Thread: Top 20 (Best) U.S. Saturn Games. (2008) - Round 2: Discuss the nominees. OVER-PLZ LOK

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Top 20 (Best) U.S. Saturn Games. (2008) - Round 2: Discuss the nominees. OVER-PLZ LOK

Final Poll this Monday, 21 July 2008.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ===========================================

Slight change of plans. Rather than go straight from nominating the...nominees to the big vote, I thought we would all like to take a few days to discuss them. Some may disagree but I consider DP to be where the largest number of knowledgeable fans congregate. Often, a discussion becomes an argument but, while it isn't exactly the most desired outcome, that only goes to show our passion for what we do. So, lets take a look at what will be on the poll and discuss the "why's."

2008's Top 20 (Best) U.S. Saturn Games poll will be up soon!!
    We have a total of 38 games and here is what the poll will look like: (Don't vote here...)

Albert Odyssey
    Astal
    Baku Baku
    Burning Rangers
    Clockwork Knight
    Darius Gaiden
    Die Hard Arcade
    Dragon Force
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Fighters Megamix
    Galactic Attack
    Guardian Heroes
    Gun Griffon
    House of the Dead, The
    Legend of Oasis, The
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    mr. Bones
    NightWarriors
    Nights
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Powerslave
    Saturn Bomberman
    Sega Rally Championship
    Shining Force III
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Shinobi Legions
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Street Fighter Collection
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Tempest 2000
    Three Dirty Dwarves
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtual On
    Winter Heat

We still have to narrow it down to the Top 20 so don't get too comfy!
    Discuss. Influence. Plea your case! Have fun.

Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 07-21-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Albert Odyssey - No comment (have not played or played enough to comment)
    Astal - Good game, top 20 NA Saturn though? Mmmm...
    Baku Baku - Top puzzler
    Burning Rangers - A bit overly ambitious, but still fun
    Clockwork Knight - Part 2 was better IMO, but neither deserve a spot..
    Darius Gaiden - Not in the top 20, good, but not top 20 material
    Die Hard Arcade - Ditto. Fun, but not in the top 20, way too short and easy
    Dragon Force - NC
    Duke Nukem 3D - Great Saturn port, but I was never a big Duke guy
    Fighters Megamix - A bit messy, but pretty good for its time
    Galactic Attack - YES OH GOD YES
    Guardian Heroes - Not my favorite, but it deserves a top 20 spot for sure
    Gun Griffon - NC
    House of the Dead, The - NO
    Legend of Oasis, The - NC, what little I played though I enjoyed it
    Magic Knight Rayearth - NC
    mr. Bones - NC
    NightWarriors - Yes, top fighter
    Nights - Yes, classic Saturn love or hate it game
    Panzer Dragoon - Zwei was better IMO
    Panzer Dragoon Saga - NC, but yeah, it's a lock to be in the top 20
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Yes
    Powerslave - ... Yes
    Saturn Bomberman - Hell yes... personally I'd rank this #1
    Sega Rally Championship - No question
    Shining Force III - Ditto
    Shining the Holy Ark - ... Yes
    Shinobi Legions - Pretty good, but top 20? I dunno Bob...
    Sonic 3D Blast - No
    Street Fighter Collection - YES
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - YES
    Tempest 2000 - .... Not quite top 20 material IMO
    Three Dirty Dwarves - NC
    Virtua Cop - I enjoyed 2 more
    Virtua Cop 2 - YES
    Virtua Fighter 2 - YES
    Virtual On - Never got into it
    Winter Heat - NC

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Albert Odyssey - I'm currently playing through the JAP version.

Astal - One of my favorite 2D platformers on ANY system - best 2D graphics on the system. Definitely top 20 worthy.

Baku Baku - A decent puzzle game

Burning Rangers - Fantastic game, to bad it came out towards the end of Saturns shelf life and didn't get the recognition it deserved. Top 20 for sure.

Clockwork Knight - Average platformer

Darius Gaiden - NC

Die Hard Arcade - Fun but not worthy of the top 20.

Dragon Force - NC

Duke Nukem 3D - Fun game, but being as it was ported over I wouldn't put this in the top 20

Fighters Megamix - My favorite 3D fighting game on the saturn by far. Top 20 worthy

Galactic Attack - NC

Guardian Heroes - My personal favorite by Treasure, as well as one of my top games on the Saturn. DEFINITELY top 20 worthy.

Gun Griffon - One of the better SHMUPS on the system. Top 20 worthy

House of the Dead, The - At the time the game was fun, but not top 20 worthy

Legend of Oasis, The -

Magic Knight Rayearth - My favorite RPG on the console (also one of my fav anime series). This is an RPG that has aged well, it has a good story and good gameplay.

mr. Bones - An inventive yet unbelievable short game. Not top 20 worthy.

NightWarriors - Nightwarriors to this day is still my favorite 2D fighting game series. Graphics still look beautiful. Top 20 worthy indeed.

Nights - Nights is not only beautiful, but fun, innovative and still in my own personal list of best games ever made. Top 20 worthy.

Panzer Dragoon - One of Saturns best titles. Graphics are OK but the gameplay and replayability make it a good top 20 choice

Panzer Dragoon Saga - NC - I still haven't opened the packaging on my copy :P

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - I loved it, but theres nothing thay really set it apart from the original.

Powerslave - an average FPS at most...definitely not top 20 worthy.

Saturn Bomberman - I really loved Saturn bomberman - it still stands out, I haven't been able to enjoy the series since. I'd give it a top 20 nod.

Sega Rally Championship - Probably the best racing game for its time..hands down. Top 20 all the way.

Shining Force III - I love this game... (or what I've played on it). I still haven't -played the 2nd or 3rd part but if its as good as the 1st arc then its definitely top 20 worthy.

