Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: PS3 Losing More Money Than PS2 Made

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    for the most part, the Wii is a game system. I doesn't play movies, it doesn't play music
    Oh yes it does!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    WOA there buddy...I think you think I'm atacking the PS3...which I'm not. I'm not defending the Wii either, I have my own personal set of compaints about that little guy...he's FAR from perfect adn as time goes on, I like it less and less. My Wii has sat dormant for months, I can't say the same about my PS3 which sees plenty of use.

I do stick with my split personality thing though...for the most part, the Wii is a game system. I doesn't play movies, it doesn't play music, it does little other than play games. The PS3 on the other hand is a media center and Sony is selling it as such. Sony knows that their bread is beingbuttered on many sides with thtis unit and other than just gaming...thus my split personality comment.
    It was just the "there's not 20 games worth owning" comment that I disagreed with, and even if my "off the top of my head" list was based solely around my personal taste, I think that the "average" PS3 owning consumer has in fact found some amount of games worth owning on the system.

I don't have numbers, but I bet the attach rate for the system is one or two games, and the average lifetime ownership of titles (to date) for most PS3 owners is probably more than 10 if you count PSN Store downloadable games as well as brick-and-mortar.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    www.vgchartz.com

Look up culmulative sales for PS2/XBox/GC up to the end of '03.
    End of 03? That's an extra *year* of sales you're including! Or, say, 45 million consoles you've conveniently added onto your total. To say nothing of including 02's holiday sales while not being able to add 08s in yet for obvious reasons.

Last time I checked, the last gen started in 00, this gen started in 06. If I wanted to get really smarmy I could start with the Dreamcast and count two years from there to see how sales compare between last gen and this gen...

I don't question your assertion that consumers will look elsewhere if they've been unhappy with a product. I do it myself. But the same things happen in every generation, and the consumer *always* has a choice in the end. You obviously feel like nothing this gen is worth purchasing and that's cool. But the sales are still there regardless, so not everybody shares your views.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    End of 03? That's an extra *year* of sales you're including! Or, say, 45 million consoles you've conveniently added onto your total. To say nothing of including 02's holiday sales while not being able to add 08s in yet for obvious reasons.

Last time I checked, the last gen started in 00, this gen started in 06. If I wanted to get really smarmy I could start with the Dreamcast and count two years from there to see how sales compare between last gen and this gen...
    This generation started with the Xbox360 in '05, giving an approximation of 3 years. Given without the '03 holiday sales put last gen above 70 million, the fact that 18 million units must be sold in the 4 months to beating last-gen will be a tall order. Will be interesting to see how the numbers at the end of the year will turn out.

On a side note, including Dreamcast units would have gone outside the Sony/MS/Nintendo de facto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    You obviously feel like nothing this gen is worth purchasing and that's cool. But the sales are still there regardless, so not everybody shares your views.
    You misunderstood. The Wii, the PS3, and the XBox 360 all have strong points that are weighed down in sales by their creators getting too ahead of themselves and as a result, mistakes were made deterring potential buyers. Namely the average consumer, who believe in getting their money's worth, make a good portion in purchases and growth for the industry. Without that, the industry relies on a small demographic group, repeating the same tragedy of the comic book industry in the 90's.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii, the PS3, and the XBox 360 all have strong points that are weighed down in sales by their creators getting too ahead of themselves
    Worldwide, the Wii has already outsold the GameCube and is very close to outselling the N64, if it hasn't already...and it's only been out for 21 months. Its sales aren't being weighed down by anything.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

This generation started with the Xbox360 in '05, giving an approximation of 3 years. Given without the '03 holiday sales put last gen above 70 million, the fact that 18 million units must be sold in the 4 months to beating last-gen will be a tall order. Will be interesting to see how the numbers at the end of the year will turn out.

On a side note, including Dreamcast units would have gone outside the Sony/MS.
    My bad - dunno what I was thinking with the 06 thing!

What likely has hurt sales so far this gen are the much talked about shortages of the Wii. Who knows how many machines they would have sold had they had continuous stock!

As far as the DC goes, it shouldn't matter that it was 'outside' Sony/MS/N. Sega was part of the cycle back then and the DC *was* the beginning of the next generation, so we really should look back to them (but I don't really care enough to look again )
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've been away for a while, but I see I had a ton of responses. I will try and reply to them all here, rather than one by one.

Perhaps I was too harsh when I said it will be a beautiful day once Sony exits the video game hardware business. I am sorry, I am just under the opinion that if you make consoles, you should have made arcade games first, like Nintendo, Atari, Sega, etc. Of course I don't want only Nintendo to be around. I would love it if Sega came back. I also think Capcom, Konami, and EA are extremely qualified to make consoles.

There are pleanty of PS3 games out there that are outstanding. I never meant to offend anyone, but I'm just very pro-first party, and once Sega left, it left just Nintendo. I won't be posting any more anti-Sony tirades here. It offended many friends, something I didn't want to do.