Thread: "CD Safeguard" and "AVS Disc-shield" Removal from cd label??

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "CD Safeguard" and "AVS Disc-shield" Removal from cd label??

Hey,

I just got a few games, and 2 of them had funny labels on them. I googled them, and found out one is a "CD safeguard" (Says movie gallery on it), the other a "AVS Disc-shield" (Says Blockbuster, with 2 metal strips running through it).

I was unable to find any sites that tell you how and if they can be removed...

The one for movie gallery says that removal may make the disc permanently unplayable...

I'm sure some of you guys have had encounters with these things... I'm curious how you have dealt with them?

A small side question...If left one, will these detract significantly from the value?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've removed a few non-Blockbuster type CD shields (no metal strips - they may have been CD Safeguards). They were on older discs (PSX), and the adhesive didn't seem very strong.

CD shields with the metal strips are a big pain to remove. I've only removed one of those before (PS2 game disc); I literally had to soak the CD shield in GooGone before removal for fear of messing up the disc label.

All of these discs were fairly common games - I wouldn't have tried it on something like Suikoden II.
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm too scared to try and remove it myself without knowing that theres a way that works =O

Thanks for the help, anyone else have experience with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to know how to remove these as well-- I've got at least one that I've been afraid to remove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've managed to remove one or two, but I also managed to break a game doing so. I used GooGone, and it almost seemed like it made the disc more brittle.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is an old thread and I don't normally hang out in forums but I feel I can be of some help here. After searching the internet I could not find a sure fire way of removing these labels. So I did a little experimenting of my own. I recently bought several movies and games from Blockbuster. One had a label that covered the entire dvd. This one I just tried to pull off. It took half the artwork with it but did not affect the playback at all. The others all had labels that covered only about half the disk, they said avs security on them and had the metal strips in them. I tried several methods and products others have suggested, but what I found that works was Ronsonol lighter fluid (the kind in the yellow bottle). I used a cover from a 25 pack cd spindle, squirted a little ronsonol in the container, and put the disk in lable side down. The first disk I tried i soaked for a few hours. The label started to come off easier, but was still stuck pretty good. The next disk I let soak for 24 hours and it came off very easy with just a couple spots that were harder. The last disk I let soak for 48 hours and that one actually started peeling off by itself. No effort at all was required on my part. The ronsonol seems to "pull" the adhesive out from under the label and it eventually deposits on the disk so after the label is off I had to use a soft cloth, got a corner wet with ronsonol and cleaned of this residue, then i just took a dry section of cloth and dried the disk. As a final step I ran the disk under the faucet and cleaned it with liquid dish soap, and dried with a clean soft cloth.

Here are a few pointers.
    1) You don't need to submerse the entire dvd. Just make sure the entire label is wet.
    2) Ronsonol evaporates quickly so you will need to put some sort of cover on. I just used the actual spindle base.
    3) If you have any adhesive residue left on the disk use a soft cloth with ronsonol as I mentioned but make sure you wipe it dry rather than let it air dry (which happens rapidly) otherwise a thin layer of adhesive might be left.
    4) This method is so easy and effortless. Other than the soaking time it only takes about 5 minutes per disk. Plus I paid about $2 for the ronsonol and didn't even use half a bottle to do 3 disks.