Shining the Holy Ark - Another great game, I just finished the JAP version. While I prefer the shining series in the top down strategy mode, this wasn't a bad transition..in fact...all the saturn RPG's are def. top 20 worthy.

Shinobi Legions - NC

Sonic 3D Blast - YES - people can say what they will but I love this game - especially the sound track. top 20 worthy.

Street Fighter Collection - NC

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Definitely in the top 20. It's the best puzzler on the console..and one of the best period.

Tempest 2000 - NC

Three Dirty Dwarves - One of the first games I owned on Saturn and still one of my favorite choices. The graphical style is still good looking, and the gameplay is still fun. Top 20 for sure.

Virtua Cop - This is still an engaging game to get into. Saturn did well at capturing the arcade feel. Top 20.

Virtua Cop 2 - Better than the 1st in pretty much all aspects. top 20

Virtua Fighter 2 - I never liked the VF series. Compared to fighters megamix I didn't like it at all.

Virtual On - An amazing game - even better if you own the twin sticks. This game is still pretty fun and different, no other game of this type as seen the light of day..except for the remakes.

Winter Heat - NC
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Albert Odyssey - I never got the fuss, I love working designs, but this one kinda bored me. I slugged through it but wasn't entralled in the least.

Astal - I really enjoyed this one. Great graphics, simple but very enjoyable 2d platforming gameplay. This is my favorite style of game, and a great representation.

Baku Baku - O.K. for a puzzle game I guess. Not excited by it.

Burning Rangers - I wish it was a little longer and I bet if a sequal were made that fleshed out the idea a little more it would be fantastic. I enjoy this game but I'm on the fence.

Clockwork Knight - I wanted to like these games more than I did, but something about them didn't click properly with me.

Darius Gaiden - Good shooter, but don't remember much, I need to replay this before the vote.

Die Hard Arcade - Yes, Awesome. I'm into beat'em ups and this is a great one. I don't mind that it's short, it's got plenty of replay.

Dragon Force - It's an O.K. strategy game, but I think the presentation overshadows and covers up some shallowness in the game play. (Pick the opposite of whoever you are fighting, and have more soldiers = win) Though if it were more complex than that I bet wouldn't have finished it. On the fence with this as well.

Duke Nukem 3D - FPS never was my bag, and I never got the populartiy of Duke.

Fighters Megamix - while fighting as a Daytona car is novel, this one didn't hold my attention all to long. I spent way more time on Virtua Fighter 2 or the 2D Capcom offerings. On the fence again.

Galactic Attack - I had a lot of fun with this one. It's a solid bet.

Guardian Heroes - I really like this one even though it has some flaws. I wouldv'e loved it with a bigger move set,

Gun Griffon - Haven't played, but plan to pick up soon

House of the Dead, The - I like it, but I tend to get my light gun fix from the Virtua cops. The load times in this are terrible and the graphics glitch a little too much. Pass

Legend of Oasis, The - Excellent game. I would have loved to see this series go on

Magic Knight Rayearth - Another excellent game not unlike Legend of Oasis.

mr. Bones - I don't see the acclaim. It tried too hard to do a little of everything. I would have rather it done 2-3 things excellent instead of 10-15 things average.

NightWarriors - Fun Fighter, but the Street Fighters are better

Nights - SPent countless hours on this one. Will always hold a place in my heart.

Panzer Dragoon - Good

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Epic. I was totally engrossed in this the whole way through.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - a much improved sequal. This is the one that I'd vote for over the 2.

Powerslave - never played
    Saturn Bomberman - never played, but it's bomberman, so I imagine it's good.

Sega Rally Championship - eh, racers don't do it for me.

Shining Force III - I love the shining force series. If only we got all 3 of these.

Shining the Holy Ark - It was ok. just not my style. I almost finished it so that's better than most games of this ilk get out of me.

Shinobi Legions - One of my favorites. Great gameplay and jsut the right challenge.

Sonic 3D Blast - I've played worse, but many better. No vote.

Street Fighter Collection - Can we vote for a colection as 1 game? doesn't seem right. Street Fighter alpha 2 gold is nice though, Really like that one.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - I'll take this over Baku Bake, and now that I think about it, I should have nominated Tetris Plus.... too late though.

Tempest 2000 - Not into Tempest

Three Dirty Dwarves - I nominated this of course it gets my vote. I love everything about this one.

Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2 - I love both of these, hard to choose. Both great.

Virtua Fighter 2 -Best 3D fighter on the system, to me anyway.

Virtual On - didn't do anything for me.

Winter Heat - I'm not into this genre at all. didn't like Decathalete or any other track and field games either.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Albert Odyssey- I would have enjoyed this game A LOT more if Working Designs had not injected their annoying attempt at humor in the script and made several pop culture references.

Astal - Beautiful looking game but amazingly one I never invested a whole lot of time in. The lack of the game's title on the spine of the insert always bugged me as well.

Baku Baku - Enjoyable puzzle game once you got the hang of it. I dunno about top 20 but definitely a fun title.

Burning Rangers - Excellent title if not short. I never finished it all the way but this game is long overdue for a quality sequel.

Clockwork Knight - Like Astal, I never got into this and I'm a huge fan of platformers. Graphically impressive for it's time as was it's sequel. Own both but never invested much time with them. I should correct that.

Darius Gaiden - Excellent horizontal shooter. Got much enjoyment out of this and Galactic Attack.

Die Hard Arcade - I enjoyed playing this game in the arcade but never really got into playing it for Saturn when I acquired it. I imagine it plays just as good as it's arcade counterpart, just not as pretty looking

Dragon Force - This game is probably my number one pick if I were making a list of favorite Saturn games. I do not have my Saturn hooked up just because I don't want to get the itch to play this game again and lose many hours of sleep as a result.

