View Poll Results: Would you buy an adapter for TV-Out for the DS?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 83.33%
  • no

1 16.67%

Thread: Q-mark tv-out for the DS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Q-mark tv-out for the DS

Just wondering,

Does anyone here actually *have* the TV-out contraption for the DS that was sold back in 2006 by Taiwanese company Q-Mark?

Here are two old articles on it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/08/24...ds-on-your-tv/

and

http://www.qj.net/Play-the-DS-on-you...g/49/aid/63650

If so, I'm curious on how well it works, does anyone actually use it often, and if so, for what purposes?

Or is it more of a conversation piece/collection thing?

Talkback on both of the above articles is almost completely negative (most people seem to feel that it defeats the purpose of a DS, and looks ugly), but I'm wondering if there are any other people besides my wife and I who would buy something like this anyway if another company made something similar.

I was thinking that for a single player it would be absolutely useless, but if more than one person wanted to take turns playing a DS while other people watched, it could actually be really useful. This is the primary reason why my wife and I are interested in TV-out for a DS.

I would love to buy this from someone, but I'm assuming if anyone has one, they wouldn't even consider selling it, so I'm not going to bother putting this in the buy/sell forum.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a custom mod that did the same thing.

A similar prototype was attempted by Lik-Sang to put the top part of the screen on a TV,

http://gonintendo.com/?p=2285

Also I think some people on youtube have gotten the top part on a TV using video cameras, but I would think that this would only be useful showing both screens.

Along similar lines, Neal Tew made a “Jumbotron DS” using 2 Tablet PC screens, but I’m thinking more along the lines of one person plays on the DS while another person/people watch on a TV. Plus the thing cost him around $600 to make!
    http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

But if someone has one of the actual Q-Marks, I'd love to hear about how well it works and pictures, screenshots, or a video would be fantastic!

Also I'd love to hear from anyone else who thinks DS TV-Out is a good idea, as its not hard to find comments from people who think its a bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have to say this is the first i've heard of any of these devices. Definitely cool, definitely impractical for most uses. would be good for reviewers looking for directly pulled screen shots, in that fashion its similar to the wide boy 64. Best advice for locating one would be to obsessively ebay for it until it pops up (sooner or later everything will pop up on ebay).
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think TV out from a DS is a great idea. When I was trying to decide whether I wanted a DS or a GP2X, it was really only the TV out on the GP that was attracting me.

Ideally, you would need to be able to select between different view options like just the top screen, just the bottom screen, both screens scaled down and possibly even a mode to send the output from each screen through different cables to two separate TVs (!).

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That JumbotronDS is awesome. I've never played Zelda DS and I want to play it on that. Hell, if Nintendo's next console was something along those lines, it'd be great.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Oh fuck, why didn't this thing get off the ground? I would've bought it in an instant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic