Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Default Civilization Revolution

Anybody else playing this? I bought both the 360 and DS versions late last week. I've played all the way through a game on my 360 and barely started a game on my DS.

The DS version is definitely disappointing. I really wish they would've put the game out on the PSP instead. It would've looked better, and the DS version doesn't really need a touch screen anyway (nor does the second screen do *that* much that I couldn't live without it).

The 360 version I really enjoy. Yes it's a *very* slimmed down version of Civ 4 (which I *adore*) but I enjoy it for what it is nonetheless.

Any other thoughts/opinions out there on CivRev?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought the DS version but so far my wife hasn't let me play it because she's always on it. I'm debating about the 360 version-demo was fun but I've got a nice pile of games I haven't touched yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been debating buying the DS version. When I go on long trips I usually bring my PSP that has a rip of the PSX Civ2 port that Activision did on it. I just don't know about this Revolution version since it sounds like it is just a dumbed down civ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I hope to buy this when the price drops. I've tried getting into Civ in the past but it's so in depth that I get lost and bored so this sounds perfect for me.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    I've been debating buying the DS version. When I go on long trips I usually bring my PSP that has a rip of the PSX Civ2 port that Activision did on it. I just don't know about this Revolution version since it sounds like it is just a dumbed down civ.
    I've got Civ2 ripped for my PSP too. Which is why I'm disappointed that we don't get Rev for it. The graphics of Civ2 I like. The graphics of Civ 4/rev are totally different though, and they're just slumming it on the DS.

Dumbed down is strong. It's simpler to be sure. But I think it really has to be in order to play as well as it does on the console. The 360 especially controls *really* well, which is stunning to me for a game I'm used to using a keyboard for.

(I was actually hoping my chatpad would come in handy but you don't even need it, not that it would work anyway!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was looking forward to this game after playing the demo and picked the game up when it was released. It's a nice change from the usual FPS games that have been flooding the market lately. I understand that they toned it down for the console, but I wish that the gameplay was a little deeper and lasted a little longer since it all ends right when I'm really getting into the game.

I guess maybe I should pick up the PC games for a little more depth.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I was looking forward to this game after playing the demo and picked the game up when it was released. It's a nice change from the usual FPS games that have been flooding the market lately. I understand that they toned it down for the console, but I wish that the gameplay was a little deeper and lasted a little longer since it all ends right when I'm really getting into the game.
    My wife discovered the short term play as well when she conquered everything. To prolong play and actually do a victory condition other than domination (her favorite thing in Civ), she leaves one civilization barely alive as she goes about her tasks. Every once in a while she'll thwomp her lone opponent to keep them in line.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've played the game through once each on the DS and 360 now, and started a second game on the DS (my 360 time will be split with GTA4).

I definitely enjoy the DS version a little more than I did at first, but I like the 360 version better. On the city screen on the 360 you can see your defensive force. Not true on the DS which sucks. But they play with the same rules.

If you're a fan of Civ 2 at all, Civ Rev seems very much to me like Civ 2 with a lot of the cool stuff from Civ 4 added in (like cultural borders and armies). The worker side of things is extremely simple, but on the whole it's a great adaptation for the consoles that I'd recommend for any Civ fan.