Thread: SNES: Robotrek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Lostdwarf

Default SNES: Robotrek

So I got Robotrek a few weeks ago at a flea market. I've played it a few times, love it! This game has to be one of the most underrated SNES games. I mean i never have even heard of it till I found it. Anyone have any input on this game, and whats with all the robots. (havent gotten far in the game)

mike

..."The One And Only"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played through it on an emulator a few years ago. It's okay, I guess. Some bits really are kind of tedious - my strongest memory of the game is trying to combine every inventory item with every other inventory item, and doing it all over again each and every time I got a new item. I also found it quite easy to completely mess up early on by unbalancing my robot's stats. And I never did figure out the combo system.

Still, it's occasionally clever, and some of the music is pretty good.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty decent.

The whole "let's use something to fight for you" idea is almost a precursor to Pokemon.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I enjoy it quite a bit. Very original, non-fantasy RPG, hell yeah.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Like the OP mentioned, it's a very underrated game. I remember just getting into the SNES (like, almost right after being introduced to the console) and a friend of mine showed me this fun RPG. It wasn't soon after that I got my own copy and played through it.

One thing that really intrigues me is the music score. Quirky and imaginative (much like the game itself), it was the sole composing credit of an Ayako Yoda. She may have composed other games under an alias, but as far as using her actual name, that's it. If you Google around, you'll find that there's an Ayako Yoda who's a concert pianist in the Boston, MA area (YouTube). I almost want to try and contact her just to see if it is the same person and if so, ask her why she only worked on one game. It's actually not bad, and one of my favorite scores for the system.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first played Robotrek around the time of its release, and was quite taken with the game. There's an exchange early on involving a "Surprise Horn" which I find highly amusing, due to completely off dialogue such as "Evil is good. Evil is the job." It's a fun game with a cool customization aspect, but not one I would consider a classic.

If you're looking for advice on the game, as always, www.gamefaqs.com may be a stronger avenue to explorer.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Robotrek is one of the few RPGs I didn't like. For me, it was an awesome premise, but it was executed very badly. By that I mean the part you eventually get to where there are non-boss enemies who are basically invincible and can kill you in one hit if you're not using the specific weapon they're weak against, but the only way to find out what that is, is to experiment. I just got frustrated at that point and gave up on it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    Like the OP mentioned, it's a very underrated game. I remember just getting into the SNES (like, almost right after being introduced to the console) and a friend of mine showed me this fun RPG. It wasn't soon after that I got my own copy and played through it.

One thing that really intrigues me is the music score. Quirky and imaginative (much like the game itself), it was the sole composing credit of an Ayako Yoda. She may have composed other games under an alias, but as far as using her actual name, that's it. If you Google around, you'll find that there's an Ayako Yoda who's a concert pianist in the Boston, MA area (YouTube). I almost want to try and contact her just to see if it is the same person and if so, ask her why she only worked on one game. It's actually not bad, and one of my favorite scores for the system.
    You know, it's funny because the music is the only thing that's really memorable for me about Robtrek, which I played some 13-odd years ago. Particularly the music in towns. Reminds me of the Peanuts theme song a little bit.

I also remember that was one of those RPG's where you could run (Vay is another, and there's an item in Final Fantasy VI that lets you do it). I dug how the protagonist puts up a magnifying glass when you push the "talk/examine" button.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

got pretty far in this game then my save vanished

havn't played since