Duke Nukem 3D - Nice port. Being a huge fan of the PC game I enjoyed this port but played the N64 version more for multiplayer. If nothing else, this game should be included because of Death Tank Zwei that's a bonus on the disc.

Fighters Megamix - As much as I love crossover fighters like MvC and CvS, I couldn't stand this game. I liked Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers seperately but couldn't stand them together.

Galactic Attack - See Darius Gaiden above.

Guardian Heroes - Easily in my top 5 if not number 2 right behind Dragon Force. I played the import and domestic version of this game TO DEATH.

Gun Griffon - I picked this game up on a lark and it to be pretty enjoyable. Didn't play too much of it but what I did play I enjoyed.

House of the Dead, The - Love the arcade game but never played the Saturn port. For whatever reason I never got around to picking this title up and remains one of a small handful of rare/semi-rare Saturn games I don't have.

Legend of Oasis, The - Excellent sequel to an excellent Genesis game. I didn't play it nearly as much as the Genesis version but more of the game and graphically improved is hardly a bad thing.

Magic Knight Rayearth - Nice little title. Unsure if it was worth the excessively long time it took to come out but like all other WD releases the production on the box/disc/etc was all top notch.

mr. Bones - One game I've never had the chance to play that I've always wanted to. Like House of the Dead, it's one of the games I've never gotten around to picking up.

NightWarriors - Excellent title and far more enjoyable as a port of the arcade than Darkstalkers on PS1 was. Didn't quite have the framerate as the arcade version but good enough and heavily enjoyed by me and my friends.

Nights - I've tried like crazy to understand/get into this game and I never could. I love the music in some stages but this game never clicked for me.

Panzer Dragoon - Thoroughly enjoyed if had a hard time understanding how to play. Didn't like this game at first and then it grew on me.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - I remember being able to preorder this and paid in full for it. When it came out, only 2 copies came in and mine was one of the reserved copies. I remember my friends all scrambling trying to find a copy after seeing mine . One of the best games for the system in terms of gameplay and graphics.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - I didn't play this one nearly as much as the first mostly because I was ramping up collecting and didn't devote as much time to games. I should go back and invest time in this one.

Powerslave - This is actually a somewhat entertaining FPS. I went in not thinking too much about it and ended up playing several levels. Not sure if I'd put it in a top 20 but would recommend to someone if they were looking for some good console FPS games.

Saturn Bomberman - This would probably be my personal No. 3 after Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes. The single player game is so-so but the multiplayer matches we've had on this game are the stuff of legend.

Sega Rally Championship - Not that big into racers so much but this one was enjoyable when I played it. I found Daytona to be more enjoyable though.

Shining Force III - Great game. Not as enjoyable as the Genesis ones but definitely top 20 for Saturn.

Shining the Holy Ark - Didn't play much at all of this game. Bought it, got it home, and didn't do much with it. I need to go back to this one and invest some more time.

Shinobi Legions - Loved the Shinobi games on Genesis but never invested much time in this one. I've heard it's good but never got around to playing it much.

Sonic 3D Blast - Decent title. Wouldn't consider it worthy of a top 20 but it was miles ahead of Sonic R.

Street Fighter Collection - Only played this mainly for Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold. While I played SSF2 and SSF2T I never got into the SF series until Alpha and SF III.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Top 20 for sure. I almost won a tourney using Dan.

Tempest 2000 - Enjoyed the original arcade version immensely but never put any time into this game so technically no comment.

Three Dirty Dwarves - Awesome game. I had to warm up to this game as it didn't look appealing to me but a friend turned me on to it and would put it in a top 20.

Virtua Cop - Great game. Loved it in the arcade and enjoyed the home port.

Virtua Cop 2 - See above. Went out and got the versions with stunners so I could have as close to the arcade experience as possible.

Virtua Fighter 2 - Excellent port of the arcade fighter. I spent many hours playing Kage and Akira.

Virtual On - One of my favorites. I actually picked up the Japanese twinsticks to play this game like it was in the arcades. The Netlink version was cool but you never find someone to match up with.

Winter Heat - Own this (I think) but never played it so no comment on it really.

Only game I can see missing from the list that should be listed is Daytona USA.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

2008's Top 20 (Best) U.S. Saturn Games poll will be up soon!!
    We have a total of 38 games and here is what the poll will look like: (Don't vote here...)

Albert Odyssey-Bought this one a year or so ago for $35 mint, honestly didn't like it much though

Burning Rangers-loved this game, definetly needs a remake

Darius Gaiden-great shooter lots of fun and cheap!

Dragon Force-best RPG/Strategy game on saturn one of the best period.

Fighters Megamix-had some interesting characters

Guardian Heroes-sweet beat em up! Treasure did well!

House of the Dead, The-the start of one of my favorite gun series

Magic Knight Rayearth-not a particularly good game but very nicely packaged bought my minty copy for $30

Nights-this is a must own and without sonic in my mind is the saturns mascot. Brilliant game. Better than its recent sequel on wii also
    Panzer Dragoon-excellent on rails shooter-with dragons!
    Panzer Dragoon Saga-one of my all time favorite rpgs, best saturn game and well worth the asking price which is $$$ This should be 1st or at least damn close!
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei-great sequel

Sega Rally Championship-damn addictive, dirt cheap, constantly coming back to it! Still the best in the series

Virtua Cop-nice gun action
    Virtua Cop 2-same as above but better

Some great games all worthy of some praise. PDS should be number 1 in my book with nights right behind

