Thread: Anyone here own a ColecoVision or ADAM computer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Anyone here own a ColecoVision or ADAM computer?

Trying to get a Colecovision on Ebay but a ADAM standalone plays the carts to so at this point I would take either for the best deal. Anyone here own either of these? Wanna sell (I am in Canada) also what are your impressions, stories etc. THANKS!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Colecovision. The hardware is kind of iffy (and it's not my system, that's just how it is). In particular, it doesn't always read the cartridges, much like an old NES. If you like that era of games, its library is terrific. However, many games are hampered by the poor controllers. They're not as bad as Atari 5200 controllers, but they're still not good. I have the ultra-weird Super Action Controllers as well, and they are a bit more responsive, but still far from perfect. I'm told the Wico controllers are better, but they're hard to come by.

Another thing about Colecovision is that the system, extra controllers, and modules tend to be expensive. A lot of the games are fairly cheap, though.

I am considering selling my Colecovision stuff, but I don't think I'm ready to do so just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Colecovision. I just don't have any more room for any other sysems right now though. However, I wouldn't mind having an Adam Comp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my friends says that ColecoVision systems are pretty hard to find. Unless, you go on eBay.
    Last edited by niolani; 07-13-2008 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to own a Coleco/Adam setup, but ebayed it in 2004. Huge box, Adam needs to run via printer, as PSU is in the printer. Coleco connects to the Adam via edge connector. Nice keyboard, Adam does typewriter mode or (built in) WP mode. Printer is daisy wheel, and dead slow if you're a fast typer. And loud, be prepared to warn the neighbours that it is NOT a machine gun, but indeed your Adam daisy wheel printer. Coleco joystick connects to the keyboard via attachment, doubles as numeric keypad, very thoughtful.
    The printer erases the Adam tapes, so don't store the tapes near the printer. Warning sheet about this is (was) supplied. As the Adam is connected to the printer, there is always the worry that printer might erase tape. Nasty.
    Donkey Kong tape for Adam is a most excellent conversion.
    I used to belong the the UK Adam User Group (London), with a quarterly newsletter, nowadays defunct.
    On the whole, Coleco was a great gaming console, and Adam was also often used by myself, either for computing, or gaming as well.
    Anything else I can think of I post more later.
    Last edited by tom; 08-08-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also worth noting the ADAM has built in composite output out of the box, so you don't have to pay the high cost of getting your Colecovision AV modded. You do need to buy a cable for it though to get audio out of the expansion port, I think eColeco sells them. And you can rip the power supply out of the printer so you don't have that piece of junk taking up room, and the switches don't seem to suffer from age like Colecovision switches do.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitCaged's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I have a Colecovision. The hardware is kind of iffy (and it's not my system, that's just how it is). In particular, it doesn't always read the cartridges, much like an old NES. If you like that era of games, its library is terrific. However, many games are hampered by the poor controllers. They're not as bad as Atari 5200 controllers, but they're still not good.
    Cant you just 2600 controllers on a Colecovision.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitCaged View Post
    Cant you just 2600 controllers on a Colecovision.
    They use the same plug type, but there are a few problems with that. One is the fact that the CV uses a 12 character keypad on its face plus it has 2 fire buttons instead of one. Certain games (Tutankham, HERO for example) use each fire button for a different function.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I've thought about getting a Colecovision, but have always been wary of the hardware issues. The games seem fairly inexpensive and available, but they are only good if your console still works.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I ended up picking up four Colecovisions before I found a working one. The first one was bought off someone on Atari Age, and it didn't work when it arrived. I bought two in thrift stores, and neither of those would even turn on. The fourth one was bought in a thrift still in a battered box, and it works almost right away (I have to press the reset button to unscramble the graphics).

There are some pretty good games for the Colecovision. I have bought more than 40 games for mine in the past two to three years. Nothing too far from the 'dirt common' field, although I do have Scott Huggin's homebrew of Spectar (which was the whole reason I sought out a working console in the first place). I use the Super Action Controllers for better control since the standard controllers are too bulky and seriously un-ergonomic. I've bought a couple third-party controllers, but I still go back to the Super Action Controllers.