Thread: Getting rid of pen writing, a few other questions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting rid of pen writing, a few other questions

Ok, so I collect PS1 games and i have a few that have some things i would like to fix:

1 - I have a near mint black label copy of final fantasy IX and everything is perfect, except the weenie who sold the game to me on craigslist wrote in pen on the back of the manual... seriously i just got done telling this guy im really picky and only like exc. condition black label completes, and he writes the date and name of the mall we met at for the swap on it

so is there any way to "erase" pen? im thinking not, and its not the end of the world i guess becase how often would you see the back of the manual? but still im just picky like that.

2 - I have a longbox copy of Twisted Metal thats in pretty decent condition, except on the very top one of the corners of the boxart is starting to peel. I dont know much about lonboxes, but it looks like they basically glued cardboard art to the black plastic hinge cases... what kind of glue is ok? i would think super glue is best, but i dont wanna use a kind of glue that might hurt the paper art? like corrode or something?

thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

same thing happened to me, i bought ninja gaiden from a pawn shop and someone wrote on the label with a pen, but i did get it off. It may work for you to.

what I did was just rub it with my thumb till it got really faded that you wouldn't know it was there unless I told you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The goodwill near me had a nasty habit of writing the price of their cartridge games directly on the cart. Since it was a pain to clean off I mentioned something to them, now they write the price directly on the label in thick black marker. I can't tell if they're being jerks or just idiotic.

I've used rubber glue successfully with reapplying labels onto Atari 2600 cartridges. It's made for paper products.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so because i dont want to make the manual worse, and the only time i would see it is when actually looking at the back of the manual (almost never) i decided to forget about that..

however the long box is still an issue with the artwork peeling in the corner... i tried searching for rubber glue but no store had any idea what i was talking about... at this point im looking at maybe trying plain old elmers glue? just in light amounts so the moisture doesnt ruin the artwork or something

anyways, i also have a NEW issue with a different game case (oh joy)

I just bought the longbox version of Battle Arena Toshinden for my ps1, and the guy claims the case is in good shape except some scuff marks and sticker residue... now im ok with the scuff marks because im aware these saturn style longbox jewel cases are a PAIN in the arse to find in remotely good condition, so ill take a few damn scuff marks... but the sticker residue? that stuff drives me crazy... i havent gotten the game just yet, but i wanna have what i need before it arrives, so what do you recommend?

I always hear about goo gone, is that safe for plastic jewel cases? what about rubbing alcohol, etc etc?

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think elmers glue would be as good as rubber glue. I've used rubber glue before, and it turns out better. Plus I'm not sure how well elmers would bond paper and plastic. It might, just seems like it might not be the best. If anything, why not use two-sided tape? I use that a ton for posters and other applications where I just need a little bit of bonding. You can get normal scotch tape that's two sided. It works really well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks for the tips!

im gonna go back to the store to grab the stuff, along with some goo gone

my battle arena toshinden arrived in great condition minus some sticker residue that should come off easy... just hope this goo gone works as everyone says!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I got marker off of a Genesis Outrun cartridge last week with just rubbing alcohol.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK