

The TG controller port is exclusive it the TG. If the pins are broken off inside the connector on the console then it isn't going to be fixable without another controller port. If you found another TG unit that lets say something else was wrong with then you cound swap ports.

Wait, the port on the console is the "female" end of the connector, how is that broken? Do you mean that the pins are broken off the cicuit board? If possible, take a pic of what is broken to clarify (sp?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was a standard DIN connector, which would be relatively easy to replace, but I guess I could be wrong.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you're looking at is the tip of the controller plug itself, stick in the console's controller port. It's a common problem; it used to happen to my TG16 all the time. Sometimes when I unplugged the controller the tip stayed in the controller port and it looked like that. I would have to plug and unplug the controller repeatedly until the tip came out of the controller port. The good news is that the broken pins shouldn't affect the functionality of the console itself, just that controller. Pull that thing out with pliers, like you said, or just plug/unplug the controller until it comes out, and get a new controller.

Insert Coin (Level 0) COUNT SMRIFNACK's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    COUNT SMRIFNACK

Yeah, that is the controller's end stuck. Just pull it out. You can get another controller cord here http://www.tzd.com/proddetail.asp?prod=005
    and plug it into your controller pad, if you don't have another controller or want to fix that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And yes...

It's a STANDARD 8 pin DIN jack/plug combo for the controllers and console. I just picked up a new plug to wire onto the end of the cord at my local electronics store.

RJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

wow that looked odd at first but yeah, that is the back end.. of the controller cable end.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS