Thread: TurboGrafx 16 EXP pinout

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Default TurboGrafx 16 EXP pinout

All the links in other threads are dead so here we go again!

Anybody have a working link for the pinout of this thing... pretty obvious why I want it: composite a/v out without searching and shelling for a Booster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Damn, I found it once (just now tried to look for it and failed) and did it so if you cant find anything on it in say a week Ill crack my system open and draw out the pins for you.

Cheers and hope you the best. that mod truly rocks.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbturbo.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    All the links in other threads are dead so here we go again!

Anybody have a working link for the pinout of this thing... pretty obvious why I want it: composite a/v out without searching and shelling for a Booster.
    Last edited by 77punk; 07-15-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I did not write this, but I saved the original document on my hard drive, and am posting it for posterity's sake. Note that I found the use of a capacitor for the video line to be extraneous and sometimes even interfered with the signal quality, so you probably do not need it.

Diagram from the back of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx, right side up:

AR GG 01 VM 32 30 27 GG 17 20 22 23 13 11 10 08 GG 05 03 GG VV VN VR
    02 CD 35 34 VU 29 26 15 19 21 VJ 14 12 VG 09 07 06 04 24 VT 37 36 VP
    AL VV VS 33 31 28 25 16 VL VK QQ VI VH QQ VF VE VD VC VB VA GG VZ VQ

The signals that are important for tapping the stereo audio, NTSC video,
    and NTSC RGB signals from the unit are:

AR -- Audio Right
    AL -- Audio Left
    VZ -- External composite video, connected to R145. Note -- this may need
    to be externally bypassed to ground with a capacitor to use directly
    as a video feed. Also used as a vertical sync signal for RGB
    connections.

GG -- Ground

VR -- Blue RGB signal
    VP -- Green RGB signal
    VQ -- Red RGB signal
    VN -- Horizontal sync signal

To connect the PCE or Turbo to a standard television set or VCR, use the
    following pin connections:

AR and GG \ Connect these to RCA cables, ground going to the "shield" or
    -- outer metal wrapping, and AR or AL going to the "signal" or
    AL and GG / center pin. These plug directly into your Audio In R/L on your
    TV or VCR.

VZ and GG -- Similarly, connect GG to the "shield" and VZ to the "signal" of
    an RCA cable. This connects to the Video In on your TV or VCR.
    For a clearer picture, connect a 0.1 uF capacitor between the
    two terminals on the side of the cable that connects to the
    PCE/Turbo.

VR/VP/VQ/VN -- If you have an older RGB monitor capable of horizontal sync at
    NTSC frequencies (around 15 kHz), you can use it as a monitor
    for your PCE/Turbo. Connect VR, VP, and VQ to the blue,
    green, and red inputs of the monitor. Connect VN to the
    horizontal sync input, and VZ to the vertical sync input. If
    the monitor only has a single sync input, use VZ. You should
    have an incredibly clear, crisp picture!

NOTE -- Most modern monitors will *NOT* sync this slowly.
    Monitors of the "Sony Multisync" variety of old (e.g. the
    "2A") are capable of syncing to these frequencies. Also,
    monitors marked as "Amiga Compatible" should sync to the NTSC
    frequency as well.
    Credit to the original author goes to: Joseph LoCicero, IV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

You are both gentlemen and scholars. Looks like I have some work to do tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was about to ask for this myself. Thank you.

By the way, does someone know if the TG can be modded for S-Video? Since I couldn't find anything on the web I'd say no but maybe someone here knows better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Worked like a charm! I used some of the ends from PC case LEDs which are perfect for this application. They are the same height and width as the TG pins, and when done right, you only need three of them

Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

S-Video requires a circuit to be made, with a video encoder interpreting the RGB signals.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

I loved this mod since both of my TG16 systems Coax sockets suck and for a system that bragged about having great color a Coax just sucks..

Cheers and glad to be of help. I really want to find out how to mod it to make a flip switch between regions but I heard that it takes a very crazy switch and takes some trace cutting and so.

TURBO GRAFX 16 RULES!
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    S-Video requires a circuit to be made, with a video encoder interpreting the RGB signals.
    hummmm.... I think that I've a dead PlayStation around somewhere. I could take the CXA1645 from it and give it a shot.

Do you happen to know a site where the process is explained or should the CXA1645 datasheet information sufice?

EDIT:
    I found out that the datasheet has a recommended circuit. Anyway, any other source of info would come handy.
    Last edited by izarate; 07-16-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

man that would rock if in fact you get the s-video to work. I am so down.. keep us posted.. I couldnt even get my Genny's s-video to work because I just gave up cause I didnt have enough info and what I made didnt work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this isn't needed anymore but I thought I'd post it anyway:

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

It's the PC Engine expansion port pinout, which is the same as the TG16's.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is probably considered necroposting, but I thought I'd add to this thread.

I found this topic through Google with the search terms "TurboGrafx 16 composite" and it's probably the only relevant link so I thought I'd chime in.

