Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare games from this generation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rare games from this generation?

Is there any rare and pricey games yet for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or Wii yet? I feel like there should be, as the previous generations typically already had some sought after titles early on in their life cycle (Cubivore comes to mind). But I feel like I have yet to see one, anyone know of any?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf View Post
    Is there any rare and pricey games yet for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or Wii yet? I feel like there should be, as the previous generations typically already had some sought after titles early on in their life cycle (Cubivore comes to mind). But I feel like I have yet to see one, anyone know of any?
    I think the possibility of "rare" games in this generation is pretty darn remote. The only possible system that could have rare games is the Wii since my understanding is that Nintendo is not enforcing a mandatory minimum this generation like Sony and Microsoft are. Last I checked, the minimum run you could do of a title for the PS3 or 360 was 50,000 units. Considering how large most of the development budgets are nowadays, I doubt most publishers are doing the minimum and are instead doing runs of 75K to 100K to start. On the Wii, you could have some rarer stuff although the shortest run I have heard of anyone doing so far is 20,000 units. It will be interesting to see if the Atlus games on the 360 sell-out. I suspect they won't given the mediocre reviews.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one i can think of like that is Kororinpa for the Wii. Used copies on ebay typically sell for upwards of $40, which is unusual for a year and a half old game.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kewlrabbit View Post
    The only one i can think of like that is Kororinpa for the Wii. Used copies on ebay typically sell for upwards of $40, which is unusual for a year and a half old game.
    Sure, but $40 for a game that originally sold for $40 is not exactly a sign that it's rare. It's probably a sign that it's good and it has maintained its value because a lot of the people that own it don't have an interest in selling their copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yah but theres no way a game is gonna be rare when its still in print, which practically all of the games of this gen are the number of rares from last gen is hella low as it is ;p

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My personal stance on the matter is that everyone has to start thinking about what kinds of games set off their "rarity signal." A few years ago you could make a pretty safe bet that a quirky Japanese game or Atlus RPG would go up in value. It seems that people are still in that mindset but if there are going to be genuine rarities on the new consoles (not just R3s that go for $50 because they're popular) then they'll probably be the kinds of games that just got hit with some bad luck. A company folds. A game gets recalled. Some kind of limited promotion. Those kinds of weird situations are what people should probably be looking for instead of the "Anime RPG = Rare" outlook. This is of course all based on what's out there for sale. There's bound to be rarities if you want to include things like developer related games/tools, possibly store kiosk discs, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt there will be that many rarities for this generation. I think it will be limited to:

-Limited Editions that are truly "limited" (such as as MGS 3: Subsistence LE on the PS2, and even that is just an R5)
    -A few Wii and DS budget titles from smaller publishers

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Impossible Mission and Super Fruit Fall for the Wii will be rare, as they seem to have been low print runs... but they're both budget games, and they're both straight DS ports, so any value is likely quite limited.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Last I checked, the minimum run you could do of a title for the PS3 or 360 was 50,000 units.
    So you're saying there could be >50,000 units of Operation Darkness sitting around? The horror...the horror.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

As DigitalSpace mentioned, the truly rare LE's.

In regards to 360 stuff, Mass Effect (was online exclusive in states), Bioshock, CoD4 LE (trust me, its not easy to find, not worth anything, but not easy to find), The Halo 3 LE (the one in the tin, this had the smallest print run of the 3 versions, and I see this very infrequently).

There are a number of very hard to find DS games (Biker Mice From Mars among others), but only a few are commanding any money (Monopoly DS) besides somewhat short printed RPG's.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post

In regards to 360 stuff, Mass Effect (was online exclusive in states), Bioshock, CoD4 LE (trust me, its not easy to find, not worth anything, but not easy to find), The Halo 3 LE (the one in the tin, this had the smallest print run of the 3 versions, and I see this very infrequently).

There are a number of very hard to find DS games (Biker Mice From Mars among others), but only a few are commanding any money (Monopoly DS) besides somewhat short printed RPG's.
    Awesome! I bought that tin version of halo 3 lol.

