Thread: Watchmen video game??

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Watchmen video game??

Looks like a prequel video game to the movie. Let the bashing begin!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080723/...9x4X.pjJ2s0NUE
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be interesting. There's so much in the graphic novel that'll have to be left out of the movie, this could be an interesting way to flesh out what's missing. Trouble is, they're going to have to take far too many liberties with the story....

Oh well, if nothing else, I'm sure Alan Moore will love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joedick View Post
    Could be interesting. There's so much in the graphic novel that'll have to be left out of the movie, this could be an interesting way to flesh out what's missing. Trouble is, they're going to have to take far too many liberties with the story....
    The game isn't based on the original comics, it's a prequel set when Nite Owl and Rorschach fought crime together, pre-Keen Act. They've got a high quality, talented writer on board and they're using Dave Gibbons as a consultant, so there's a good chance that it could pan out. I really hope that it does and that it spurs further spin offs that explore other parts of the story that were either just hinted at or were glazed over because they weren't totally relevant to the overarching story of the maxiseries.

I'd love to see something with the Minutemen (Hooded Justice!) or even just a game about The Comedian (pre-Keen Act, Nam, post-Nam and leading up to his death). I don't get why everyone is so quit to shit on the idea of exploring the expanded universe, but it seems like most people didn't bother to read the article in the first place and assumed that it's a direct adaptation of the comic.

As far as the movie goes, Zack Snyder is doing his damnedest to make it as faithful as possible, and for the stuff that had to be removed for whatever reason (runtime, budget), it's still getting done. Tales of the Black Freighter will be a direct-to-dvd animated movie that may wind up getting bundled with the home video release of the Watchmen movie. Lord knows there's going to be a director's cut, hopefully on par with the DVD release of Sin City.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with how Frank Miller is going to rape The Spirit than how either The Watchmen game and movie will turn out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Honestly, I'm more concerned with how Frank Miller is going to rape The Spirit than how either The Watchmen game and movie will turn out.
    I hadn't heard of The Spirit before the movie was announced so I don't really know anything about it, but I did read that Miller was trying to be as faithful to the original as possible.

I thought the movie looked kinda cool so I'm just curious about what you mean.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The Spirit is my favorite comic book character, ever. I have a lot of faith in Frank Miller, but everything about The Spirit movie feels wrong. The tone, the look, the logo...it's just not feeling right. Will I still be there opening night? Yep. Because it's The Spirit.

If you have the chance, check out some of the recent Darwyn Cooke run on The Spirit, it's wonderful stuff. Or go back and check out some of Will Eisner's original stories. Ignore the recent Sergio Aragones issues though, they are pretty bad IMO.

As for the topic of the thread...I dunno, if it's quality, I'll be into it probably.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I have a lot of faith in Frank Miller, but everything about The Spirit movie feels wrong. The tone, the look, the logo...it's just not feeling right. Will I still be there opening night? Yep. Because it's The Spirit.
    I'm in the same boat and I'm really hoping that I don't burned as hard as I did with Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

im 3/4 of the way through with the watchmen but im afraid to read any post in here due to possible spoilers of what may soon become my favorite graphic novel ousting long standing & current champ, frank millers "dark knight returns".

The watchmen should be required reading for any graphic novel & comic book fan, its easily one of the most expertly written pieces of literature of the last century...easily

P.S. Garth Ennis >>>>>>>> Alan Moore =)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I'm in the same boat and I'm really hoping that I don't burned as hard as I did with Dark Knight Strikes Again.
    is it really that bad??? i was just about to buy this on amazon, most of the reviewers share your sentiment, if its that bad im just gonna finish up & get the last 4 preacher tpb & call it a night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

The only thing I'm genuinely worried about with a videogame adaptation of Watchmen is that it's not going to be focused on what made Watchmen so great, although to accomplish that in a videogame would be an impressive feat. My whole issue with the idea is that Watchmen was never about action. Watchmen is about a multitude of themes exploring morality and justice, and bringing vulnerable and human characteristics to an archetype which is often seen as being all powerful and perfect. All I expect of a Watchmen game is Marvel: Ultimate Alliance with different maps and character skins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The first thing that comes to mind is another video game that attempted to base itself on a work of considerable artistic merit: Fight Club.

'Nuff said.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)