You can get some nice pre-made cables (with minimal modification) that can fit the pins on the expansion slot on the back of a TG16. I get them at http://www.frontx.com . They're located in Malaysia, but they're safe because I've bought from them before. Free international shipping too. Which is beyond nice.

They offer a lot of pre-made cables you can't get anywhere else as far as I've seen. Cables that include external to internal connectors and odd stuff like that which you usually only get OEM with new computers, add-in cards and motherboards.

Following this diagram: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php I've worked out how to use a 1/8th inch stereo jack to a 1x3 pin header connector cable, re-jigger modifying the cable by pulling out the center ground pin (which is easy to do with these header blocks) and inserting it into a single pin header connector, then I simply use a 1/8th inch to stereo RCA adapter I had laying around (in truth having a 1/8th connector gives me more flexibility anyway). Then what I do is make my own RCA to a 1x2 header video cable by buying a strip of female terminals (which are nice to have extra of anyway) and a 1x2 header connector (marking which is ground and which is vid) and taking an existing RCA cable with one end stripped and tinned make my video connection.

Is this a good solution? Let me know. The way I look at it I've saved myself half the work by buying a pre-made cable that I only have to modify a little bit. In many ways it's similar to what this guy has done except with the use of a stereo jack and only one ground instead of a pair of stereo RCA plugs and two grounds. The video remains the same though except with a more stable 1x2 header since the vid and ground are located right next to each other.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Fazz Munkle View Post
    This is probably considered necroposting, but I thought I'd add to this thread.
    I'm here with yet another (hopefully helpful) necrobump.

I recently looked into doing a video mod for my TG16 and found this thread, amongst others. Some of the replies make it sound pretty complex, but in fact RCA/composite out is simple... like under 5 mins to make a cable.

Take a look here:

I took a connector from an old computer - the wire that runs from the CD-ROM to the sound card for audio, I think. Then I clipped the end off, and attached a simple (solderless even) RCA jack on the other end. This wire will work for mono sound or graphics, as the ground is next to the audio left out and video out (as seen in above post).

It fits nicely on the expansion port without slipping off, too. No need to go into the machine, or even solder anything to the expansion port.

Any questions, let me know. But for dirt cheap and less than 5 mins of work I'm happy with the results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's quite a lot of things that you can use. I personally used some LED mounts:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey,

I have been watching this thread and thought I would share some info. First I also archived some old data, and uploaded to my website today:

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcglobal.net/index.htm

You will see a link with a yellow "NEW" pointing to the archived info. But here are direct links:

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcgl...EXPPinout.html

and a link to an old TXT doc (most of this was already posted):

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcgl...video_hack.txt

and finally, some photos of how I did the custom cable. Note this snap is just of the stereo audio cables, I can show my Video cable later but same idea:

But my honest opinion? If you ever think you will want to get a CD-Rom unit, I don't recommend the EXP cable mod. You run the risk of bending pins and even possibly damaging if you aren't careful. My suggestion is to AV mod the system. This photo I removed the RF box, and replaced with a composite Video plug, and also put a power LED where the channel 3 and 4 switch used to be (it was a hole before I modded:

and another snap in better light (before LED mod):

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry to necro-bump this thread, but it's the only resource I can find that's relevant.
    I only have one question:

Can someone link me a connector I can use to plug into the pins on the back of the TG? I see someone used LED mounts, but I can't find them anywhere, and I don't know what else there is that will fit it perfectly. I don't want to have to solder onto the pins when there are connectors for it. I see a few links above to a website that sells odd cables, but I don't know what will fit and what wont.

Thanks in advance!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Very very nice. I had toyed around with a similar idea but instead of a video jack I wanted to install a mini-din connector with enough pins that the audio could be pulled from the same point. Great idea to put the LED there. Always a fan of mods that don't alter the casing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Bratwurst, I too don't like to toy with the casing as much as possible on the classic systems. For this system the RF box died so it left a whole where I put the LED (and the LED cover). It worked out pretty nice and looks awesome. My next one will have a Blue or a brither Orange LED. I liked the idea of keeping the plug since that matched the original look. Of course the drawback is I had to install an mini-jack connector on the back of this system for the audio output. Not a big deal, it was small and worked just fine. this one also had a very small region mod.

Now before i get emails - I am currently not modding systems anymore. I just wrapped up my last mod for the year, not sure if I will start again next year. Between family, work and school I just can't commit to more side projects. I wish everyone the best on your mod projects and be sure to check my website out. I will be updating with more info in the next couple of months (hopefully).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made a quick trip to Radio Shack and browsed their bins of random stuff, but I still couldn't find any connectors that look like they would fit onto the pins on the back of the Turbografx.

I tried looking online, but without being able to see what size the connectors are, I can't make a good judgement as to what I can use or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

LED mounts?! Brilliant! Makes me wish I didnt cut my system and mod them on there.. but hey, for non-coax gameplay its got to be done!