Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout racing series

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default The Wipeout racing series

Anyone else here a fan of the Wipeout racing series? I just got Wipeout XL today and I love it!! Has anyone here played Wipeout Fusion for the PS2 yet?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Are you kidding?

The first Wipeout was my favorite PlayStation game for ages until XL came out - and XL is arguably the best in the series. The music, the speed - the firepower. Awesome games, especially when playing 2 player.

Wipeout 3 was viewed as a disappointment to many but I really enjoy it. It's the most polished of the bunch and has a ton of wicked cheats.

Wipeout Fusion really just seems like more of the same - no major advance on the PlayStation versions. It's a solid title IMO but nothing more.

I have a complete set of Wipeout "team logo" T-shirts that is simply TOO cool to wear! I'll take a picture if anyone wants to see these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'd love to see them! Heck been playing XL and listening to XL's music since I bought it at the mall today!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wipeout series is great. Right now, I have Wipeout 3 and Wipeout Fusion, and I just picked up Wipeout 64 today.

BTW, anybody willing to trade a sealed PS2, GC, or Xbox game for a sealed copy of Wipeout Fusion for PS2? I know this isn't the trade forum, but I've got a copy lying around here...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome graphics, Awesome music, BUT I just couldn't get use to the gameplay. I absolutely abhorred coming to a complete stop everytime I bumped a wall. I just couldn't get into these probably because I couldn't get good enough to not hit any walls. Once you get up to speed though the game is awesome, with an outstanding sense of speed with great framerates.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a PSX JUST FOR WipEout. I was able to hold off until May 1996, but I simply couldn't resist the call of WipEout any longer.

Well, the fact that FF VII was headed to the system didn't hurt...but I definitely wouldn't have bought one until then if WipEout was never released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

One the reasons I got it (besides being 7.99) was I really wanted some new action game to play so i could take a break from rpgs for a bit. One my friends has it and I enjoye dit so i bought it. i hadn't played a racing game I liked this much since F-Zero actually. The music rocks too.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TVs Hasselhoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotta agree with DigitalPress, Wipeout 3 is a stunning game for the psx. Gorgeous graphics, great control, stellar tracks, and the soundtrack couldn't be more appropriate.

Wipeout Fusion is dirt cheap now ($15 at Gamestop) but it was dull. Graphics are fine, music is fine, and there are a ton of abilities in the game to upgrade your vehicle, but the game just isn't engaging.

For $15, though, it is worth picking up to have all the Wipeouts.

I have to give a nod to the N64 version. Somehow they were able to put an actual soundtrack into the game. Not as many songs as the psx versions, but still...

Not too bad of a game either, despite being released by Midway.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TVs Hasselhoff
    Gotta agree with DigitalPress, Wipeout 3 is a stunning game for the psx. Gorgeous graphics, great control, stellar tracks, and the soundtrack couldn't be more appropriate.

Wipeout Fusion is dirt cheap now ($15 at Gamestop) but it was dull. Graphics are fine, music is fine, and there are a ton of abilities in the game to upgrade your vehicle, but the game just isn't engaging.

For $15, though, it is worth picking up to have all the Wipeouts.

I have to give a nod to the N64 version. Somehow they were able to put an actual soundtrack into the game. Not as many songs as the psx versions, but still...

Not too bad of a game either, despite being released by Midway.
    Nothing against you Hasselhoff, but I got to step in and defend the N64 and Midway. I believe Midway was one of the stronger publishers on the machine, in both releasing superb, near perfect ports of MEGA popular arcade games, and in releasing some original titles that make most peoples' 'best of N64' lists.

Games like NBA Hangtime, and the NFL Blitz series were nothing less of perfect home ports of the arcade games, and Blitz 2000 even utilized the expansion pak for enhanced hi res graphics. Even though the games are wore out now, at the time of release they were peaking in popularity both at home and in the arcades. Also Midway is responsible for bringing home awesome versions of San Fransisco Rush and Rush:2049, which are both great translations, just with more features and tracks. Plus the original Rush 2:Extreme Racing USA, which is basically an expanded San Fransisco Rush game with even more options, but without any graphic enhancements.

Some original titles from Midway which get much praise from some on these boards were Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley, and World Driver Championship, and you even admitted Wipeout64 was something of an achievement. Micro Machines 64 is another decent original thanks to Midway, I haven't played it much, but hey, it wasn't bad in any sense, it reminded me of the original NES version and thats great.

Well, I've tried to defend Midway a bit, but only for the N64, because they are my favorite publisher on the machine. I don't really know how well Midway had faired on the other 32-bit consoles, maybe you had some bad games from them on another system? I just don't think the case can be made that Midway is a mediocre publisher, at least for the N64. Thats my 2 bits. Sorry if I dragged this off topic.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also purchased a PSX specifically for a Wipeout game - Wipeout 3, to be exact. I already had the first one on the Saturn, of course. I absolutely adore the Wipeout games... just recently picked up an N64, with Wipeout 64 being one of the few driving factors. I still remember the first time I fired off the quake weapon, yanking the track out like a rug from underneath the other goons. Fantastic.

As already mentioned, the only thing that bothers me about Wipeout is losing all momentum when coming in contact with a wall. That's where FZeroX gets some bonus points - grinding against the wall instead of just crapping out. I still need XL for the PSX... there's a beat to hell copy sitting at the local EB for $2.99, but I bet it wouldn't even play.

Oh yeah, I even have the PC version of Wipeout - I'm hardcore
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to alternate with this series.

Didn't care much for WipeOut, though I mastered its toughest league (and hidden track). That was the first PSX game to hard-lock on me, I think. And on the hidden track no less. :P

Liked XL. A lot.

Didn't care for 3 much. Using your shield for a boost meter is a bad idea IMO. The whole aesthetic was too spartan, too.

Fusion's pretty cool, I think. Nothing amazing, and the focus on combat can be off-putting, but the tracks are cool, the speed is fast, and it's just nice and easy to sit down and enjoy. Works for me!

Insert Coin (Level 0) TVs Hasselhoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have anything against Midway. I just meant that Midway published the N64 game instead of the usual publisher.

Midway is fine in my book. I loved SpyHunter for PS2.

Now if Midway could make a game about Achika's feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, Wipeout. Now there's the definitive racing game of the 32-bit era. I was a little late coming to the Playstation, but it was Wipeout that hooked me. I'll be bold enough to say I liked the Saturn version just a little more, if only because the vehicles didn't come to a complete stop when they hit the railings.

Wipeout XL is my fave PSX game of all. Insane tracks, great weapons, the best electronica soundtrack of all time (if it only had Prodigy with vocals!). A soundtrack CD was released seperately, but why bother when you can just pop your PSX disc into the stereo anyway?

I never played Wipeout 3, thanks mainly to the harsh review in Next Gen. Seeing as how they were so gung-ho for the series to begin with, I assumed they were onto something. One of these days I'll find out for myself. And the new one -- who made Fusion? I thought Psygnosis was gone? If so, who was responsible for the new one? It looks good, but I'm still waiting for that game that takes it to the next level.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I have a complete set of Wipeout "team logo" T-shirts that is simply TOO cool to wear! I'll take a picture if anyone wants to see these.
    Good god man, post the pix! Designer's Republic and their art direction MADE the Wipeout series what it is (or arguably was...). Where did you score those???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Does anyone remember the commercial for Wip3out? It featured the Sasha "Xpander" track (quite possibly the best song in the series) and some super-sexy sounding girl counting down... I lined up outside Game Bros. the morning it was released thanks to that commercial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know I remember this very clearly, but have yet to encounter anyone else who has seen it. I distinctly remember seeing a Wipeout arcade game! This was hmmm maybe late 1998-1999 while on vacation in the Bay Area and was at the Great Mall of Milpitas (they had an arcade room there which is now gone. Now they have a Dave and Busters on the other side).

Anyway, this was a red sit-down game and I think the seat might have moved while you played as well. I didn't play it but I stared at the screen for a while. I remember I never saw the word "Wipeout" (actually from what I recall I never saw a name at all and thus I thought it was weird). But it was definitely Wipeout! It was right at the entrance to the arcade.

Now before you start rattling off a couple of possible arcade racers it might have been, let me just say that I'm no spring chicken to the arcade/games scene.. and what I saw was most definitely some version of Wipeout. Everything was a step above the Wipeout 1, and I even remember the weapons matched the ones from the first psx Wipeout like the shield, mines and shockwave. However what was strange was the sit down cabinet as well as the game itself seemed almost generic (as if it was some pc game). The game played a demo mode, but I didn't really see any words or attract mode etc. It was as if the whole game was sort of a "kit".

Anyway, after checking it out for a bit and wondering why I hadn't heard of a arcade Wipeout game and why I couldn't find a name. I had to leave. I eventually left the Bay Area and that's the last I've heard or seen of the game. Now whenever I bring it up, all I get is "there was no Wipeout arcade game" or "Maybe it was <insert futuristic arcade racer here>" .. But I swear to god as a game veteran.. it was Wipeout! And if it wasn't.. it was one heck of a clone racer

Anyone else seen this?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NE146 wrote:
    Anyway, after checking it out for a bit and wondering why I hadn't heard of a arcade Wipeout game and why I couldn't find a name. I had to leave. I eventually left the Bay Area and that's the last I've heard or seen of the game. Now whenever I bring it up, all I get is "there was no Wipeout arcade game" or "Maybe it was <insert futuristic arcade racer here>" .. But I swear to god as a game veteran.. it was Wipeout! And if it wasn't.. it was one heck of a clone racer

Anyone else seen this?
    The game you described sounds like the game that is played between the two main characters in the film HACKERS. They play some kind of Wipeout game in the Cyber-Cafe. Maybe if you watch Hackers, you can try and see if you can make out the name of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow, I started a great topic! ^_^

Anyhow, i'm still loving Wipeout XL- got Golds on the 2 beginner tracks so far and Silvers on the 2 tricky tracks with the Auricom racer. One the mainr easons I got XL was I really needed a new action game to play with along with some my other titles to take a needed break from RPGs.

Is Wipeout 64 a port of any the PSX Wipeouts, or its it its own original title?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Is Wipeout 64 a port of any the PSX Wipeouts, or its it its own original title?
    It's a completely original title exclusively for the N64. At the time of it's release I felt it somewhat one-upped the two prior PS1 titles thanks to it's buttery-smooth analog control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

W64 is actually a port of the first WipeOut. I haven't played it extensively so I don't know what extras it might have, though.