I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Default Upgrade N64 Speed?

With all the new technology these days, couldn't it be possible to upgrade an N64? I notice slowdown when playing some four player games, and wouldn't some extra RAM or whatnot speed things up? Are games programmed to only work with a system's default specs?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    With all the new technology these days, couldn't it be possible to upgrade an N64? I notice slowdown when playing some four player games, and wouldn't some extra RAM or whatnot speed things up? Are games programmed to only work with a system's default specs?
    As far as memory usage, yes, games are programmed to only use the default (or in the case of the N64, sometimes the extra expansion pak) RAM. Console games are really very different from PC games which have all sorts of dynamic and threaded and all hooey-whatnot types of resource management.

Overclocking the CPU of a console might help with framerate drops in some cases maybe, but it would completely break many more games than it would help, so you'd have to be able to switch between facory and overclocked speeds depending on what game you were playing. I doubt it'd be worth it.

Emulation is another matter. N64 emulators on the PC can clean up and improve all sorts of stuff that couldn't be done on the real hardware.

...word is bondage...