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clockwork Knight: Fun platformer, I'd like to play the sequel.
    Die Hard Arcade: Decent, nothing special.
    Dragon Force: Pretty good, though I'm not really into SRPGs.
    Fighters Megamix: I really enjoyed this. Lots of weird characters, and just fun.
    House of the Dead, The: Average light gun shooter.
    Nights: Loved it, one of my favorite games on the system.
    Panzer Dragoon: Fun, but not one of the better Saturn games I've played really.
    Sega Rally Championship: Didn't care for it.
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: Awesome game.
    Three Dirty Dwarves: One of my favorite Saturn games.
    Virtua Cop: Good game, but the sequel is better.
    Virtua Cop 2: See above.
    Virtua Fighter 2: Great game, though I liked Fighters Megamix more.
    Virtual On: Great, unique fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamc@sting View Post
    mr. Bones - An inventive yet unbelievable short game. Not top 20 worthy.
    Unbelievably short? The game has probably four times as many levels as Astal! In fact, I can't really think of another platformer that spans two discs like mr. Bones, and one with the sheer variety of levels. With a pretty high difficulty in some of the latter stages it makes the game seem even longer. Perhaps you only played the first disc?
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Albert Odyssey - Working Designs most charming and enjoyable translation. Not to mention the only standard J-RPG released for the US Saturn. This was an average RPG that was brought to greatness by it's other elements. The OST by Naoki Kodaka is unforgettable, the mode 7 graphics scream nostalgia, and WD translation added much charm. A classic!

Astal – An incredible side scroller with a breathtaking OST! The graphics have an art style all their own. It's like playing an animated storybook.

Baku Baku – Fantastic original puzzle game. Great presentation!

Burning Rangers – Fun original concept (Imagine that). I spent many sleepless nights with this one. A great game and an excellent follow up to Nights.

Clockwork Knight – I see no reason for this to be on here. The sequel was better in every way. It improved on every aspect. CK 2 could possibly make the top 20 but there is no reason the first should.

Darius Gaiden – C'mon!!! Its Darius and it's one of the best ones! Top 20 for sure!

Die Hard Arcade – fun, Fun, FUN brawler. One of the last of it's genera and a great one to boot!

Dragon Force – Fantastic strategy game. Working Designs did a great job at giving all the generals their own personality! It's quite the showcase for the Saturn's 2D capabilities.

Duke Nukem 3D - The best DN3D port of the time and has Death Tank Zwei and is NetLink enabled!!! (Take that Gaystation!!!)

Fighters Megamix – Virtua Fighter 2 is one of the greates fighting games ever made. Fighting Vipers was ridiculous fun. Both games together in one game and TONS of other Sega characters results in one of the greatest fighting games ever made! Sega's King of Fighters!!! Top 20 without a doubt!

Galactic Attack – Great original shooter but I find Darius more fun.

Guardian Heroes – A fantastic fantasy brawler that played as well as it looked (which was damn good)! Multiple characters, stages and endings and it was made by Treasure!

Gun Griffon – One of the greatest mech games ever made! Fantastic music and a Jaw dropping intro that stunned everyone who saw it and still impressive to this day. The intro to GG resulted in several magazines starting an “Intro of the Year” award, which of course it won!

House of the Dead, The – Great game but a rushed port and why the hell did we get green blood instead of red!?

Legend of Oasis, The – Solid, fun RPG but not a patch on it's Genesis sequel.

Magic Knight Rayearth – Last game released for the Saturn in the US. Certainly a charming and fun game but i'm not sure if it's top 20 material.

mr. Bones – Created by Angel Studios that also brought us the beautiful Kolibri. This game was just as impressive. A graphical and technical feast, but at its core was a fairly standard platformer. Although it was certainly enjoyable.

NightWarriors – An excellent port, but I can't help but perfer the import sequel.

Nights – Top 20! Do I need to explain?

Panzer Dragoon – Great game but as with Clockwork Knight, the sequel improved on everything. No Top 20 here...

Panzer Dragoon Saga – One of the greatest games ever made. Top 20!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Did EVERYTHING the first game did and did it better. Better graphics, music, story, control, and added the Berserk attack and dragon morphs!!! Top 20!!!

Powerslave – Haven't played to far into it, but it is very impressive and really fun so far.

Saturn Bomberman – 10 player BM mayhem!?!? Also NetLink enabled!?!? THE Bomberman game to play. Top 20 here we come!!!

Sega Rally Championship – The first powersliding games I ever played and I still think its among the best. Fantastic arcade port and great 2 player. An excellent racing game!

Shining Force III – Haven't played very far into this yet... But so far it is more than impressive and every bit as good as the others.

Shining the Holy Ark – I can't explain how much I love this game. My friends and I played this religiously trying to find all the secrets and hidden items. Great graphics, and a very atmospheric score by Motoi Sakuraba. I also LOVED the Pixie system. It was brilliant and simple fun.

Shinobi Legions – Fun game but I hate the motion captured graphics. I will take beautiful sprite work over motion capture any day. Certainly a great game however.

Sonic 3D Blast – This game is good and the Richard jaques OST is worth the price of admission alone. But I would have never chosen this before Sonic R or Sonic Jam. No top 20 for me...

Street Fighter Collection – Haven't played this but man I really want it!!!

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo – Excellent original idea for a puzzle game and it's infused with SF as well. Addictive puzzle game but I think I prefer Baku Baku because of it's simplicity.

Tempest 2000 – Never played it but I always heard that the Jag version was the best.

Three Dirty Dwarves – A game with lots of character. I thought it was quite humorous and and liked the style, but thought the game itself was frustratingly difficult. Not in my top 20.

Virtua Cop – Solid graphics and solid gameplay. Virtua Cop was fantastic.

Virtua Cop 2 – Hmmm. Better graphics and more variety than VC 1, but as said before, the level design isn't as good and therefor the game seems less fun.

