Thread: Atomiswave cab: what needed to get running?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atomiswave cab: what needed to get running?

I have been looking for my first candy cab, and I think I've found a good candidate near my home. It's an Atomiswave SD cab going for around $350. Supposedly the monitor works fine (says it's an Egret 3 monitor). It's got the one player control panel instaled.

One thing that worries me is the interior; it seems awfully bare:

Now I am not expecting (nor really wanting) the AW hardware inside, but I do want to run JAMMA boards, install an MVS multi-slot, and possibly later on install a NAOMI setup.

Assuming the monitor and control panel work fine, and the electricals (of what can be seen) are OK, how much work and $$$ would you expect to be necessary to get this system to play JAMMA boards?

It seems like quite a good deal to me given what a complete AW setup goes for...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$350!! That's about 175 quid for an AW cab. Lucky git.

Anyway... I can't see a JAMMA loom in there anywhere. What are the button and sticks wired to; an I/O board? I can see what looks like the JVS power connectors. As for the monitor, if it's a Toshiba trisync from an E3, you've done well. I'm not sure if the monitor accepts all signals through the VGA cable, or if it has a separate input for CGA signals.

If you want to run JAMMA & MVS I'd suggest removing the JVS PSU and putting a normal arcade PSU in there. You'll then just need to hook everything up to a JAMMA harness and you'll be good to go.

If you want to run a Naomi cart system in there then a Naomi MoBo with a Capcom I/O is nice and easy to set-up. You'll be able to plug the JAMMA harness straight on to the Capcom I/O. If you decide you want to run a GD-ROM system in there get a Dreamcast, it's a million times easier and a lot cheaper.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    <snip> If you decide you want to run a GD-ROM system in there get a Dreamcast, it's a million times easier and a lot cheaper.
    There was a company that made units that turned Dreamcasts into coin-op machines. My partner and I looked into this at one time but decided that it was not only shady to do business- wise, but would probably eat mega DCs in the field.

Anyone remember this company and if they're still around?

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

You can just make an adapter. I don't know how difficult it is though. If that atomiswave is standard JAMMA with mono sound, you will not be able to use MVS multislots as I believe they are stereo sound. The 1-slot board is mono and will work.

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/arc_sat1.html

One of the users here pointed me to this. The dreamcast instructions are linked on that page too.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I decided to get it. Let's see what it's like when I get it home -- hopefully sometime this weekend...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. Good plan. Give me a PM if you need any help. We'll get some MVS love on the go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, it's here now. I posted some pics, with questions to follow:

That's the cabinet, in the corner of my game room. I've got a two player panel from an Astro city on it.

Here are the three harness I have. The control panel is hooked up already, so I am not sure what the upper wires are for. Some detail:

Are these to connect other sorts of control panels? Are they of any importance?

As you can see I do actually have a JAMMA harness:

But I have no idea what the other connectors next to the JAMMA connector are. Finally, here's the harness at the base of the cab, which is connected to a D-SUB cable, so I assume it's a NAOMI/Atomiswave harness.

I'm about to try to hook my XRGB + Saturn to the D-SUB connector and see what goodness comes of it. The cabinet has a mono/stereo switch, so I assume it's no problem to run a mix of sound outputs...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 15 pin connectors are likely for the controllers. Maybe there's an extra set for some reason...where do they lead to? The mono switch will take audio from the JAMMA edge, when you switch to stereo you will need to use one of the provided stereo connectors to hook up to a stereo output on a board. For example, the Taito F3 has a separate connector for stereo. There were 2 4-pin connectors in my Egret 2 for this purpose. When switching to stereo, the volume control inside the cab will be useless, you'll control it from whatever board/mobo is in there.