Thread: PS2 has a bad fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 has a bad fan?

Hey guys,

Just pulled out my PS2 from *cough* I guess you could say storage ;p, and it works just fine I guess, reads everything and all. But whenever it's loading anything it makes a very weird noise, to me it sounds like something is wrong with the fan.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Know a fix?

I've only played Guilty Gear X with it so far, but basically whenever were choosing stages and such or loading it makes the sound, but when were actually playing no sound (everythings pre-loaded I guess ><)

Thanks for any help!

Dao2-SKP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just pulled out my PS2 from *cough* I guess you could say storage ;p, and it works just fine I guess, reads everything and all. But whenever it's loading anything it makes a very weird noise, to me it sounds like something is wrong with the fan.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Know a fix?

I've only played Guilty Gear X with it so far, but basically whenever were choosing stages and such or loading it makes the sound, but when were actually playing no sound (everythings pre-loaded I guess ><)

Thanks for any help!

Dao2-SKP
    That noise is the disc spinning.
    Guilty Gear X is a blue-bottomed CD based game, a format which has problems with many PS2 consoles.
    I just happened to buy Guilty Gear X the other day, and it does the same thing.
    Funny thing is though, it will not read every single time. I have to set it into the disc bay in a certain way to prevent this from happening. (the label's picture facing me, basically)
    While this issue comes from the many marks on the bottom of the disc, the loud noise does not.
    It has to spin faster when this type of disc is read.
    All of my CD based games sound like this, and the same goes for my brother's PS2.

Don't worry, your PS2 is fine.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    That noise is the disc spinning.
    Guilty Gear X is a blue-bottomed CD based game, a format which has problems with many PS2 consoles.
    I just happened to buy Guilty Gear X the other day, and it does the same thing.
    Funny thing is though, it will not read every single time. I have to set it into the disc bay in a certain way to prevent this from happening. (the label's picture facing me, basically)
    While this issue comes from the many marks on the bottom of the disc, the loud noise does not.
    It has to spin faster when this type of disc is read.
    All of my CD based games sound like this, and the same goes for my brother's PS2.

Don't worry, your PS2 is fine.
    *phew* ok thanks ;p gonna try out another game just to make sure ^^ So a silver bottomed wouldn't have this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*phew* ok thanks ;p gonna try out another game just to make sure ^^ So a silver bottomed wouldn't have this problem?

It isn't a problem. When using a DVD game (silver bottom) the PS2 drive spins at 4x. When using a CD game (blue bottom) the drive spins at 24x. That's just how it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Silver bottoms are plain DVD's.
    They will not make the loud noise, and your chances with reading problems are minimal.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very cool thanks guys, tested and ur right! wonder why I never noticed it afore><

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a similar issue with Wizardry. In my case, it's bad enough that the game sometimes dies because it can't read the disc. I recently found a workaround though - you can partially eject the disc and immediately reload it, and the game will recover. At least Wizardry does.