Virtua Fighter 2 – This was the pinnacle of the series. Virtua Fighter was good. Virtua Fighter Remix was great. Virtua Fighter 2 was phenomenal! Crisp graphics, great gameplay, and the well composed soundtrack created one of the best installments of VF. With VF 3 and 4 the series took a nose dive and I have yet to play 5. Virtua Fighter 2 is whre its at... and thats the Top 20!!!

Virtual On – Played this game religiously! Probably Sega's best arcade port to the Saturn. Crisp graphics, great music, great 2 player, and just a blast to play.

Winter Heat – Never played this but I have always heard good things.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 07-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Astal - I was surprised to see that Astal was voted #1 in the previous poll. It's an aesthetically amazing game and that counts for a lot, but the gameplay falls way short. I love 2D platformers, but the best of the genre have looser, faster-paced gameplay, in my opinion.

Baku Baku - this is probably the best original original puzzle game concept since Puyo Puyo, maybe even since Tetris. Definitely in my top 10 on the Saturn.

Clockwork Knight - like Astal, these are aesthetically very nice games, but with subpar gameplay. I really do like the the style and world they present, though, so I would personally put Clockwork Knight 2 somewhere on my top 20 list, but probably not very high.

Darius Gaiden - it's pretty good, but doesn't compare to many of the other shooters released during the same generation. Most of those were only imports if they were on the Saturn or else only on the Playstation, though, of course.

Die Hard Arcade - definitely still one of--if not *THE*--best 3D beat'em ups. Maybe only bested by its sequel on the Dreamcast.

Fighters Megamix - phenomenally good, but I always find that even the best crossover fighters such as this one suffer a bit just because of their "everything and the kitchen sink" approach, so on the Saturn I prefer VF2 to Megamix. Both are great and belong on the top 20, though.

Guardian Heroes - best use of gratuitous bashing in a 2D beat'em up. I love it! Probably top 5 for me.

Legend of Oasis - like others have said, Beyond Oasis on the Genesis is *MUCH* better, but Legend is still good. Somewhere low in the top 20.

NightWarriors - I don't know, for some reason I've just never gotten into the Vampire series. This is definitely a great port, though, and the game is beautiful and easy to play...something seems missing, though.

NiGHTS into Dreams - such a beautiful game. Simple but addictive gameplay combined with beautiful graphics and sounds and a million little touches everywhere in the game to show you that the developers really cared. Top 3.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - the only Panzer Dragoon game I ever played and I love it. Really horrendous graphics if you just look at them, but when everything is in motion and in you're in the middle of the game and furiously trying to stay on top of things, somehow you don't even notice.

Sega Rally Championship - possibly the best racing game ever made, in my opinion. It balances arcade and sim styles perfectly, so that it's just pure exhilaration to play but you also have the motivation to replay the same track over and over again trying to do just a little bit better. I've never played another racer that straddles that line so well.

Shining the Holy Ark - I guess I missed something in this game because I thought it was tedious and clumsy.

Shinobi Legions - my favorite game in the Shinobi series, probably because it breaks with many of the traditions of Shinobi gameplay. I actually like to think of this as the sequel that Kenseiden never got. Great past-paced action gameplay with an emphasis on in-close sword play.

Sonic 3D Blast - How did this end up on the list? It's not terrible, but it's thoroughly average. Sonic R is much much *MUCH* better. Now that any unfair bias against Sonic R because it's not a "tradional" Sonic game can be left behind us, I would hope that people could revisit the game and realize how great it is. Sonic R goes in my top 5 on the Saturn, Sonic 3D Blast maybe goes in my top 50.

Street Fighter Collection - Very nice, but...damn, I guess I didn't realize until just now that none of SNK's fighters came out in the US on the Saturn. That's a shame.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - great, but I always find the gameplay to technical and complicated, so I end up prefering simpler puzzle game slike Baku Baku or Tetris.

Tempest 2000 - I never played it on the Saturn, but if it's a good port of the Jaguar version, it would have to go in the top 10, I'd say.

Three Dirty Dwarves - great game that I always thought deserved much more attention than it got. It really invented a whole new style of game and one that's a hell of a lot of fun.

Virtua Cop - eh, I never saw what was so great about the Virtua Cop games.

Virtua Fighter 2 - the best 3D fighter ever

Virtual On - a total blast to play if you have the twinsticks and I don't think those were ever officially released outside of Japan. Without twinsticks, it's not that great. Odd how the controller can be so important.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Albert Odyssey - I love this game. Definitely one of the top 32-bit RPG's IMO. Keep.

Astal - Brilliant platformer. I'm sure everyone's only voting for it because of the graphics, but that's okay because it's so gorgeous. Keep.

Baku Baku - Meh. It's a fun puzzle game, but I don't see how it's head and shoulders above Bust A Move, or Zoop, or anything else. Drop.

Burning Rangers - Definitely an underrated game. Keep.

Clockwork Knight - No. I always thought I was crazy for even liking Clockwork Knight at all, and everyone else hated it. I do like it, but it's too basic to be top 20 material. Drop.

Darius Gaiden - Great shooter, but doesn't quite reach the upper echelon of Saturn games IMO. There's so much other stuff on here that I can't imagine picking this game. Drop.

Die Hard Arcade - This is definitely one of my favorites. This was the first good 3D beat 'em up, and the only such game until its sequel came out IMO. Extremely fun. Keep.

Dragon Force - I don't nerdgasm over this game like some do, but it's hard to argue against its position as one of the Saturn's top games. Keep.

Duke Nukem 3D - Incredible port, even better than the PC version, and one of the best FPS games of its era. Keep.

Fighters Megamix - This one's a no-brainer. Should be on everyone's list. Keep.

