Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercenaries 2 Hype Thread. August 31st 2008!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Default Mercenaries 2 Hype Thread. August 31st 2008!

Okay, who else is looking forward to this game? Who else is REALLY looking forward to it?! No interest at all?

Being the huge open-world fan that I am, and a fan of the first title, I fall into the group of REALLY looking forward to it. Full-story online co-op in a game that is all about blowing the $%^& out of everything in sight. I actually managed NOT to get too excited in the last while waiting for the game, but it's out in just over two weeks and I'm really waiting for it now.

This is the first game where I'll really have to think about what platform to buy it on, although the PS3 version has 3 personal pluses off the top of my head:

1) Seeing that the lead development platform is the PS3, I'm inclined to think that it'll run better/smoother/whatever slightly on the PS3. I am waiting for reviewer comments on this, but I also have to consider #2.

2) My good online friend, whom I would have the most fun playing this game with, is going to be grabbing the PS3 version. The only downer is the whole chat situation -- I need to get my bluetooth headset properly configured before the game comes out if I choose PS3.

3) And probably the biggest motivator in my choice and will ultimately decide the version: My Xbox Live Gold is going to expire shortly after the game releases, and have NO desire to renew it, ever. I don't play online outside of co-op. The only online I played was boosting multiplayer achievements, but since I don't care about achievements in the least anymore I have no desire to spend the $60 per year again. The only issue I can see is that the game may underperform in co-op when compared to XBL.

So, who's getting the game? How excited are you for it? Platform preference? Not buying it/not interested? Why?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be renting it, though I'm unsure of which platform it will be for. I never played the first one, but from the videos and previews I've seen, this game looks like it'll be fun. I'm kinda leaning toward the 360 version since it's the only way I can play in HD at the moment (I play my PS3 on a 21 inch SDTV and 360 on a crappy 4:3 monitor via VGA). If the PS3 version runs better I'll most likely go with that version, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am more excited for this mainly because I never played the first but heard such good things about it. What sealed the deal for purchasing this game for myself was on G4's live E3 demo of the game where they showed the nuke going off...damn did that look good. An open world game with co-op is a must buy for me. I am also looking forward to Farcry 2.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I really enjoyed the first Mercenaries and am looking forward to this as well. I'll settle for the PS2 version for now, as I don't have any of the newer systems yet. Exploring a big ass world with a sniper rifle is always fun!.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first one is my favorite Xbox game and one of my all time faves, so yeah, I'm really stoked. Hope Han and Indy make a return, too.

For those who haven't played the first one, think GTA in a war zone with weapon/vehicle/supply drops, artillery/air strikes on demand and awesomely destructible environments. The cheat weapons alone are worth the price of admission.

Portable Air Strike FTW!
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I actually just picked up the PS2 version of the first game (I had it a couple years back but sold it), to quickly revisit before the sequel comes out. I own the xbox version, and planned to play it on my 360. The problem is that the game freezes WAY too often to be able to enjoy the game, and other weird little glitches arise as well when the game works until the next freeze. BC through emulation for the lose, because it is the better looking version of the two.

Having said that, my headset is working just fine now on my PS3, where I couldn't get it to work for the life of me before. Maybe the newest firmware update fixed some issue there. Nevertheless, PS3 version is a go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I actually just picked up the PS2 version of the first game (I had it a couple years back but sold it), to quickly revisit before the sequel comes out. I own the xbox version, and planned to play it on my 360. The problem is that the game freezes WAY too often to be able to enjoy the game, and other weird little glitches arise as well when the game works until the next freeze. BC through emulation for the lose, because it is the better looking version of the two.
    I keep my original Xbox on standby just for this game. It just looks so much better than the PS2 version (I have both)...not to mention I have the cool unlockables in my Xbox save file.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Having said that, my headset is working just fine now on my PS3, where I couldn't get it to work for the life of me before. Maybe the newest firmware update fixed some issue there. Nevertheless, PS3 version is a go.
    Really? I guess you really are done with achievements. I'm going to be getting this on the 360. Mainly because I think the 360 controller is better suited for open world style games.

Quote Originally Posted by FrakAttack View Post
    The first one is my favorite Xbox game and one of my all time faves, so yeah, I'm really stoked. Hope Han and Indy make a return, too.
    LucasArts isn't publishing this one, so I doubt it. But, yeah, it's my favorite Xbox game too.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Really? I guess you really are done with achievements. I'm going to be getting this on the 360. Mainly because I think the 360 controller is better suited for open world style games.
    Yeah, I guess so too. I haven't really cared for them since Bully came out in March. I think GTA broke me out of, what I would call now a bad habit in achievement collecting. After playing such a great game and not caring at all about achievements, that did it for me. It just got too tiresome to increase some stupid number, and totally avoid good games because of hard achievements. Keep in mind that a year ago I would have called a post like this crazy myself, but interests change. Achievements were costing me my health and I never want to be down that road again. Plus, I game to have fun, and the achievement collecting teet ran dry (of fun).

