Thread: Is it worth getting a Playstation 3?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it worth getting a Playstation 3?

I just bought my second HDTV, 30" Sanyo CRT 1080i HT30746, which is the same model as my other one. It's a great television, pretty light for a CRT, great picture and its the perfect size for my wife and I in our apartment.

It does have some cons such as 1080i and somewhat limited connections, one HDMI, three components, one RCA/S-Video shared.

Right now I do have two Playstation 2s, one original and one slim. The original has given a DRE once and a long while while the slim I will taking with me to the sandbox when I deploy next year.

There also seems to be an undocumented issue with this TV model and using the Playstation 2 with component cables, it just doesn't work. And right now I've got a Sega Saturn on RCA on one and an old DVD player on the other. I just never had a reason to buy component cables for the DVD player since I've been using the Xbox 360 to upconvert on the other HDTV since we've had it.

My wife has given me permission to buy a PS3 if I thought it was a good idea. She's a big fan of the Medal of Honor series and plays a bit of other games.

Now I already own an Xbox 360 and there isn't any PS3 title that jumps out at me as a must buy that I can't already buy on the 360.

Can anybody give me some advice, pros/cons and what not if I should get a PS3 to put on the TV in the living room. It would be nice to be able to upconvert DVDs and have the option of getting Blu-Ray discs down the road (even though the TV is 1080i, surely I'll buy a 1080p at somepoint). It's just that I could save quite a few bucks by just getting a dedicated upconverting DVD player.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well but there probably won't be any hardware BC models in the future. In case I missed saying it, I'm only interested in buying a 20/60GB model, probably 60GB since I won't be able to run any ethernet to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

• I have the exact same TV and I've had a PS2 hooked up via component for years. For what it's worth, I had problems with the quality of the official Sony component cables but the Pelican and, I believe, Mad Katz ones have worked just fine.
    • Despite being limited to 1080i, it's still a fair visual leap from 480i/480p over a clean connection. Sure, it's not 1080p, but fire up a BD like Ratatouille or an HDDVD like Grand Prix and it'll still blow your mind on that set right there.
    • It's normally easier to get a clean connection out of a cheap HDMI cable than a component cable, plus it reduces clutter. Pick 'em up from monoprice.com to save $$.
    • PS1 games over the HDMI look pretty god damn nice, especially since a large majority of them won't work on a PS2 over component.
    • Get either a 20gb or 60gb for sure for the PS2 compatibility. 80gbs are neat and all, but you just can't beat the 20/60s, especially since Sony doesn't seem too terribly inclined to resume the backwards compatibility updates.
    • Virtual memory cards for PS1/PS2 games kick ass. Seriously.
    • Good luck finding a 20gb...those things are impossible to scare up. 60gbs are a bit of a pain, too. If you do manage to find a 20gb for a nice price, snag a cheap wireless router that you could easily convert to a wireless bridge.
    • I bought my PS3 mainly as a BD player and signed up for Netflix the day I bought it. Owning movies is neat and all, but when they're like $30 a pop, I'll just stick with the all-you-can-eat buffet at $15/mo.
    • The only two games I own on PS3 are Time Crisis 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4. I would have bought Splinter Cell Double Agent but it's the Ubisoft Shanghai version and not the Ubisoft Montreal version, so fuck that noise. Now to just buy Armored Core 4, Call of Duty 4, Elder Scrolls 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 to keep the theme running! Too bad they're all way out of the price range that I'd feel comfortable paying for them.
    • Factor in the cost of a PS3 remote. You do not want to use the sixaxis/DS3 as a remote control. Don't believe me? Try it!
    • Sales tax on a $400-$500 system sucks. If you can dodge it in any way (buying online through a site that doesn't charge sales tax, buying it while in a state with no sales tax, whatever), do so!
    • If you do get a PS3, make sure you create PAL, NTSC-U, and NTSC-J Playstation Network accounts. There's always something released in one territory that's not available in another (demos, trailers, games, etc).

edit - hey oklahoma buddy

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

should u get a ps3???

long answer.......yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegardentool View Post
    Now I already own an Xbox 360 and there isn't any PS3 title that jumps out at me as a must buy that I can't already buy on the 360.
    There's your answer. It sounds like you're already leaning towards "no". I'm in the same boat kind of, I want one but then I'm not sure why. MGS 4 is pretty much the only reason I can see to own one right now, and i"m not ready to spend that much money for one game. I'd hold off if I were you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I too would hold off. I have one, and use it for mostly for some movies...but that is it. Its not a bad system, but right now it is hard to justify the price in my own opionion. Wait for a significant price drop then swoop in.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If any of these games interest you, then it's worth getting:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Metal Gear Solid 4 (this one forced me to finally get a PS3)
    Folklore
    Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

Otherwise, unless you've got a hard-on for Blu-Ray movies, wait.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Default Oh, yes.

I did and my copy of the original Crash Bandicoot looks great.

