Thread: Dragon Warrior IV : Ragnar's Great Quest

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon Warrior IV : Ragnar's Great Quest

Yeah, so the names are different in the Japanese version. Don't care :P

Ragnar began his quest with several special abilities given to him by a certain "genie", including the Sword of Miracles (25% of damage dealt = HP restore to user), which somehow actually restores 100% of damage, the ability to attack twice in a round (it was a very generous genie), and the ability to gain one million EXP points per battle (very generous slimes).

Mysteriously, he could also walk through walls and over water, and if he so chose, never meet any monsters.

After walking across the river, he gets to Izmit, where children are being abducted and some guy is thrown in jail. At night the guy professes to be 'Alex', who is the husband of some chick back at the castle. Ragnar fetches said woman, guy gets out of jail, and ragnar learns there's a "well" southeast of Izmit.

Ragnar is disappointed that the treasure chests located behind the shopkeepers that are impossible for the average adventurer to get are empty. Why do those guys keep so many empty chests?

Down the well, Ragnar tries to walk through some walls but instead falls into a mysterious room, and when he tries to walk through THOSE walls he finds himself outside the well entirely. He goes back, deciding to do it the old fashioned way, and eventually finds a Heal Slime who joins him. Ragnar ignores the rest of the cave since he can just walk over the moat to the tower where the children are being kept.

He does so, kills the boss in one hit (now he is level 99 with a 2-hitting sword of miracles). Kills the assistant with another. Saves two children.

At this point Ragnar decides to go on a bit of a hiatus and walks over the ocean to the lighthouse, where he meets Taloon. Taloon tells him to help him beat the bosses at the top of the tower in order to be able to get a ship. Ragnar easily pwns said bosses and the tower is re-lit.

Taloon joins Ragnar in the town but mysteriously and immediately dies. When Rangar goes to the priest for help, Taloon is brought back to life, only to once again die after one step.

Ragnar realizes here that he doesn't actually need a ship, so he walks south until he hits a small town where Christo is sick and Brey is nursing him. Brey joins Ragnar to help find a cure for Christo, but Brey too joins dead and when revived dies after one step. Some sort of mysterious plague.

Giving up on gaining new allies, Ragnar buys a Wing of Wyvern from the store. A SPECIAL wing of wyvern, as the item store must too have received a blessing from a "genie". He warps to the last refuge and finds the big bad boss protected by a barrier and high mountains. Ragnar climbs over the mountains and laughs at the barrier. Marching up the mountain with a Heal Slime and two children following, he feels an evil prescence: Necrosaro!

Ragnar proceeds to do battle with Necrosaro. Ragnar takes up to 400 points of damage a round, but is miraculously healed that same amount each turn through the sword of miracles. Necrosaro eventually dies!

With the mountain shaking and falling, a wagon suddenly appears behind Ragnar and a dragon saves him! However, at this point the world explodes as Ragnar was NOT the chosen one and yet killed the Big Bad Guy. A relaxing jingle known as "that song they play at the Zenithian Castle" plays for eternity while everything else is sucked into a vacuum.

Thus ends Ragnar's quest.

(In other news, I beat Dragon Warrior IV on Chapter 1 with the help of a great many codes blessed upon me by a certain "genie")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

EDIT: I see what you're saying now. Pretty cool story
    Last edited by boatofcar; 08-10-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

i've done simmilar myself, and the reason brey and taloon died was because thier initial stats are set at teh begiinning of each of thier chapters, since you never went to those chapters all of thier stats end up being zero, when I used to fiddle with the game genie id usualy start each charecter with the final key (snowblast sword for taloon makes his quest much easier).

just remeber, cheaters never win...well they do..but they usualy destroy the world in the process.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking that their stats were probably set that way, but when you revive them, they dont have zero HP, they have 13 or something (level 1 stats).

I've already beat the NES game AND the PS1 remake, so I've earned the right to totally mess around with the game. The way the game is structured makes cheating a lot more interesting than say dragon warrior 3 or something.

My next task might be a run through of dragon warrior 2 where the Hero really hates the useless prince and decides not to bother recruiting him. That mostly depends on me finding a code that lets me bypass the soldier blocking the tunnel who won't leave until you have the prince.

Honestly, the prince is the Edward of Dragon quest games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the prince becomes pretty usufull once you give him the falcon sword, though I always felt both the prince and princess were just slowing you down, I want a gg code that lets you have 3 hero's in your party instead (might be dificult without certain magic spells, but I like a challenge) its been awile, what is preventing you from skipping the princess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

So does the screen glitch out at the end?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't glitch, it freezes. Probably because at that point the dragon is supposed to be talking with the hero, who doesn't exist :P

in DW2, if you don't get the princess you can't cross a tunnel you need to cross. Yet another soldier says something like "thou shalt not pass".

The princess is so much better than the prince in every way too.

I don't think GG can give you three heros, that would probably require ASM hacking.
    And it might not be the best idea either, since uh, you'd have absolutely no healing or revival spells in a game where the monsters spam instant-death effects and high-damage spells.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I was thinking that, still it would be interesting to see how far you could get, conciebably the hero can kill almost every monster in one hit if properly leveled, his only catch would be he's slow as shit. I remeber having fun with ff4 changing cecil back into a dark knight after mt. ordeals and beating the game with various shitty parties (pre gba remake) and man do his high level stats suck!.