Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Restoring an SMS Model 2

My friend was recently given an SMS Model 2 (lucky bastard).

Yes, the system works. It is running Alex Kidd in Miracle World as I write this (the built in game).

Now, I would like to restore the SMS. Cosmetically restore.

When I popped open the console to clean it, I noticed the metal sheet (which I think acts as a ground) on both the top and under the motherboard is rusted nearly completely. I know I can't simply remove the rust and it will look like new. However, I am interested in removing as much as possible and try to put it as close as the day it was purchased. Or at least as best as possible.

Also, he does not have his original SMS Model 2 AC Adapter. He is using a Model 1 Genesis adapter in the meantime. What are the specs for it?

How can I polish the outer plastic casing to remove as many scuff marks as possible?

My intention is to put it in great shape, or close to it.

Any help, and any additional help regarding other maintenance issues, would he appreciated.

Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    When I popped open the console to clean it, I noticed the metal sheet (which I think acts as a ground) on both the top and under the motherboard is rusted nearly completely. I know I can't simply remove the rust and it will look like new. However, I am interested in removing as much as possible and try to put it as close as the day it was purchased. Or at least as best as possible.
    That piece of metal you described is actually the RF shield. You might as well leave it be, or remove it if you want. The RF shield in my Atari 5200 was the same way, and I decided to remove it and throw it away.

Also, he does not have his original SMS Model 2 AC Adapter. He is using a Model 1 Genesis adapter in the meantime. What are the specs for it?
    I believe the specs for both the SMS 2 and the model 1 Genesis are exactly the same.

How can I polish the outer plastic casing to remove as many scuff marks as possible?
    Use a Magic Eraser (you can find these at the grocery store). It works well for removing minor scuffs, but not quite so much for major ones. Cleaning the outside of the system helps too. What I do with dirty systems is I disassemble the entire system, take the plastic shell and wash it in the sink with dishwashing soap. I've done this for most of my systems and they all come out looking great.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magic Eraser is ABRASIVE. Fine on a matte finish. On a gloss finish, it will render it a matte finish.

Use with care.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My intention is to put it in great shape, or close to it.

Any help, and any additional help regarding other maintenance issues, would he appreciated.

For cleaning I use a toothbrush to remove the dirt that can't be reached with just a cloth.

For making the plastic shine again I use Pledge for wood (the brown one).

Before and after shot:
    http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...te/guia/06.jpg

I have a cleaning guide at an auction site. It's in Spanish but the pictures might help:
    http://guia.mercadolibre.com.mx/limp...chos-40204-VGP

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I've also found that Armor-All for plastic/vinyl auto interiors works well on shining plastic surfaces as well.

However, be VERY careful if you're using it indoors over a non-carpeted surface as any that falls on the floor will make that surface so slippery that the next person to walk through will slip/fall flat on their ass.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Thank you so much for all the responses!

Izarate, don't worry about the link...I can read spanish fluidly (I'm from Puerto Rico)

The link was awesome. Also, Frankie, thanks for the tip as well! I will be trying all methods to see what happens!

omnedon, can I use your tactic on motherboards? The motherboard, although intact in overall in good shape, does require a bit of maintenance. Yes, I know canned air spray is best, but that won't actually clean the interior to a shine. I did manage to remove lots of guck and grime, but I want to protect it further. For example, make the cartridge port contacts shine.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I've also found that Armor-All for plastic/vinyl auto interiors works well on shining plastic surfaces as well.

However, be VERY careful if you're using it indoors over a non-carpeted surface as any that falls on the floor will make that surface so slippery that the next person to walk through will slip/fall flat on their ass.

Woo hoo thanks for the tip! I am ready to make some hilarious YOUTUBE videos!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    I have a cleaning guide at an auction site. It's in Spanish but the pictures might help:
    http://guia.mercadolibre.com.mx/limp...chos-40204-VGP
    In the article, you mention the use of BRASSO to remove the last parts of grime from game contacts.

Isn't this dangerous?

Also, if it is safe, can that method be used to clean console contacts? You know, somehow use it to penetrate the cart slot so it can remove as much shit as possible, leaving the contacts almost like new?

How can this be done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The motherboard, although intact in overall in good shape, does require a bit of maintenance. Yes, I know canned air spray is best, but that won't actually clean the interior to a shine. I did manage to remove lots of guck and grime, but I want to protect it further. For example, make the cartridge port contacts shine.

Thanks in advance!
    I use a thing that is used to clean laboratory supplies. I don't recall the name right now. I got it at stores that sell clinical supplies.

I use it as a broom to clean the motherboard.

In the article, you mention the use of BRASSO to remove the last parts of grime from game contacts.

Isn't this dangerous?
    Dangerous for the cart? No. Brasso is a metal polisher. It's supposed to be used for that. To apply it correctly you'll have to open the cart, put a little over the contacts and then buff over them with a dry cloth. Just remember to buy the liquid variant, not the paste.

Also, if it is safe, can that method be used to clean console contacts? You know, somehow use it to penetrate the cart slot so it can remove as much shit as possible, leaving the contacts almost like new?

How can this be done?
    No, the Brasso won't magically dissolve the dirt on contacts. For cleaning console contacts, using official or third party cleaning kits is recommended. If you can't get one, using a driver's license card or something similar covered with a very thin cloth with isopropil alcohol is a very good option.
    Last edited by izarate; 08-09-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Woo hoo thanks for the tip! I am ready to make some hilarious YOUTUBE videos!
    Dude, it's like an invisible oil slick on a vinyl or hardwood floor.

Seriously dangerous stuff.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"