Thread: Super Robot Wars import advice please

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Robot Wars import advice please

So I just discovered this game series yesterday as I was researching my impending Dreamcast collection. Holy fucking shit! I had no idea what I've been missing! Are you kidding me? Gundam, Evangelion and more all in one, sweet, strategy RPG? Count me in!

So I looked at the Dreamcast version and it looks killer. Then I see that they have one for PS2 as well. I watch the Youtube vids. Amazing. So I think I'm going to attempt to play one of these gems.

One problem: I know almost zero Japanese.

I see that gamefaqs has some translation guides but they mostly cover the story. My question is this. How playable are these games for the Japanese illiterate. I have no problem printing out the translation guide to get the gist of the story but what worries me is the rest of it. Those menus look rather intimidating.

Have any fellow gaijin attempted to tackle one of these games?

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but if you haven't already, check out Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 & 2 for GBA. They are really fun, and you don't have to worry about all the translation stuff.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It's not the same - yes, it's the same series, but Original Generation uses nothing but original characters. The other series use a mix of original characters and licensed characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking at the GBA ones and I think I am going to give one a try. BUT, the GBA games are "original generations" which are a spin-off series from the original and as such do not contain any of the licensed mechs or characters. I really want to try the main series games but I am scared.

Look how f'n sweet this is. This is the PS2 version:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i4WUg8GM45s

Looks so fun! The animations and graphics look wonderful. I can just image if we ever see a PS3 iteration of this how gorgeous it would look with HD sprites. One can dream.

I was hoping someone else around here has tried brute-forcing their way through one of the JAP games and if it was worth it.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    It's not the same - yes, it's the same series, but Original Generation uses nothing but original characters. The other series use a mix of original characters and licensed characters.
    I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by prismra View Post
    I was looking at the GBA ones and I think I am going to give one a try. BUT, the GBA games are "original generations" which are a spin-off series from the original and as such do not contain any of the licensed mechs or characters. I really want to try the main series games but I am scared.
    The GBA titles in the US are excellent... worth every penny. I own both and love the hell out of them. They are the titles that got me into tactics games. I will recommend that you start with the first game and move to the second. There is a storyline in there.

A GCN with GB player makes this one even better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really this sort of thing is a personal question. Have you tried playing imports before? I hated playing Japanese-heavy imports before I learned Japanese. Other seem to be OK playing even RPGs with little knowledge.

Get one of the cheap iterations of the series (it's on every console since at least the SFC), see how you like it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I answered my own question. I tried a ROM (gasp!) of one of the newer SRW games on the DS and it made me really sad. There is soooo much Japanese text that I would be missing a lot of the fun. I think I'm going to save myself the agony.

I wonder if the two Original Generations games on GBA sold well enough to warrant any further investment in the series. What worries me is if those games didn't sell too well that Atlus would blame it on lack of interest instead of the fact that they released the games for GBA when the DS had been in the market for almost two years already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I have like 6 of these games for my PS1. When I use to play them, I really had no idea what the hell was going on, but thanks to the gamefaqs guides I got further than I would have without them. I really wish they would have brought all of them over to the US but I realize that different license agreements is probably the number one reason why that never happened.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.