Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem with 2 Super nintendos

Hi!

Im having problems with 2 of my super nintendos

first one:

I reacently got this super nes that didnt turn on, so I found a tutorial on how to
    replace the pico fuse, so I got an old snes that only displayed black screen, I removed that snes pico fuse and replaced the one on the other snes, well it turns on now, but, when the game loads and the sound starts to play a loud and persistent "hum" sound is on the background, any Idea whats causing this?

second one:

Ok heres the deal, this super nes turns on and plays fine, with the RF unit the sistem plays excelent, the only problem is when I hook up the AV cables, it displays very badly, like when you played an old macrovision vhs and tried to copy it, it just seems bad. any idea whats causing this? I heard I could solder directly to the RGB pins inside or something like that to fix this, but I havent seen a tutorial for this. any help is welcomed!

thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

the first one, try the console with a completely different set of cables, and if it's the same, try it on a different tv. if the problem persists, seek further guidance:P

second, are you using official av cables bought in the same country as the console, and that were designed for it? it's possible gamecube era cables wont work properly, nintendo didnt quite do a good job of keeping it the same through the generations. also, are you using composite video cables or are you trying to get rgb? soldering directly to the rgb pins inside is only useful if you want to plug it into an rgb monitor.
    this snes definately has a solution, the rf modulator inside the snes just gets it's video signal from the same line as the composite video pin on the av port.. if one works, the other can be made to.

if you want info on av pinouts and mods etc (to get rgb etc) see www.gamesx.com (theres also alot of helpful people on the forums there) but if all you want to do is fix the composite video, then youre best just getting someone like myself to help you out, it isnt too hard and the pinout probably wont help you that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Perhaps it's due to the fact that the fuse might differ slightly than on the other motherboard? If you still have the damaged fuse, verify it's specs to see if they match.

If the fuses are identical, perhaps a leaky capacitor? Kinda like the sound problems on a GameGear? I would verify each and every circuit component to see. You may spot something that is out of the ordinary.

On the other situation, this is very similar to what happened to my PSOne slim. My suggestion is to verify all the components...perhaps something died and can be replaced.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for your answer phreak97, the unit that has the sound problem must be hardware failure since Ive tried it with the RF cable/av cables and also different ones, the second unit the one that only displays fine on the RF cable I sold it today so I can't test it anymore, I told the costumer what the systen had and he still wanted it. Anyways I received a couple of them in with the same problems before (the AV problem) but next time I'll hold one up so I can try and fix it (or damage it in the process haha).

megasdkirby. dude thats what I tought but its the same pico fuse, I'll check every component, since the unit was dead when i got it I don't know if the problem was there before I changed the fuse. meh It seems all the consoles I keep getting a lot of trouble from are the SNES. Including the ones that load the game for 1 second and stay black those I'm almost sure the cpu is fried.

Anyways thanks for the help, I'll post again if I find anything out of the ordinary.

peace

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

the fuse value doesnt make a difference to how the snes runs, until it blows it just acts like a piece of wire. iirc it's a 1.2A fuse, you can quite safely install a fuse socket and a 1.2A glass fuse instead. i've done this a few times before. otherwise if you want to be dodgy, a piece of wire will do fine so long as the snes doesnt meet a situation where the fuse would normally blow.

unfortunately i dont know where else to go from here.. you could trace the audio back and check any components on it.. but i'm not much familiar with snes audio, so i dont really know what to expect.

by the way, if you have an ntsc snes which doesnt work at all (the black screen one you took the fuse from?) i'd be happy to buy it off you if it isnt yellowed much (plus any cables etc you have for it?), because i have a VERY yellowed one which works and has no cables, and i'd like to swap the good bits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreak97 View Post
    unfortunately i dont know where else to go from here.. you could trace the audio back and check any components on it.. but i'm not much familiar with snes audio, so i dont really know what to expect.
    Isn't the sound module on the SNES its own self-contained and removable component? If I remember correctly it simply plugs into the SNES board unless I'm thinking of something else. I suppose you could swap one with the same part from a working SNES to see if there's any difference. If the problem follows the sound module then there's your bad part. If it remains then there's something else wrong. Again, that's if the board is laid out like I think it is, can't remember.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Isn't the sound module on the SNES its own self-contained and removable component? If I remember correctly it simply plugs into the SNES board unless I'm thinking of something else. I suppose you could swap one with the same part from a working SNES to see if there's any difference. If the problem follows the sound module then there's your bad part. If it remains then there's something else wrong. Again, that's if the board is laid out like I think it is, can't remember.
    Hi InsaneDavid thanks for the reply,

Only in generation 1 Snes consoles the sound card is detachable, gen2 has it integrated and gen3 is the same as gen2. I'll have to check the board closely today.

Peace
    Last edited by neojapan; 08-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.