OK, all kidding aside there are a few good games for it. They look great on a big TV and I don't even have a HD TV.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllSchoolGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    poida80

Default fence sitter

man thats a tought question, i myself am still on the fence about the ps3...as with you there are no games that jump out at me..well mgs4 was 1 of them but having played it im very disappointed with passivly watching movies instead of playing a game, the new update is bricking systems and the few games they do have, by all accounts, have more bugs them the amazon.
    I find the controls the most uncomfortable ever made especially the l2/r2 triggers. also i personally dont give two hoots about bluray as i dont feel the need to have to buy all my movies over again.

HOWEVER its region free games is a HUGE step in the right direction...it will be the only way i get rockband as i can import from the states for half the price of it here in australia.

hmm after reading that back to myself i am no longer on the fence....i might get 1 if the get down to under 200 bucks for my console collection but otherwise i am gonna skip this system.

Graphics arent everything

"Gamer for life..or until my hands fall off."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS3 is an excellent machine. Here's a list of some exclusives you may or may not be interested in:

Out now:
    Folklore
    Heavenly Sword
    MGS 4
    Ratchet and Clank
    Uncharted
    Resistance
    Motorstorm
    Hot Shots Golf
    SingStar
    Eye of Judgment
    Warhawk
    GT 5 Prologue

Upcoming:

Final Fantasy XIII/Versus XIII
    Resistance 2
    LittleBigPlanet
    Team Ico project
    White Knight Chronicles
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Disgaea 3
    Heavy Rain
    Tekken 6

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

If you have permission, have the disposable income, and can find a 60 gig[PAUSE FOR WARNING]

Do NOT get the 20 gig model: nearly every 3rd party AAA game requires a 2 - 4 gig install; that 20 gig drive will fill up fast. You need the bigger hard drive, unless you feel comfortable replacing it yourself, which admittedly is totally possible.

[/PAUSE FOR WARNING] buy it now.

If the backwards compatibility wasn't an issue, I'd say hold off. I love my PS3, but I spend way more time with the third 360, red rings and all. It'll be cheaper come the holidays, I'd bet money on it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    If you have permission, have the disposable income, and can find a 60 gig[PAUSE FOR WARNING]

Do NOT get the 20 gig model: nearly every 3rd party AAA game requires a 2 - 4 gig install; that 20 gig drive will fill up fast. You need the bigger hard drive, unless you feel comfortable replacing it yourself, which admittedly is totally possible.

[/PAUSE FOR WARNING] buy it now.

If the backwards compatibility wasn't an issue, I'd say hold off. I love my PS3, but I spend way more time with the third 360, red rings and all. It'll be cheaper come the holidays, I'd bet money on it.
    He'd be better off getting an 80GB MGS 4 bundle, IMO. It has 85-90% BC and a Dual Shock 3, plus he already owns a PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would wait till they release Home and Little Big Planet, by then they will have all the kinks ironed out and something that will make the console more family friendly, therefore a softer sell. They will probably have the best SKU by then also.

If you want your ps2 and ps1 games to look better and want to watch movies in the awesome blu-ray format then get it now if you can't wait.

There are some really great games on the system that are representative of what the ps3 can do, but on a whole the system still hasn't taken the foothold it needs, they just recently released 2.4 update which added much needed features, but botched it a bit, they are still having some technical issues, that's the main reason I say wait. Unless you MUST play Metal Gear 4 right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

That 1080i native TV set is going to be a killer for most ALL PS3 games. If your set was 1080p native, or even 720p native, you would have a much better PS3 experience, sadly.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found a used 60GB for 375 with 2 games and HDMI cable. I think im going to go ahead and get it. seems like the 80GB has a lot of small performance issues much like the 360 emulation which is why I don't use it.

probably will try to sell the games to bring the final price down to around 325 as well.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    That 1080i native TV set is going to be a killer for most ALL PS3 games. If your set was 1080p native, or even 720p native, you would have a much better PS3 experience, sadly.
    correct me if i'm wrong but I didn't think native resolution was a big issue with a CRT?

my HDTV CRT is...well i have no idea what its native resolution is but it only goes to 1080i and the PS3 looks great on it set to 720P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but I didn't think native resolution was a big issue with a CRT?
    Pretty much right, but it's important to note that on the set he has that some games will suffer from having text that's way, way, way too small to read (or it'll be a bit out of focus). A bit similar to the problem that some 360 games (Dead Rising!) suffer on non-HD sets. It used to be a problem with the PSN, but since the overhaul everything has been a lot easier on the eyes. Right now my biggest problem is reading the text around objects while wearing the solid eye in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm going to have to keep my eyes open some more as when I called him back after we were both off work, he didn't answer. I waited around in Oklahoma City for nearly an hour after work before heading home (45 minutes away). Found out when I got home that he had deleted the post off Craigslist so I guess he sold it without even bothering to answer his phone to tell me.

Some people on Craigslist are very inconsiderate. But then again I've found some really good other deals its a trade-off.