As for the controller, 360 will always be my favorite controller, but I do like the DS3 A LOT more than I did a few months ago. Probably from increased use. I just can't buy Mercenaries 2 on the 360 after what I mentioned in the OP, although I guarantee I will buy that version down the road anyways, when I can for $20 or so. Til then, I'll have fun with my good buddy and not have to worry about renewing my xbox live.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sergeant Sega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FSK BigHurt
    PSN
    ChiefofNorway

I'm getting it for the Xbox 360, the fact that's it developed for the PS3 is a good thing, since PS3 ports to 360 runs waaay better that the other way around. Good example of this is Burnout Paradise.

Don't really like playing on my PS3, I don't know why, the console just don't rub me the right way somehow... It's got some to do with the pad, I like the heavier 360 pad, and I really don't like the moving thing you often have to put up with on the PS3 versions of the games, god damn I hate Lair and such

All your oil are belong to U.S.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grabbed the original on a whim for around $10 during some sort of sale and ended up completely loving it.

I'm just a little worried about the PS2 version. Hopefully Pandemic developed the 360/PS3/PC engine seperately.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Insert Coin (Level 0) lanemeyer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a game I will definately play. Maybe not immediately, but its in the queue. I played the first one for about 50-60 hours and loved it. Like GTA, but unlike GTA, they actually got both the on-foot controls and the driving controls dead-on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by fuchikoma View Post
    I'm just a little worried about the PS2 version. Hopefully Pandemic developed the 360/PS3/PC engine seperately.
    I just read an interview with the producer. He mentions that the PS2 version is a completely different game (and engine). It has different missions and story while keeping the same characters and location (Venezuela).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sergeant Sega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FSK BigHurt
    PSN
    ChiefofNorway

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I just read an interview with the producer. He mentions that the PS2 version is a completely different game (and engine). It has different missions and story while keeping the same characters and location (Venezuela).
    Really? Hmm... All of the sudden I need to buy both then, hehe... If it's another game I have to check out the PS2 version as well

All your oil are belong to U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Sega View Post
    Really? Hmm... All of the sudden I need to buy both then, hehe... If it's another game I have to check out the PS2 version as well
    Agreed... when I can find it cheap enough, that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Today is the day.

Just quickly scanning the internet, I see that IGN gave it a 7.9. Stating that the game is great fun, but has a mess of bugs and glitches. While I am against games releasing essentially "broken" in some ways, here's hoping it's nothing too bad/nothing that can't eventually be patched.

Looking forward to grabbing it in a few hours. The fun I have in open-world games usually negates any bugs or glitches I come across. In fact sometimes bugs and glitches can add to the experience (looking at Crackdown and GTA IV... though I don't know yet if that will be the case here :P).

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These were on sale at my local Wal-Mart this past Thursday. I noticed them and was tempted to pick it up, but I wanted a copy of Vesperia first. Apparently, the Gamestop across the street found out, sent an employee to make a purchase and reported them for breaking the street date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

After playing for a few hours, here's an early assessment:

- The game is not very heavy on story, nor does it need to be.

- It's not the most polished game in the world, but really I think a few shortcomings in this regard just come with the genre. It shines where important though: The gameplay. Solid framerate even when nukes are flying, and a crisp looking game, even if it isn't a big polygon pusher. There's no annoying filter like in GTA IV, and that's awesome.

- It's FUN. A very worthy addition to the genre (based on experience so far, limited as that is at the moment), and a huge reminder of why I love it in the first place. Where else can you get a monster truck with the ability to hydraulic jump? Unless you're playing Crackdown I don't know where else.

Waiting for my friend to hop online so I can test out the co-op play, but single is a blast so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It's a lot of fun so far. I've only put in 2 hours, but can already tell this game is going to be a blast. I'm a little worried that the game might be too short. 2 hours in and I'm already 17% complete.

As with all open-world games, I've encountered a few glitches already. A pretty annoying one was sliding into and merging with a bridge after I exited a vehicle during a mission. I couldn't do anything but take the bullets until I died. It's also annoying to get hung up on any and all plant life. In a predominantly jungle environment...this will get old.

Interesting that the 360 version already has an update to patch the repetitive NPC speech. I guess they took the criticism to heart.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been pretty surprised at the sort of reviews Mercs 2 has gotten too- the sort of criticisms IGN threw off made it sound like it was worth much more than a 7.9.

Mercs 1 averaged reviews of 8.4-8.6, and I really don't see how this game couldn't get atleast equal to that when it's obviously improved a good deal on the first one. For one, the environments in Mercs 1 were flat-out shitty. Nothing but huge expanses of barren fields and hillside, and "cities" that just consisted of several blocks of buildings. Mercs 2 seems vastly improved in that regard.

I'd still give the first one an 8.3-8.4. I was going to rush out and buy this game today, but reviews have been so slow to come out so far, so I don't know.

I'm definitely getting the PC version though. There'll hopefully mods to fix idiotic features like having invulnerable civilians.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I'll rent it and if it's really good, probably buy it for 360 (since I don't have or want a PS3).