I'd assume that maybe the LE Devil May Cry? I don't see it much places but walmart still sells it...oddly enough the LE version is 49.99 and the normal edition is 59.99, doesnt seem right.

maybe the LE version of MGS 4 and GTA 4 could be "rare" and sought after, possibly in a few years. maybe the LE gears of war? I rarely see that too.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm putting my money on the Wii games that get small runs, budget and/or limited retail release, may become more in demand than the supply can support in the future and are continuations of modern niche or classic long asleep series. Even some of the small print run stuff may not be that in demand because most of them suck... I don't see many PS3/360 titles being rare. Unless, as stated, you are talking the actual LEs. Not the LEs everyone gets.

On a related note, I been trying to track down a copy of Counter Force locally. Haven't seen one yet. Besides the one I saw at TRU last Christmas...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've grown very skeptical about limited editions. Look at Jade Empire. There's at least a 1:1 ratio between the standard and limited editions of that game. Same goes for Final Fantasy XII. Maybe some of those you listed would qualify but it seems like these days predicting if a limited edition will actually be limited is a coin toss.

And, yeah. The Wii budget titles have probably the best shot at hitting that rare and valuable mark. It's not a stretch to envision a situation where a genuinely good budget title comes out and gets buried by higher profile games and it's not until later that everyone realizes how good the game is and tries to get a copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think TonyTheTiger nailed it. As a result of the obscene prices fetched by certain Playstation RPGs, collectors and scalpers became obsessed with the notion that anime-based RPGs - i.e. anything brought over by Atlus/NIS - will become valuable in X amount of time. Because so many people have whorded these particular titles hoping to resell them, they're value hasn't budged. That Atlus is beginning to repress titles once they become rare is also a tremendous blow to any potential resell value.

This generation's "rare" ("valuable") games will be on the Wii. A game like Blast Works, for example, has more potential to be "rare" than most other games. After a month or so on the shelves, the game was selling so poorly that it's price was cut 50-75% by most retailers. I imaginge stores will be dried up within another month. The game did extremely well critically, however, and is absolutely one of a kind - just the type of game to generate a cult following. That said, it may forever be a cheap, overlooked title. TIME WILL TELL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post

Mass Effect CE was exclusive for online in North America because I was able to buy it online off bestbuy.ca with no problems.

It's rare but it was all over North America that I know of.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    On a related note, I been trying to track down a copy of Counter Force locally. Haven't seen one yet. Besides the one I saw at TRU last Christmas...
    Funny... I see Counter Force all over the place here in Winnipeg. It looks pretty decent compared to all the crappy DDI releases, but I've been waiting for a price drop before I buy it (even though it's everywhere, everywhere is still charging $20).

Speaking of LE's, here in Canada, many games are released with bilingual packaging, but Microsoft has been releasing full-on French-language versions (French voices in-game even) of some games, including Halo 3 and Forza 2. If I'm not mistaken, Forza 2 LE was never released in the US (still not sure why exactly), so I would imagine that the French-Canadian version will end up being very rare... though like most of the games mentioned, not really worth any significant amount.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wonder_Hamster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what happened to this board? it used to have intelligent and interesting conversations, and not stupid and pointless speculation

this thread deserves a
    In need of repair: Atari 5200, Colecovision, Pioneer Laseractive CLD-A100
    http://users.ign.com/collection/HamsterX

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was so intelligent and interesting! Thank you.

I hate regional supply inconsistencies. I find it all over the net and cheap too. I'm just a sucker for the instant gratification.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-03-2008 at 02:00 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I figured Manhunt 2 would have been rare but apparently it's not....

I have the game because I love the original but I don't enjoy it as much as the first. I think it's because the kills aren't shown anymore. Can anyone explain to me why Rockstar wasn't allowed to show the same things they did in the original Manhunt? In the first you could:

- Take a butcher knife, sneak up behind an enemy, press the right button and it would show the main character hacking over and over at the guy's neck until his head falls off.
    -Come up from behind and choke an enemy with a bat until he passes out and falls to his knees then take the bat and bust the guy's head.
    -Take a wire and saw an enemy's head off

In Manhunt 2 when you press the button for the main character to do the execution, the screen blurs and you can't tell what's going on. I know that there is something you can download to modify the game but it doesn't make sense to me that Rockstar couldn't show that stuff in the second one when they could in the first and even Bethesda is allowed to show that kind of stuff in Fallout 3.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I'd say the BioShock LE, complete with figurine. Because the majority of the people who bought the LE bought it for the figurine, and will likely never sell it. LEs without the figurine will be a little more common, I'd imagine.