Thread: Nintendo 64 emulation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo 64 emulation

Since we can now talk about emulation status on this system (Read the revised rules in the sticky above!) What is your favorite emulator thus far? Mine is:

http://www.pj64.net/

Project 64 v1.5 . This emulator is absolutely amazing. I really can't believe the high compatibility rate and how well it runs on my now old 1GZ P3 machine and TNT2 card! I get 100% emulation and sound in most games (still not Goldeneye however) and it even has plug ins for the adaptoid so you can use a real N64 joystick with the emulator as well! So, what are you using and how is it running?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

That's the emulator I've been using but there are some real serious issues on my PC. They're not speed issues, they're sound issues. I've tried all of the sound filters and I still get very choppy sound. The compatibility is pretty good but a lot of the ROMS that are listed as compatible have some problems too. I've been holding out for an update to this emulator but nothing new since August 2002...

Any help for the sound issues?

Any hope for the future of this emulator?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default nemu64

i really do own a n64 (shame on me ) and i got to say that the best emulator on the net *lalalalala* is called "nemu 64". because some roms i downloaded do not word with pj64 - but do work on nemu... so far!

may the force be with us
    Dubito cogito ergo sum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    That's the emulator I've been using but there are some real serious issues on my PC. They're not speed issues, they're sound issues. I've tried all of the sound filters and I still get very choppy sound. The compatibility is pretty good but a lot of the ROMS that are listed as compatible have some problems too. I've been holding out for an update to this emulator but nothing new since August 2002...

Any help for the sound issues?

Any hope for the future of this emulator?
    I dont have the sound issues you do. What brand sound card do you have? I run a SBLive, and it is all good with that. As for the updating of this emulator, well, that is uncertain. I cant say if it will ever progress or not...but I sure hope it does. Nemu is spoken of in the post above, and it is pretty good as well. But I have to disagree with it being better than PJ64. The compatibility is far less and the performance (at least on my PC) is much worse. I'll search for the Nemu link anyway, so others can try it out and play around with both...unless you can post it before I do? Im just lazy like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Umm..nevermind

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't have trouble with PJ64 and you're running a 1Ghz?? I have a 1.7 Ghz, and the emulator stutters constantly on the only two roms I have (snowboard kids and beetle adventure racing). Also, on the latter, all the cars flash constantly. I'm also having some (minor) sound problems, and I also have a SB Live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    You don't have trouble with PJ64 and you're running a 1Ghz?? I have a 1.7 Ghz, and the emulator stutters constantly on the only two roms I have (snowboard kids and beetle adventure racing). Also, on the latter, all the cars flash constantly. I'm also having some (minor) sound problems, and I also have a SB Live.
    Is the 1.7 an Athlon or a Pentium? My 1Gz is a P3, and like I said I'm fine. Using PJ64 v1.5. Some roms of course do not run correctly, and that isn't due to my specs, but the emulator itself. Try Super Mario 64 first, since almost every emulator I have tried seems to run this first game perfectly. Let me know how that game runs on your system (studdering, flashing if any)

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I'll try to get ahold of mario 64. My 1.7 is a P4, by the way. not an athlon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PJ64 is the best emulator for most games, since it has the highest compatibility. Its weakness is that not all the games run perfectly, and you have to tweak all the knobs to get certain games to work properly. I do know there's a lot of help available at the PJ64 message boards, so I guess anyone with problems should go there.

I don't think there will be any more upgrades to this emulator. At least that's what the creators have said since last year. Of course, there are a few other N64 emus that are on the way up, and thanks to the ever-evolving PC, it's only a matter of time until the N64 is emulated perfectly.

Personally, I've found it great for Mario, Zelda, and F-Zero, and I only have a bare-bones video card.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!