Thread: Is Killzone (PS2) underrated?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Killzone (PS2) underrated?

My search revealed no good Killzone threads so here we go.

I decided to play this game because the sequel looks so promising. I had a damn good time playing the game and thought it was fantastic. Upon coming to the web I decided to see why I missed this game originally...and it's obvious, it got average reviews across the board, even some bad ones. I got to say that I played this vis PS3, so maybe some of the problems with glitches and framerates that were criticized in the reviews weren't present for me, but it was a great game.

There was talk of this being a Halo 2 killer...which of course it is not; Halo 2 has superior multiplayer...but I think the single-player game is every bit as good as Halo 2; the story is as good; what gives?

It plays a bit differently; the controls aren't quite the same as other fps'. Much of your aiming needs to be done through movement rather than aiming, which is either a nice touch, or an accident. The AI is also harshly criticized, and perhaps accurate, but Halo 2 has many of the same faults.

Am I alone here? Anyone else share my opinions? So the PSP Killzone game is even higher rated than this...guess I'll have to play that next...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The single player game completely obliterates Halo 2's in every regard. More inventive encounter design, more creative level layouts, more varied themes. The game is basically a 20th century wargame with a sci-fi coat of paint, which is something I really dug. Their success in implementing elements of WWI, II, Korea, and Vietnam throughout the missions kept me engaged and helped me overlook some of the other problems, like the clunky framerate and numerous bugs.

It's a shame it didn't perform better with the critics or fans, but the press did a pretty good job of ensuring that it'd be measured against a standard that it couldn't compete with (in part because of the press in the first place).

Multiplayer was pretty much a throw away, which I think really hurt it. Not much you can do when you require patches and the only persistent storage you can count on is a 8mb memory card with insanely slow access speeds. I guess it's supposed to be enjoyable, but I never found it to be so.

That single player rocked, though. It's a shame Killzone: Liberation was such a fucking mess...until I played that, I was really looking forward to Killzone 2, but at this point I'm thinking that perhaps Guerrilla is a one trick pony that got lucky with Killzone. Shame Shellshock was the game that got ported to PC and Xbox...I'd loved to have played Killzone with a smooth framerate and more responsive controls.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the aiming controls in Killzone were horrible due to the fact that your character kind of breathes realistically. If I remember correctly, mine kept bobbing up and down, and that made it harder to aim from long distances.

The game had a great atmosphere that kept me interested as long as I was able to play it. I remember I stopped when I got to the sniper rifle part.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I also enjoyed Killzone 1 all the way through.

Graphically, gameplay, story, I thought that the whole package was excellent.

I also had a great time onlne with the multiplayer, which while not as good as Timesplitters Future Perfect (best online FPS for PS2 IMO) was certainly up there for the PS2's limited selection of quality online FPS games.

Halo 2 was a more techincally sound online multiplayer with better game modes and matchmaking options ... but there was something about Halo's gameplay in general that never ever resonated with me.

I'm very much looking forward to Killzone 2.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Just see the avatar and you'll see how much I love the Helghast. I waited quite some time to pick this up originally as I had a lot on my plate when it was released. Once I had the time to sit down and play it, I loved how different it was from most other shooters. There are few throw-away enemies in this game, and if you try to go up against more than 2 guys while just running-and-gunning Halo style, you will die. I love that. You need to think every encounter through, carelessness is not rewarded. A lot of people pick on the game for the difficulty of the weapons aiming, but I say bring it on. This is not a control flaw, it truly is an added feature. To me, that aspect adds a whole other feel to the game, making it more realistic and bringing me closer to my in-game character.

My only complaints are the choppy framerate and hearing the Helghast say the same few phrases over and over "OVER THEIR HEADS! TAKING HEAVY FIRE!"

This game's sequel and Tekken 6 are what's keeping me from wanting a PS3 at the moment, so they'd better be good.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried it a while back since, at the time, I didn't have an Xbox and I found it cheap. Just had to see the Halo killer, I guess. After playing it a bit, I thought it was over hyped and overrated. Sold it same day to Game Crazy for a buck less than I bought it for. Lucky!

I enjoyed Half-Life and Unreal on the PS2 more. Those were pretty early in the cycle IIRC. How messed up is that?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first played Killzone Liberation on PSP, which I regard to be one of the best 5 portable games in existence, of any type. I thought it was absolutely masterful.

Thus, I decided to continue my Killzone goodness and play the original, and I was pleasantly surprised. As someone above said, the single-player campaign blows away either Halo game, and I never care about multiplayer anyway.

The IGN early impressions of Killzone 2 are incredible, some of what they're describing. I am literally buying a PS3 primarily for this game.

I've waited to buy the system in hopes of seeing a "Killzone bundle" when the game arrives.

Very safely my favorite FPS franchise now.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The turnoff for me was the controls. With all the fps out there and all the time they invested in killzone it was very dissapointing that they had a horrible control system. I thought area 51 controlled better.

I mean some people will adapt and see it through others like me get disgusted and are turned off. Also another thing I noticed was when you fire the x flame explosion at the end of the barrel was exactly the same . It almost seemed like a pop up. I thought that was kinda cheesy. Mix it up.
    Last edited by gepeto; 07-30-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the first Killzone, from the weapons to atmosphere and the enemies it was awesome shooter, need to get back to it as I believe I'm bout half-way thru it or close to it.

Can't wait till February to get my palms on Killzone 2...already on reserve!!!

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS