Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor packaging with an Ebay purchase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Poor packaging with an Ebay purchase

I recently won an Ebay auction for a PS1 Brave fencer Musashi. As soon as I picked up the package I knew something was wrong. I opened it up and saw this:

So Iam pretty upset with the lack of care that went into the packaging of this item. I tested the game for about 20 minutes, and it seems to be working fine. There are lots of light scratches on the disc, which wasen't present in the auction. So Iam certain this is a result of the packaging.

I haven't left feedback yet. Iam curious as to how some of you might handle this situation. Would you give negitive or netural feedback? Or perhaps positive feedback since the game seems to work fine?

Insert Coin (Level 0) riverdragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would let the seller know how the package arrived and ask for some sort of partial refund. If the seller responds quickly and takes care of your issues leave a positive but note the packaging was good BUT the seller took care of it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by riverdragon View Post
    I would let the seller know how the package arrived and ask for some sort of partial refund. If the seller responds quickly and takes care of your issues leave a positive but note the packaging was good BUT the seller took care of it.
    Agreed and that's exactly what I'd do except note that the packaging was "not" good but the seller took care of it!
    www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by riverdragon View Post
    There is a problem: many times Ebay takes "give me a refund (even if partial) while I keep the item" as a type of extortion.

How much did the seller charge for shipping? Was insurance added/requested?

If possible, can you post a link, or at least the sellers ID?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the responces so far.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    There is a problem: many times Ebay takes "give me a refund (even if partial) while I keep the item" as a type of extortion.

How much did the seller charge for shipping? Was insurance added/requested?

If possible, can you post a link, or at least the sellers ID?

The seller charged me $6.50 for shipping. The actual shipping cost according to the envolope stamp was $2.66. The seller could have a least used a bubble envolope and secured the case with a bit of tape so the contents dont spill out.

I'd rather not post the sellers ID untill I contact him. Also Iam not really looking for a refund. I got the game and it seems to work just find, although a bit scratched now. I am was just curious as to what kind of feedback is appropriate. Consider too that this seller has 100% positive feedback.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Jesus. Ask for a full shipping refund and neg his ass after getting it. He totally deserves it for the shipping gouge and the poor packaging. I mean, a friggin' bubble mailer costs fifty cents! That's fucking inexcusable, regardless of his 100% positive feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

You are right: for that amount the seller should have at least added a bit of padding to protect the item. I know most sellers are going to charge more for "handling" (which is basically fees incurred and packaging materials...and as some nasty sellers would put "the time wasted and slurpy purchased") but still, a nice little bubble wrap would have done wonders. Or a little box. Not simply stick the game inside a manilla envelope.

Contact the seller, but DO NOT ask for a refund. Never say the term. Just tell him what happened and that you are not pleased that for the amount requested for shipping, nothing was done to secure it. Also, clarify that you understood and agreed to the shipping fees, and that the fee itself is not a problem (this will prevent the bullshit some sellers say about "you agreed so you can't complain statement). But that you are concerned that for the amount listed, the item should have been protected, as this is a sellers responsability.

Also show him the picture you took. Tell him that the inadequate packaging scuffed the game ever further.

Truth be told, no matter what happens, give the seller a neutral. Don't worry: in a few weeks the neutral will no longer affect a sellers score. However, "ding" the sellers star accordingly, specially in the shipping department. Don't go to low as to get revenge, but don't give him perfect for something that was not.

But if he does something to rectify this, just don't give him feedback. You have a choice. But don't neg him...it's not worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Don't worry: in a few weeks the neutral will no longer affect a sellers score.
    I agree with everthing but this. It stays on for a year. I have 1 neutral from 10 months ago keeping my score lower than it's ever been.

But yeah. I'd at least leave a neutral after contacting the seller. If they give a refund or fix the problem in an acceptable way then consider leaving a positive instead.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I agree with everthing but this. It stays on for a year. I have 1 neutral from 10 months ago keeping my score lower than it's ever been.
    You did not know? Ebay is reversing the neutrals later on in August.

They will no longer count as negatives. Nor will they count at all. They are neutrals, like they suppose to be.

I would not give them a positive even after a refund or partial refund. Becuase they most surely would have blocked the buyer. So why give good feedback to a seller who does not want you back? I would not give him feedback at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

They will no longer count as negatives. Nor will they count at all. They are neutrals, like they suppose to be.
    This is the first I've heard of it. That's good news. When I complaned to Ebay about it they didn't seem to understand why anyone would be upset. I guess I'm not the only one who complaned.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) riverdragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it. That's good news. When I complaned to Ebay about it they didn't seem to understand why anyone would be upset. I guess I'm not the only one who complaned.
    This is the first I have heard of it too. As soon as policy didn't allow sellers to leave anything but positive feedback I got 2 Neutrals (according to the actual feedback) for taking more then 2 days to send the items. *sigh*

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

thats really sad..
    I remember when I bought a game of ebay, the lady told me it was her sons. That she bought BRAND NEW from FYE, so I asked if any scratches were on it, she said "NO". So I thought BRAND NEW she is telling the truth. Later to find out when she send it there are quite a few surface scratches,. Thank God!, it didn't effect playing.

Also did you buy "Insurance". If so you can complain to him / her because "insurance protects against: Lost and Damaged".
    I would talk to the seller about it. Who know you might get some money back.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Feedback for neutral. I always thought neutral was no +1 or -1, thats what ebay used to say. Now I guess it finally taking effect, Also as for negative I thought it was -1.