Galactic Attack - One of my favorite shooters of all time. This one better stay on the list. Keep.

Guardian Heroes - This is definitely a key Saturn title. It would just be wrong to not include it. Keep.

Gun Griffon - This game was amazing at the time, and is still a blast to play. Definitely one of my top picks. Keep.

House of the Dead, The - Drop. Bad port of a good game.

Legend of Oasis, The - Great action-RPG, better than its predecessor IMO. But I can't say I'd really take issue with it being left off the list. Drop.

Magic Knight Rayearth - Another good RPG, but again it doesn't really rise to the level of top 20. Drop.

Mr. Bones - Definitely one of my top picks. This is an incredibly inventive game, with brilliant gameplay and a great plot. One of the games that makes the Saturn what it is. Keep.

NightWarriors - As a fan of 2D fighters, this is one of my personal favorites. And back in the day, this was one of those Saturn games that really showed up the competition. Keep.

Nights - You can't have a Saturn list without NiGHTS. Period. Keep.

Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon Zwei - It seems weird to have all three games in the series on a top 20 list, but I absolutely adore all three and can't really argue against any of them.

Powerslave - With all due respect to Jaguar fans, this was the first great console FPS. And it holds up very well against even PC games from the era. The level design is really top-notch, and it's still fun to play today. Keep.

Saturn Bomberman - This is my favorite Bomberman game, and it's probably the best multiplayer game on Saturn. But I wouldn't be sad to see it go. Drop.

Sega Rally Championship - I always thought this game was highly overrated. Drop.

Shining Force III - Great game, but a little overrated and we only got 1/3 of it here anyway. Drop.

Shining the Holy Ark - One of the few "dungeon crawlers" I really enjoyed, I actually found this game to be quite gripping. I think this is actually my favorite Shining game. Keep.

Shinobi Legions - This game is too often overlooked. I don't know why this game wasn't a bigger deal at the time and isn't talked about more now. This is one of the best action games ever. Definitely keep.

Sonic 3D Blast - I actually like this game, and think it gets hated on way too much. But top 20? Hell no. Drop.

Street Fighter Collection - It seems weird to put a collection on here, but this has the absolute definitive version of Alpha 2 on it, along with pretty perfect ports of Super and Super Turbo. It's hard to argue against an incredible package like that. Plus, it wouldn't be right to not have at least one 2d fighter on the list, and what better to represent the genre than Street Fighter? Keep.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Meh. I like this game, but it's not that amazing, and the Saturn version seems a little "off" compared to Playstation and Dreamcast. Drop.

Tempest 2000 - One of the most addictive games of all time, and that's coming from someone who's not even a huge fan of the original Tempest. Keep.

Three Dirty Dwarves - I personally love this game, but it's not necessarily one of the essentials. I think the list can do without it. Drop.

Virtua Cop - Still great fun, but this game is way overshadowed by its sequel, and we don't need both. Drop.

Virtua Cop 2 - One of the best light gun games ever made, and one of my top picks. Definite keep.

Virtua Fighter 2 - Along with NiGHTS, one of those games that you simply can't exclude. The gameplay is so perfect, and the graphics were very impressive at the time (and still not bad on the eyes). Keep.

Virtual On - Some people say you need the twin stick controller (which you could buy in the US, but only via mail-order), but I disagree. I think this game works pretty well with the Saturn controller (unlike the sequel with the DC controller). This game is incredible and ahead of its time. Keep.

Winter Heat - I can't say I'd be angry with its inclusion on the list, but it lifts right out IMO. It's one of those games I pop in once in a great while, then promptly forget about. Drop.

I was trying to be tough on these games, and it looks like I still said 'keep' to 24 of them. D'oh. Can't we make this a top 25 list instead?
    Last edited by j_factor; 07-19-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Astal - The graphics are no doubt amazing, but it's the story and world created, and the diversity of moves, 2 player interaction and bosses that really push the game into the upper echelon. Add to the fact that this game was totally overlooked when it first came out amidst the 3D revolution, and it's even more important now that it's on the list. Keep.

Baku Baku - Fun puzzler, a fresh twist on the genre that helps break the predictability of Columns or Tetris by having some pretty intense last minute turn-arounds. It's on every Sega system though...Drop.

Burning Rangers - Amazing use of the NiGHTS engine that is in no way derivative of the previous game. Instead, it's a totally original concept and execution, and while there's a few weird quirks that don't quite succeed, it's still a singular experience you can only find on the Saturn. Keep.

Clockwork Knight - The sequel was much better, and while I do really like the game and the inventive 2 1/2D gameplay, it isn't the absolute best, even if for a launch title it was impressive. Drop.

Darius Gaiden - Another shooter from Acclaim. Cool. Fun. Top 20? Nope. Drop.

Die Hard Arcade - Fun arcade style brawler. The 3D flourishes add a new freshness to the tried and true beat'em up genre. Keep.

Duke Nukem 3D - Sure, it's on every other system, but Sega did it best, and with the near flawless NetLink play it's of pretty high historic importance. Buuuuut, it's the PowerSlave engine. Still, the NetLink rules even today. Keep.

Fighters Megamix - The definitive fighter for the system. The best of both franchises, and with all the great bonus characters. The first truly 3D 32-bit fighter too, with the dodge button. Keep.

Galactic Attack - Decent shooter, too messy though and the port is pretty bare and rushed. Drop.

Guardian Heroes - Another totally unique game with nothing else like it - that's the charm of all these Saturn classics like Astal, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon and even the missing Bug!. Probably the only time where RPG and beat'em up seemed like a good mesh. Keep.

Gun Griffon - If one shmup has to be on here, this is it. Keep.

House of the Dead, The - Turns what was slick and stylish in Virtua Cop and makes it gory and campy. And really fucking ugly. A fun game, but if anything the Saturn is a hindrance in this shoddy port. Drop.

Legend of Oasis, The - Beautiful animation, very accessible and some fun arcade style statistics that give replay to a genre that's usually without it. Keep.

mr. Bones - An epic platformer with a lengthy, involving story rendered in some pretty notable cut scenes across two discs. Even if some of the levels are only average, there are plenty of great ones that are totally memorable. Guitar solo, anyone?

NightWarriors - Decent Capcom fighter, but I'll take any of the Street Fighters over it. Drop.

Nights - The best. There will never be a game that so skillfully straddles opposites: fast and frantic, slow and involving, changing and organic, bizarre and surreal. The levels are so fabulously constructed that all the mare and level records still hold weight today (link). It lost to Mario 64 and Crash in the short run, but in the long run it has emerged the most involving and replayable game. I really think this was the apex of creativity for the entire medium of video games. Keep!

Panzer Dragoon - Another beautiful launch title. Sega really got it right from the very start. I still think this game has better visuals than Zwei, even if it's hampered by a shallow arcade like construction. Keep.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Not as breathtaking as the first, but a better game with greater role playing elements and special features thrown into the mix. The first time you take flight too, is awe inspiring. Keep.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Like the dragons in the games, this is a series that was always evolving on the Saturn. With each game it got deeper, and Saga is great game. The battle system is the best I've played in an RPG, balancing strategy with reflex in the funnest possible way. The story can get a bit repetitive at time, and the game could do for a few more enemies. Still, it would have been the perfect launching point into a whole new series if Sega would have had the mind to keep it going. Keep.

Powerslave - The quintessential 32-bit FPS! It still stands out today in this time of Doom, Unreal and Halo clones with a unique Aztec flourish. The slightly fisheyed perspective really enhances movement and immerses like no other FPS before or since. Great fun. Keep.

Saturn Bomberman - Whether on the NetLink or at home with friends, it's still the ultimate party game. This game is another example of why I think the 32-bit era was the high point in the medium: gameplay came first, and graphics were still a mode of expression, not a mode of excess like they are today. Keep.

Sega Rally Championship - The best racer, and Sweater said it best when he said it perfectly straddles sim and arcade styles. It's still a rush taking those two double jumps at the end of the dirt level.

Shining Force III - My favorite RPG for the system. Great, classic storytelling. Keep.

Shining the Holy Ark - Fun crawler, another solid Shining game for the system. Keep.

Sonic 3D Blast - Totally average game, and one released on all systems too. Sonic R should have been here instead. Drop.

Street Fighter Collection - Here's the Capcom game you want to remember for the system. Two discs of TLC, it's fighting bliss. Keep.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Fun puzzler, but nothing *really* new other than semantic representation. I'll take Baku Baku over this. Drop.

Three Dirty Dwarves - Moderately interesting game, having three players is a quirky addition too. Not all that memorable though, and certainly not top twenty material. Drop.

Virtua Cop - The classic that started it all. The levels are all iconic and done so well. The fact that you can get justice shots and pick places on people's bodies gives new depth to the shooter. Keep.

Virtua Cop 2 - Solid follow-up, no doubt, even if I prefer the levels of the original. Still, the graphics are better and there's a little more variety. Keep.

Virtua Fighter 2 - Iconic in its time but now it doesn't hold up so well. The hi-res graphics still impress, but the floaty jumps are annoying, and frankly I like the control better in the original (and in Megamix). Drop.

Virtual On - Fresh spin on the fighter that's fun to play by yourself or with a friend. Could use a little more depth to distinguish it from its arcade counterpart, but that's just icing on an already great game. Keep.

Winter Heat - Meh. Fun button masher, but it gets old pretty quick. Decathlete is more fun to me. Drop.

We still have to narrow it down to the Top 20 so don't get too comfy!
    Discuss. Influence. Plea your case! Have fun.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Albert Odyssey - never played

Astal - np

Baku Baku - This didn't do much for me, but it appears to be a thought out puzzle game and it is one of the better ones Sega has put out.

Burning Rangers - np

Clockwork Knight - np

Darius Gaiden - A very good conversion from Taito's F3 system, this shooter boasts some quite good 2D/3D mix visuals. Given how few shooters made it over the pond, this in North America is one of the better games, despite the easier difficulty. Still, lots of replayability with the option of multiple routes and maximizing the score. Not to mention the sublime soundtrack which incidently goes quite well with the game.

Die Hard Arcade - STI at their best. A solid, smooth, and fun arcade game with a furious pace (despite brief loading). A little weak regarding depth and time, but it's still a blast with having many items to beat the opponents up with. It's engaging and quick and a game you can pick up at any time.

Dragon Force - I can see how some people would be totally engrossed by this game. I believe it. It's extremely time consuming (at first) to do anything. Although, once one settles in it is pretty enjoyable if a bit shallow. Granted, with 8 countries to choose from, each having a different ending and obviously strategy, there is lots left over upon first completion. Personally, I think it's too slow and time consuming for my tastes.

Duke Nukem 3D - np

Fighters Megamix - The Sega All-stars beat-em-up fest. Fast paced with comedic value through the roof. Good resolution to boot as it looks and runs quite well. Top tier 3D fighting at a good price.

Galactic Attack - Possibly the hardest domestic vertical shooter on Saturn, Layer Section/Rayforce/Gunlock/Galactic Attack is another well done conversion from Taito once bright arcade line-up. Having the interesting score/weapon mechanic for locking on, in addition to being always bombarded and having to dish out a fair amount of damage to extremely tough bosses make this a game worth spending time on. For the price, you cannot go wrong.

