Thread: PS3 controller synch issues? I have a solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default PS3 controller synch issues? I have a solution.

After much pissed off face and cussing I have finally found a solution to stop constant PS3 controller synch issues on a PERMANENT basis.

Here is what you do:

1).Have PS3 and all controllers turned OFF.

2).Hit the reset button pinhole in the back of every controller you own, reset them ALL.

3).Plug one controller up with usb and turn on PS3 WITH THE BUTTON on the CONSOLE, not the controller. You will notice that the controller will flash all four red lights (charging).

4).When PS3 boots to first screen turn on controller with usb cable still connected. You will notice that it will automatically synch without any flashing (it will recognize real quick). At this point that controller is set to that port for GOOD.

5).Unplug the controller from the usb, the controller will flash all four lights automatically then go to the solid color of the port it is using, this means you have done it right if all I have said happened exactly as stated.

6).Next synch all your other controllers one by one with the usb cable. Each controller needs to be set this way in case you play with multiple people. Assigning each controller initially will save headaches later, so assign each one to a different port ahead of time.

Now that you have all the PS3 controllers synched to a certain channel here is the stupid part. The stupid thing is that you have to power the PS3 on and off a specific way for it to ALWAYS keep the same synch.

Here is how:

1).ALWAYS turn the controller off by HITTING THE RESET button pinhole in the back of every controller in use EVERYTIME before you turn the PS3 OFF (this will make it keep the same synched channels). NEVER turn the PS3 off with the controller unless you want to have problems again.

2).Hold light on PS3 till it goes to red (not sure if it works with hard booting, haven't tried).

3).Always turn the PS3 on with any of the CONTROLLERS, if the controller turns it on then it is synching right.

Don't ever turn the PS3 off with the controller cause the first time you turn your PS3 off with a controller you will lose that EXACT synch and the problems will eventually start to rear their head again. I find this very amusing as it is Sony's own bluetooth that is causing the problems. I'm sure they could patch this to make it where the connectivity is more flexible and to me seems like a silly oversight. Hopefully this helped someone, cause I was having major issues and my controllers no longer lose synch.

If something I said doesn't make sense just ask and maybe I can word it differently. I'm just glad to finally have this crap ironed out. I'm sure a couple of steps can be skipped to make it easier (hitting the reset button might not be necessary EVERY time, but it has been working for me). Also i'm not sure all have to be resynched when one controller is used to turn off the system, but that's just the way I am doing it and the dang blasted things are FINALLY working ALL the time.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 08-17-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Wow.

I'm glad none of my PS3 controllers ever had sync issues.

I'd hate to have to use the reset pinhole for anything much less EVERY TIME I power down my PS3.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

This is the first time I've heard anything about sync issues with the PS3 controllers, but it's good to know I guess.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    This is the first time I've heard anything about sync issues with the PS3 controllers, but it's good to know I guess.
    I've had it once >< but after I just unplugged the system and put it back it fixed itself and never came back ;p

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to hear about it a lot, but I heard that the 80gigers and every one since have different antennas that keep things in sync better. That being said, I've got a 60gigger, and I've had no problems with controller sync.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least you don't have to get all Weird Science and wear things on your head.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Same here. I've never had a problem with my original Sixaxis or newer DS3. Not even once.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had aa sync issue after a firmware update.(60) The only way it was fixed was to let the battery die. Then it was back to normal. (I disassembeled the controller and disconnected the battery because I only had 1 controller and couldn't wait) When this happens it messes with your head. Is the system broke or the controller etc.
    Last edited by gepeto; 08-17-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    neo geo system