Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many games do you need in a year?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How many games do you need in a year?

A common theme on a lot of threads (especially the Wii but the PS3 and 360 are mentioned as well) is that there aren't enough good games, or they're released too far apart or that" My Wii has collected dust ever since "X' game came out" What I'd like to know is how many games do you purchase in a year? I'm only counting new games for current systems, this is more of a playing thing, versus a collecting thing.

I'm beginning to feel that the cycle between big releases is too fast and to be honest I think there are too many choices. Looking over my collection I've always purchased about 3-4 big name titles a year, and maybe 2-3 budget titles I may have missed. Over a 5 year life span for a console, I usually collect about 25 games, so obviously games fall through the cracks, but everywhere I read, people want MORE! MORE! MORE! A game like Super Mario Galaxy is already considered old, and people already want info on the next one!

When I was younger I looked forward to each game that would come out, and spend months playing it, and just as I was winding down my enjoyment for it, I would start to look forward to the next one. The Christmas rush would last me until April. Now with all these games released I find I don't enjoy the individual title as much, as it seems to be a rush onto the next big thing.

I'd like to know, how many games a year is enough? If you see a half dozen high quality titles is that enough for you? A dozen? More?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

I have a Wii and a 360 and to be honest, the Wii really does collect dust most of the time, as there aren't a lot of great "adult" games for it. The only time it was used on a daily basis was when I was working through Resident Evil 4. Super Metroid held my attention for a few days, and Prince of Persia was okay, but mostly the Wii here is used by my kids for Galaxy or Mario Kart most of the time.

I do find that I tend to "overload" on games a few times a year - during a big sale or some promotion, leaving me with way too many games to play at the same time on my 360. Currently, I have BioShock, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Lost Planet, Prey, and a few others that have NEVER been in my 360, due to a huge backlog of games!!

I wonder if I'll ever get caught up.....

Insert Coin (Level 0) Electric Blue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What really sucks is if you're like me and have OCD about buying your games new instead of used. If i bought everything I wanted to I'd be spending like $1000 a month on new releases alone.
    Last edited by Electric Blue; 07-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Need: zero
    Want: I want to have 8-10 big budget titles and 12-15 budget titles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably buy 15-25 current gen games a year. How many do I need? dunno, 10 or so.

Honestly, I don't really think about what I buy so much...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

12-15 would probably suffice, provided they have longevity. If a game has good online play or is a deep rpg then I'm pretty much set.

Really though, I've found that I'm pretty ADD when it comes to gaming, and I am having an increasingly hard time staying focused on a game. Example: I got Puzzle Quest and love it, but shortly after I had to get Phantom Hourglass. Now that I'm a few hours into that I'm out of the DS. My mind just won't stay put.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I dunno about need (I could just be like my brother and play wow all year) I just bought 30 games this week (all old stuff) new games probably a dozen or so a year i would guess but maybe more.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

I might buy a dozen (half DS and PSP at $29.99) new the first 8 months of the year, and then about 15 the last four months of the year. I go in weekly now just to put money down on preorders so that I can afford them all at the end of the year. If I don't play them all they will at least last me through March since little of consequence usually comes out in January and February.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Since I mostly buy new games, I tend to buy alot every year. I'd say that i've bought probably 100+ games in the last 12 months, if not more. I don't specifically focus on A-list titles or anything like that, I go after franchises, or developer/publisher releases more than I go after X premium title. Don't get me wrong though, I get plenty of those titles too. They just don't have an overall bearing on my # of purchases over the course of the year, save for xmas. Then I determine which xmas release titles can wait, and which ones are ASAP buys. I've operated that way for years and I see no reason for changing anytime soon.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

25-30 this year. I focus on 10-15 big budget games and then try out budget titles and used games with the remaining amount. (Cash flow obviously deteremines how many also)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

About 20 games a year across all systems including retro. In terms of the Wii, maybe only 1 or 2 more games announced from Nintendo for this year would have made me completely happy. I agree there are just too many titles to have time to enjoy them all and give them the time they are worth.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! There are a lot of people spending a lot on games. I'd like to know, how do find time for them all? Can you really say you sit down with each one and play it until you've gotten all the enjoyment out of it? Papa Stu, if you buy 100 games a year that's a game every 3.5 days. Do you really get as much enjoyment out of each title that you would if you only bought 10? If buying one game gives you "x" amount of happiness, does buying 50 give you 50 times as much happiness?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it hard to play through all of the games I get (if they are retro I only play them for a few hours or use online guides to get through them quickly). I atleast try all the games I get, newer games I try to play through to completion or the point that I cannot play them any longer. I usually end up renting a few questionable (quality) games too, so it gets hectic.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Wow! There are a lot of people spending a lot on games. I'd like to know, how do find time for them all? Can you really say you sit down with each one and play it until you've gotten all the enjoyment out of it? Papa Stu, if you buy 100 games a year that's a game every 3.5 days. Do you really get as much enjoyment out of each title that you would if you only bought 10? If buying one game gives you "x" amount of happiness, does buying 50 give you 50 times as much happiness?
    I don't look at it in an 'max enjoyment = x games' I buy lots cause I am a collector, plain and simple. The systems that i play the most (and focus more of my collecting upon, are modern) so I steer my $$ and attention that way. I've been very good in regards to playing the 360 stuff i've been buying the last year plus. Much better than I have been in comparison to my Wii, DS, PS2,PSP (in regards to modern games).

I do my best to enjoy what I buy, but some of the stuff I get is just crap (buying used well after the release helps relieve the pain). Some enjoyment comes from my ability to get achievement points despite its shittyness, some comes from a games storyline, or the characters, the art style, the online componets. It really depends on the game.

Games of yore were meant for mass replayability thanks to its point of get ting a high score, more of todays games are story driven, and unless its a drawn out RPG or something with a real deep convoluted story a single playthrough is all most people will do. Have I played Halo through on all 4 difficulties, multiple times? Yup. Do I do that with most of my games? Nope, but again, that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of sed game.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would prefer at least 6 must-have games per year.

I don't know what is going on with Nintendo, but it is extremely hard to find any must-have games. I don't even have a 360 or PS3 to distract me, so I can imagine that anyone with those systems would find it even worse. I mean, I own every must-have Wii game and I only own 4 (not counting Wii Sports and Wii Play). I thought it would be neat to go back and grab every must-have Gamecube game I missed, so I did research and made a list. There were 3 games on it. Three games from a system that is 7 years old. That is absurd. Now I remember why I totally ignored that system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last year Ive bought something like 180 new release games, WTF I need to play more!
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

To be honest, I don't need any. I have hundreds of games I've never touched.

Yet.....I keep buying MOAR..........

I would say there are about 10-15 titles I really want every year....but I purchase many times that. I think I'm over 200 for this year of titles I didn't "need".
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

I'd say about 7-8 a year. A good game should keep you playing for weeks.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

need is an odd word.

need to have? none. need to have to make my collection complete? many.
    need because i want? all.

being a collector, i tend to get around 300-400 games a year. more often then not, i rarely if ever buy more then 1-3 games new per month. it's just so expensive getting games new. i try not to think about the people that have handled the games when i buy them used as i'd probly worry myself sick just thinking about how disgusting some people can be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't care less if no games got released for the next year.
    The newest game I'm currently playing is at least two years old.