Guardian Heroes - This was the 2nd Saturn game I ever got, and I cannot I have any regrets. Lovely graphics, good player variety, path variety, unlockables, combo's, 6 player versus mode, etc.. Need I say more? Fast paced with often big explosions and tonnes of enemies to beat up over several paths. Easily the best beat-em-up on Saturn.

Gun Griffon - np

House of the Dead, The - Considering how few lightgun games made it to Saturn in general, anything that is original IP should be welcome. I wish I could say I was more satisfied with this conversion, but I'm not. I don't recall if Tantalus did the conversion on this or not, but I will say whoever did it could've spent a bit more time polishing it up. Regardless of the nature of HotD, this looks ugly and sloppy. Perhaps in part due to distinct hardware limitations since obviously some down sampling would need occur with a port from Model 2. If a few more months had been spent or a different team entirely on this project in the first place leave me wondering what could've been.

Legend of Oasis, The - np (although if it is anything like Beyond Oasis, it's a good sell for sure)

Magic Knight Rayearth - np

mr. Bones - np

NightWarriors - np

Nights - One of the most recognized Saturn games, now thanks to the PS2 rerelease and the Wii's Journey into Dreams, Nights still stands the test of time. Especially with Sega's 3D analogue controller. Solid visuals, controls and tunes make this a very charming game. Not to mention it can be played from either a casual, time attack, or score based perspective.

Panzer Dragoon - np

Panzer Dragoon Saga - A fabulous send off for supporters outside of Japan at the end of the Saturn's lifespan. Spanning 4-discs (likely for FMVs) this interesting spin on the RPG with a rather interesting story can really hold ones attention. A very versitile game working forward from Team Andromeda's past entries, I think despite the length, it's a very complete package in nearly all aspects and a good addition to anyones library.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - One of the best on-rails shooters I've ever played with a decent difficulty and quite good visuals for the time. The evolutionary aspect of leveling your dragon up depending on how well you do is a good incentive for getting better and practicing. The best on-rails on the Saturn, no question.

Powerslave -np

Saturn Bomberman - 10 player multi-player. Need I say more? Well, I will anyway. Despite that, it's still Bomberman, and a damn good one. With vibrant and colourful stages in single player not to mention the few extra modes to try ones hand at. I was glad I got this and think it's a game (even without many other people) I can go back to kill some time with.

Sega Rally Championship - Considering the fact an arcade port (or closer port) had not existed until 2006 makes this consideration alone. People seem to love SRC and love spending many, many hours on this specific version. Personally, I think it gets old a bit too fast with really no bonus content beyond shooting for the extra time or extra course or trying the extra car. At least SR2 (with poor frame-rate on DC) addressed these issues.

Shining Force III - Possibly the best entry in the SF series and one of the best strategy RPGs. Camelot did a hell of a job making for a near complete package. The problem is of course is that it is incomplete. You'll finish this game and figure that is the end, or perhaps not. The fact the next 2 scenarios were omitted from domestication makes for a bit of a let down but that doesn't mean you still can't enjoy this wonderful game. My only other gripe is the slow start, however, once the game gets rolling you'll wish it would never stop. Lots of customization and a somewhat interesting story make this a definite candidate.

Shining the Holy Ark - np

Shinobi Legions - Decent update to the old Shinobi formula with very long stages making this pretty interesting for time attacking. I haven't spent much time here but it is a decent game for sure.

Sonic 3D Blast - np

Street Fighter Collection - Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is preserved well although I'm not crazy about the 7 second per stage loading in SFA2G. Otherwise, A2G is an excellent game and a superb update to the already great A2 formula. Two games for the price of one is always a good deal too.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Loading. That's all I've got to say about this in the red. Otherwise it's an alright Capcom IP with decent versus mode and good musical remixes. I'll take the Dreamcast iteration over this any day, but it's a valiant effort and gave Saturn owners another option in the puzzle department.

Tempest 2000 - np

Three Dirty Dwarves - np

Virtua Cop - np

Virtua Cop 2 - I love the arcade game. And it was reason alone to get the Stunner for only one game. Despite being a bit uglier and slightly slower, I am still convinced this is the best lightgun game on Saturn. Obviously, considering I haven't played the first game will raise concerns but I'm pretty sure it'd be an even bet between the two with this taking the lead in the end.

Virtua Fighter 2 - One the deepest fighting games ever made and made even better by running in a very high resolution and coming as arcade perfect as the best of them if not the best. AM2 went all out to bring the arcade home in this outstanding sequel to Virtua Fighter. If you enjoy this game/genre, Virtua Fighter 2 could consume a life-time of work and practice and would still have more to offer. The best 3D fighting game on Saturn and one of the best of the 32bit generation.

Virtual On - Fast, explosive, robot battling action. Another arcade conversion this time from AM3, showcasing the early days of robot fighting. No customization, but who needs it? There is tonnes of strategy to be had and more than enough robots to choose from. Only problem... the Twin Sticks were not released locally. For shame Sega, for shame.

Winter Heat - np

Where is Daayyttttooooooonnaaaaaa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Where is Daayyttttooooooonnaaaaaa?
    Daytona is a tough one - the first game was too much of a rush job, and being a launch title graphically it was eclipsed by most other games on the system afterwards. That and CCE was criticized for it's loose handling (why not, it was made by the Sega Rally team!). Nobody played the NetLink version, so despite three solid games, none really gets the respect. Probably because Sega Rally is just so good. Even on Dreamcast though, Daytona was just a franchise that never got a proper release at home. Too bad, because man playing those games in the arcade was such a rush.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

My thanks to everyone for supporting the poll!
    Visit the following thread to find out how to participate in the final poll:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119623

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Lockin per OP's request.

**lockerooni**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog