Thread: Xbox 360 BC compatability list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Default Xbox 360 BC compatability list

Well, I just recently bought Midtown Madness 3 for Xbox to play on my Xbox 360. Now, I assumed that a Microsoft game would be compatible with a Microsoft system. Well, I was a fool to assume I can't find any info on this so does anybody know if Microsoft has a list of games that will be compatible with the 360 in the future? Are they even still working on future compatibility? Thanks for the help
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...ygameslist.htm

That's the backwards compatibility list. However it is not too accurate because some games listed I couldn't play.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Well I just found the following article on kotaku.com:

http://kotaku.com/342937/xbox-360-ba...s-winding-down

I know it's several months old but it does show Microsoft's position on this issue. This generation of gaming is starting to really upset me. Microsoft COULD continue BC development without a relativity big expense. Bite the hand that fed you and helped you grow. All of the gaming big 3 have this same mentality. It's not about short term profit, it's about long term customer retention and long term profit. Being employed by GM (hmmm...notice my avatar) we have been plagued by lower quality, less features, and higher prices over the last few decades. Combine all this with not listening to the customer and what THEY want in a car and look where we are now! Nintendo, Sony, and Sega are going down this same road! They think that they own the world of gaming and that the customer does not matter in product development and support. The current mentality of gaming companies is that THEY will tell the customer what the customer want's and that same customer has no clue on what a good product is. This generation of the game industry is just like what the 70's was for the American auto industry.......
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Being employed by GM
    ...but for how long?

Hopefully for a long time, but you know...just saying.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I'm sure they'll put the game back up as an Original at some point. Mark my words, next generation we will see VERY limited backward compatibility if we see any at all. These days it's all about how to repackage and sell the old content. Why waste the development dollars for no future measurable profit generation when people will pay you for the same content again and again? Consumers have already proven that they will pay for it, so companies have no reason to give it to us for free anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    ...but for how long?

Hopefully for a long time, but you know...just saying.
    Lol, understand. I'm employed by a GM dealership but technically I work for GM. We can't do much without consulting them. We could technically survive if GM went under but it would be a long road. Got to stay positive

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I'm sure they'll put the game back up as an Original at some point. Mark my words, next generation we will see VERY limited backward compatibility if we see any at all. These days it's all about how to repackage and sell the old content. Why waste the development dollars for no future measurable profit generation when people will pay you for the same content again and again? Consumers have already proven that they will pay for it, so companies have no reason to give it to us for free anymore.
    True, but how long will the gaming consumer do that? People have less expendable income, piracy is becoming easier and more prominent, companies like Samsung & LG could eventually enter the gaming industry, etc. The big 3 better think differently or they will be fighting for their lives (or their gaming division lives in the case of Sony & Microsoft).

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Well I just found the following article on kotaku.com:

http://kotaku.com/342937/xbox-360-ba...s-winding-down

I know it's several months old but it does show Microsoft's position on this issue. This generation of gaming is starting to really upset me. Microsoft COULD continue BC development without a relativity big expense. Bite the hand that fed you and helped you grow. All of the gaming big 3 have this same mentality. It's not about short term profit, it's about long term customer retention and long term profit. Being employed by GM (hmmm...notice my avatar) we have been plagued by lower quality, less features, and higher prices over the last few decades. Combine all this with not listening to the customer and what THEY want in a car and look where we are now! Nintendo, Sony, and Sega are going down this same road! They think that they own the world of gaming and that the customer does not matter in product development and support. The current mentality of gaming companies is that THEY will tell the customer what the customer want's and that same customer has no clue on what a good product is. This generation of the game industry is just like what the 70's was for the American auto industry.......
    I agree with most of what you have said. Both MS and Sony are missing the big picture when making a system for their fanbase. I do have to say that Nintendo did an excellent job with the Wii with BC and even adding slots on the system for Gamecube controllers and memory cards. They have their own weaknesses, but of the three they have done the best fan service. BTW, their customer service is pretty good as well.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best for BC with a system. PS2 I don't think any other company can top that unless you make a system with an Atari 2600 port with a NES...SNES...64 Port, and a genesis port on the other side...I would buy that system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recall this topic being done over and over again. I personally heard the last xbox 360 bc update (last november 2007) was the very last bc update we were getting , microsoft had been warning us that bc development was going to get cut.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

BC is a feature, not a right. You buy something to work on a console that is current. Having it work on future hardware is a luxury, not a requirement for the vendor.

My NES games don't work on my SNES. You don't see me complaining about it.

I also drive a Toyota.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    BC is a feature, not a right.
    Lol...who said it was a right? Paging Mr. Straw Man. BC is a nice thing to have. That's all people are saying.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like BC because it means I don't have to have multiple consoles hooked up. Heck, I bought a 60GB PS3 just to not have to deal with it (as much) but the PS2 is still hooked up in the other room.

I just get irked when people presume that companies need to bend over backwards for the demands of a relatively small number of customers. The majority of gamers these days are playing the latest shiny title and could care less about their older games... sadly.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that

Now my viewpoint on this is from working in IT - I come across user/company problems on a daily basis where clients bought some software package or device years ago and are outraged it doesn't work on their newer equipment. I spend a lot of time explaining product support cycles to people who expect the moon for free that they're not going to get it. It's a bit of a sore point with me (I admit it) when I see someone so upset a $50 game doesn't work on their new system 5 years later. It's worse in my world, trust me.

If you want to play your old stuff, keep your old stuff around. I'd rather new generations cut free of the limitations of their older hardware (Like the WiiCube :P) and build something new and better from the ground up rather than constantly looking behind them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I like BC because it means I don't have to have multiple consoles hooked up. Heck, I bought a 60GB PS3 just to not have to deal with it (as much) but the PS2 is still hooked up in the other room.

I just get irked when people presume that companies need to bend over backwards for the demands of a relatively small number of customers. The majority of gamers these days are playing the latest shiny title and could care less about their older games... sadly.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that

Now my viewpoint on this is from working in IT - I come across user/company problems on a daily basis where clients bought some software package or device years ago and are outraged it doesn't work on their newer equipment. I spend a lot of time explaining product support cycles to people who expect the moon for free that they're not going to get it. It's a bit of a sore point with me (I admit it) when I see someone so upset a $50 game doesn't work on their new system 5 years later. It's worse in my world, trust me.

If you want to play your old stuff, keep your old stuff around. I'd rather new generations cut free of the limitations of their older hardware (Like the WiiCube :P) and build something new and better from the ground up rather than constantly looking behind them.
    If these companies want to survive in this market then they NEED to bend over backwards for their customers. The market is ripe for other companies (very rich companies) to enter the market and give the customer what they want. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are not untouchable and given the right competition they can lose market share at backbreaking speeds.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If these companies want to survive in this market then they NEED to bend over backwards for their customers. The market is ripe for other companies (very rich companies) to enter the market and give the customer what they want. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are not untouchable and given the right competition they can lose market share at backbreaking speeds.
    You seem to have missed the "needs of the many" part - BC isn't a dealbreaker for most people. You seem to want them to bend over for what YOU want more than what the majority of their customers want.

If they had a business case for offering full BC support every generation, they'd be all over it. But if it makes more sense to sell redone versions of old games (or do that download over Arcade/PSN/VC) they'll do that.

There's nothing stopping you from using your old systems to play your old games, as intended.

It's cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

You seem to have missed the "needs of the many" part - BC isn't a dealbreaker for most people. You seem to want them to bend over for what YOU want more than what the majority of their customers want.

If they had a business case for offering full BC support every generation, they'd be all over it. But if it makes more sense to sell redone versions of old games (or do that download over Arcade/PSN/VC) they'll do that.

There's nothing stopping you from using your old systems to play your old games, as intended.

It's cheaper!
    It's more than a few people that want BC. BC is bound to be ever more important as the years go on. The hot new games now will be the classics of the future and many gamers love the Playstation brand systems and will not want to have ALL FOUR of them out at once to play all the games. How about young gamers that started with PS3? They will need 2 systems out to play their favorite games? PS2 Rookie gamers will need the PS2, PS3, and PS4 to play all of their favorite games. This will become a big problem for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft in the future and will be the greatest thing to happen for Samsung, LG, or the like to come in and make customers happy.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I think this is more your fight than for "the customers" - play your game in your Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I think this is more your fight than for "the customers" - play your game in your Xbox.
    More my fight? I don't have an XBOX and having a couple of XBOX games that I can't play doesn't bug me (Midtown Madness 3 was $2.99 at Gamestop). I'm not necessarily fighting for the customer nor am I fighting for the game industry. I'm just pointing out that the Big 3 of the gaming industry are getting WAY to cocky and that it's going to be their downfall. To be honest, I love games from any system. I have no loyalty to any gaming company though. If Samsung, LG, or even a Chinese company like Lenovo made a game system better than Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft then I would buy it and leave the big three in the dust. Many people say that they are fans of Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft but they would jump ship if any of those companies screwed them enough times.

Pope Benedict XVI