Then again I think they are doing away with negative, cause I had an e-mail saying "no more negative feedback allowed", or something along the lines of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah common sense is often lacking, I recently received a Colecovision system with some games and accessories that would be crossing the canadian border, now I paid for USPS Priority postage and sure enough I DID receive the items in the appropiate boxes, my problem though? Well, it was 2 boxes taped together but worse of all the boxes were pretty banged up and to my surprise when I opened them it was all loose items inside, I mean loose and sliding all around, I expected bubble wrap around a 25 year old console and accessories, at the very LEAST some rolled up balls of newspaper for some cushioning? Amazinglt and luckily everthing appeared working as I was worried and tested right away, ONLY because everything was working I left positive feedback (I fear negative feedback retaliation) but I DID also message the seller to suggest in future the should add some type of padding when shipping items, especially old/delicate collectable items instead of just dropping them loosely in the box, I got good feedback in return but no reply to my suggestion.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 08-14-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: correction
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Wow, at least it is safe.
    That is nothing like a seller did to me though.

They promised me a mint-in-box complete Japanese GBA game.
    Well, they charged me $6.00 to send it along with a Japanese DS game.
    About 2 weeks after I payed, the games finally arrived. BUT, something was wrong.
    They were inside of a BUBBLELESS envelope. I opened it up and revealed the horror: the GBA game did not receive damage from JUST the poor envelope. The box was ripped at the corners, the cardboard tray was messed up inside of the box. What about the cart, then?
    THE GUY DID NOT EVEN PUT IT INTO THE BOX. It was flopping around in the bottom of the envelope, and it's little protective baggie was wadded up inside the tray.

Now, here's my question: how does a game exit it's wrapper inside such a tight space, leave the box without opening it, and wad up it's baggie all by itself?
    The DS game also had a bad coffee stain on it's case.
    After calling this guy, he claims that they were mint. (by the sound of it, he sounded like he was only 14/15)
    I then threw the games back into the envelope in the manner he had, put the envelope into a box, and mailed it back.
    He sent me a refund, but it was about $8 short.
    Oh well, at least I won that one.

Also, I was charged $4.50 for the shipment of a complete copy of Super Smash Brothers.
    It arrived WRAPPED IN PAPER!
    Luckily, it survived and nothing was wrong with the box/game/inserts.

I question these people's ability to think. -___-
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

And what's funny is that they start bitching about how buyers are horrible and ruining Ebay (on the Feedback discussion board). Yet it is THEM that do the fuck ups, yet the buyers are to blame.

Sure...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

And what's funny is that they start bitching about how buyers are horrible and ruining Ebay (on the Feedback discussion board). Yet it is THEM that do the fuck ups, yet the buyers are to blame.

Sure...
    That's exactly what they are doing.
    These whiney sellers need to get their butts in gear and start obtaining some common sense. Then they will not need to blame the buyers.
    (Unless they are really jerks, that is. They don't care anyway.)
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You want to know why sellers are bitter (and not just on the worthless, censored ebay message boards)?

On ebay, there are bad sellers and good sellers, and bad buyers and good buyers, just like in real life there are bad/good McDonald's employees, bad/good FBI agents, bad/good priests, and so on.

As a buyer, if you are having a miserable experience with a bad seller, what can you do? Quite a lot. File a chargeback though Paypal or your credit card company. Leave a neg/neutral feedback. File an ebay Non-Performing Seller dispute. Unless you're in the .001% of people who were victimized by a really elaborate scam, there's a really good chance the only thing you'll have lost is time if you know what you're doing.

However, as a seller, if you're dealing with an awful buyer, you have NO recourse now. Ebay has cut off the sellers' arms to declaw them. Someone refuses to pay? You have to just suck it up and hope that ebay is kind enough to refund your fees. No more negs for buyers, and most of them know this. I've had buyers laugh it off, saying they weren't going to pay, daring me to file a completely useless non-paying bidder report. When ebay took away the sellers' abilities to leave the appropriate feedback, they also promised that they'd take NPB reports much more seriously. Not so much.

Also, on selling end, if you're getting scammed, ebay and Paypal simply won't help you unless the authorities are involved (which is pretty ridiculous for anything less than a few hundred dollars). A few months ago, a buyer casually kept my item while successfully filing a chargeback. The exact same thing happened to a seller friend of mine three days ago and if you read about it online, it's shockingly common and VERY easy to do. For three mouse clicks, there's a good chance I get to keep the item AND get my money back? Sign me up!

Essentially, buyers have the upper hand in every aspect of ebay. When you hear about "whiney" sellers today, it's because there is a valid reason for it.

(By the way, that's an absolutely ridiculous packaging job on the PS1 game. If the seller's unwilling to admit fault and/or rectify the situation over email, that's a instant deserved neg in my book.)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please post a link or new article or (best yet) and ebay link that confirms this.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    You want to know why sellers are bitter (and not just on the worthless, censored ebay message boards)?

However, as a seller, if you're dealing with an awful buyer, you have NO recourse now.
    What was the recourse before? Leaving a negative?

How was that recourse? The buyer still could buy from anyone he wanted to. Or he could just open another account.

Really as I've said before . leaving a negative for a buyer NEVER mattered and it accomplished nothing.