Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wipeout racing series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

W64 is actually a port of the first WipeOut. I haven't played it extensively so I don't know what extras it might have, though.
    Having played it extensively (as recently as today for nostaligia's sake), I can say it is most definitely NOT a port of the first Wipeout. In includes seven original tracks and some surprising good music for a cartridge.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah I later read that Wipeout 64 has it's own original tracks and music not by the artists that did the music in 1-3.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hrm, I did not know about extra tracks. When testing my copy, I specifically remember playing the second track from the original WipeOut.

Having new music doesn't really count as anything special, IMO, since that was a given thanks to the N64's crap sound capabilties. I may be wrong on the tracks, though. My bad, if so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Right now trying to pass the 2 tricky tracks with a Gold and least try to break 3rd place on the hard tracks in XL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thinking of getting Wipeout 3 shortly now after playing a bit more of XL this afternoon.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its deffintly a early or just a video made for hackers, but you can deffinitly see in the background the sony logo and the ships are deffintly the whipeout ships
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The W1p30Ut series is my favorite among all series.

Wipeout was excellent at the time, the music tracks created by Cold Storage make up for at least half the reason I loved the game, though it's kinda hard to play it now, since the series has advanced so much.

XL is awesome, a soundtrack by some quality (popular but not TOO mainstream at the time in the U.S.) names in electronic music, excellent level design and more of what I love - The Designers Republic - this game is how I found out about RedBull - and searched for it something like 6 years before it came to the states. This is one of the few games that I can boast that I have done EVERYTHING in. I played it to death.

Wipeout 64 is great, original tracks, great control, farther draw distance and 4 player mode! I like the 1p mode the best though. It's held high among my N64 games - the most important part is that unlike Fusion, Wipeout 64 FEELS like Wipeout.

I dont care what the reviewers say - Wipeout 3 / Wip3out tops XL in my book. The entire Soundtrack was done by Sasha (no not all the songs, but he arranged them, remixed them and chose them for the game) The Designers Republic returned with a more streamlines and minimalist look - which was awesome.

Wipeout Fusion however is complete crap IMHO. The gameplay is more akin to Pod Racer than anything else. It was developed by different people, the music is far too close to that of SSX 3 (yeah there's some good electronic beats, but it's way too mainstream, Wipeout 3's soundtrack was at least a little bit more leftfield). The only thing that I like about Fusion is the big Loop-de-loop. Other than that I have no reason to play this game over Wipeout 3 (or over F-Zero GX for that matter)

I can't wait for Wipeout Pure, I really hope that it gets the series back to it;s roots - Wipeout Pure is the only reason that I'm interested in the PSP, and it's a launch game!

JOE - did you get your Wipeout Team shirts from www.thepeoplesbureau.com back when they had them in stock? Their shirt supply is far and few between these days, but I order from there too from time to time - they have great art as well - worth framing.

Curley Says GO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm cool with WipEout. I think it's a cool series.

I own the Saturn versions of WipEout and WipEout XL (non-US release).

XL on Saturn is a bit of a bitch to find, and will likely run you over $30. I have never played the PSX WipEout but some prefer the SAT version over the PSX b/c the controls were tightened up a little for the Saturn version, and as someone mentioned, you don't come to a complete stop if you hit a wall.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played XL for the first time in a couple years over the weekend. The game has held up extremely well. I still think it's the best game in the series.

One thing I noticed that I never check out before is the sound options...the options are mono and stereo, but for some reason the mono sounds better. Could just be my sound system. Mono or not, the sound in the game is incredible...the announcer ("misseyel"), the purr of the engines inside a tunnel, the checkpoint buzzer, the explosions, not to mention the music.

Speaking of the music, the soundtrack in the game is much different from the CD soundtrack. Maybe the Euro version had a different soundtrack? (I know the Japan version does and it sucks)

I think there's another thread out there where everyone ranks the games in the series. Too lazy to search it at the moment.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice

Speaking of the music, the soundtrack in the game is much different from the CD soundtrack. Maybe the Euro version had a different soundtrack? (I know the Japan version does and it sucks).
    Really? The japanese version had a different soundtrack? Woah. I am still burned that they only released Wipeout 3 Special Edition in the UK. Its got a few NEW extra tracks as well as 2 (I think) classic tracks from Wipeout 1 as well as an extended Soundtrack. I found an ISO a while ago but it does not work very well since it's PAL and the conversion patch cuts off half the screen when you play - it's just not enjoyable. >_<

I continue to pray that Wipeout Pure brings the series back from the hell that fusion brought it to & that the PSP button malfunction debaucle doesnt interfere with gameplay too much. (maybe in light of that problem, developers will not map that button in question to have priority functionality in games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WipeOut is my favourite racing series. I like the first two parts on the PS1, the third one is not that great. Somehow it didn't fit me, can't exactly tell you why. I haven't played the PS2 game but as soon as I find it in a second-hand store I'll buy it.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Wipeout 3 Special Edition .. and it is the one game that keeps me coming back to my PS2.

It has all the tracks from Wipeout 3, plus 8 selected tracks from the previous Wipeout games, but with all the Wipeout 3 weapons & accessories. Plus extra prototype tracks and the like. It kicks major ass!!!

Man, I love that game so much! IF you like Wipeout, do yourself a favour and pick up Wipeout 3 SE ... you won't ever regret it, I promise!

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If I can find Wipeout 3 SE, then I will!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    JOE - did you get your Wipeout Team shirts from www.thepeoplesbureau.com back when they had them in stock? Their shirt supply is far and few between these days, but I order from there too from time to time - they have great art as well - worth framing.
    I'm not sure where they originally came from but I got them in a trade with T&T Editor-in-Chief Chris Bieniek a few years back. They're definitely worth framing, they're not the standard black or white T's you see all the time - each team has its own color shirt to match the logo.

Yep, some day I'll take a photo.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wipeout....F-Zero.....Xtreme G......Kinetica etal. Gotta love the blistering speeds of ANY of the futuristic racers.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    Man, I love that game so much! IF you like Wipeout, do yourself a favour and pick up Wipeout 3 SE ... you won't ever regret it, I promise!
    It's impossible to find!

Even if I imported it, how could I get it to play on my US ps2 (or PS1 / PSone) without the crappy side effects of PAL conversion? (cut off parts of the screen and funky frame rate) - a method aside from gettng a PAL PS2...sometimes the euro gamers are very lucky - Sometimes!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask nicely and thou shalt receive. I could probably track down a copy if anyone really wants it. It crops up on ebay now and again .. and the price really does vary. I've seen it as low as £10 ($20) recently though, which is a bargain IMHO! (Well, I paid more than that for my copy, so I am bound to think that is a bargain I guess!)

About the PAL issue ... I'm afraid I don't know about how to get PAL games to work on an NTSC set-up, only the other way round.

Vroomfunkel

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Anyone ever see the video for the song "Atom Bomb" by Fluke (a remix of which was on XL's soundtrack)? Interesting mix of live action, animation, and footage from the game - although oddly the video focused on one of the pilots from the first game rather than XL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Picked up Wipeout 3 this evening and liking it so far actually!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First WipeOut I loved to death

I played it too many times on N64 as well

Great series, smooth soundtrack...I cannot WAIT to play the PSP version!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!