Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Default Star Wars FU Demo....thoughts!

Did not see this topic started, so i will!

Downloaded this today and played it, very fun so far indeed!

Thoughts?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Very very nice graphics.

Quite challenging to get the hang of force gripping and hurling objects, and that appears to be the most important mechanic in the game.

I played for about a half hour and never felt like I had quite gotten it right.

If the rest of the game is as nice as the demo, probably one of the best Star Wars games in recent years.

I wasn't planning on buying this one, and I don't think the demo has changed my mind, but I'm impressed and I think that Star Wars fans will enjoy it.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-22-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So ... really, NOBODY else played this demo and/or has thoughts on it?

I thought this was the most highly anticipated Star Wars game this side of 1:1 lightsaber fighting on the Wii?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

overal I was impressed, generally I can't stand 3d action games (piss poor controls shitty cameras awfull fighting/lock on controlls etc etc) this game does suffer from the standard camer crap but since the fighting isn't all close up lock on style playing, it gets a few points in my book for that, the force grip fighting style is pretty inovative and just down right fun to play around with (tormenting stormtroopers is too much fun) the interaction with the world around you is definatly the best i've seen in a 3d game so far, you really felt like you were on a star ship the attention to detail was impresisve, (try throwing a droid out the window) I don't know how the full game will play out, but its definatly something I'll be keeping my eye on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I haven't played the demo yet. I have been looking forward to this, but I can't stop playing Old Bent Nose on the Bally Astrocade to download it yet.

-mike

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was kinda fun. The camera could be better, but my main problem with the targeting. Too often I'd try and target an enemy, only to target some object instead. It's a pain when there are a bunch of enemies shooting at you and you want to grab one of them, only to target an inanimate object.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I can't stand the "God of War/Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Heavenly Sword"-type games. This is another one of those games (complete with orbs being sucked into you after you kill enemies). That being said, the demo was fun. Part of my impression is biased because I'm a hard core SW fan and to some extent I've enjoyed every SW video game. Anyway, the force powers seem pretty cool (blowing open the doors was awesome) and your character is truly a bad ass. After getting my arse kicked by the Apprentice in SCIV countless times in Arcade Mode...I would expect nothing less.

One thing I noticed (and think will be a real problem as the game goes along and enemies get more difficult) is the targeting mechanic. It's obvious the developers intend for the player to use this "pick stuff up and throw it" mechanic to take out enemies/ obstacles. The problem is that it just doesn't work that well. In the demo, it's not really a big deal since laser fire bounces off your character. You're never in real danger. In the real game (in the later levels), I'm sure this won't be the case. There will be parts of the game that will require you to use the gimpy force powers on masses of enemies...and it won't work. I predict this game will get frustrating, fast. Also -1 for the NES-era "enemies spawn every time you turn around" thing going on. WTF is that?

Not sure about this one. I'll still probably pick it up, but then again....I bought Rogue Squadron 3 for $49.99 on release day. My love of SW tends to blind me at times.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Huge, Huge Star Wars fan...heck I even went and saw Clone Wars in the Theatre. I have almost every star wars game made for consoles, and this one is pretty good. I agree with the above things with the demo. Great graphics, decent gameplay, but I too got kind of annoyed about having all these great force powers...and it not really working out with helping me with gameplay. Again I am being extra harsh and overall enjoyed this game. As for Star Wars games, this one is very well done. The hype for this one was very high, so I guess in the end I was kind of let down on how standard it played. Heck even the AI was just so-so. My actual biggest gripe is with the momentary slowdown when attacking enemies. For me, that kind of took away from the combos that you can unleash. I give it a 8 out of 10
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I'll rent it for sure but not a buy. It seems like it'll be too repetitive and no much to play for it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm disappointed by the demo, it's a fun game for sure... but could have been so much better.

Camera is pretty good, but some problems.

Controls (ps3) could be better too....

Why is there no dismeberment?!

Really easy but I guess that's just the first level....
    Not a lot of force powers but hey they're the ones everyone use ;p
    WHY NO DISMEMBERMENT?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This game is on the N-Gage, but not PCs?

Gimme a break.

Oh well. I'm sure there's always the clearance bin DS version to get sometime down the road.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    I'm disappointed by the demo, it's a fun game for sure... but could have been so much better.

Camera is pretty good, but some problems.

Controls (ps3) could be better too....

Why is there no dismeberment?!

Really easy but I guess that's just the first level....
    Not a lot of force powers but hey they're the ones everyone use ;p
    WHY NO DISMEMBERMENT?!
    Because it's rated T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Sith Lord difficulty is the only way to play the game honestly as normal difficulty is just waaay too easy. There seem to be a key moves missing in the demo which I think will cripple some opinions as i'm sure they are unlocked later on.

The game is pretty polished but seems fairly shallow, seems like it will get old quick but will be really awesome the first time through. A definite rental.

Knights of the Old Republic it ain't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Two words; 'HELL YES'. I was looking forward to this to begin with but having actually played a demo I'm now salivating like there's no tomorrow. Hurling a stormtrooper out a window? Fantastic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was pretty much what I was expecting. If you can master the controls it will be pretty sweet, but that will take a lot of time (at least for me). In the end I just clunked my way through it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I tried it out last night. Not bad but not great either. The Force Grip reminded me a lot of Psi-Ops so I didn't have much of a problem tossing things around right away. Beyond that it kinda felt like an FPS-less version of either Jedi Academy or Jedi Outcast. I'll agree with others that it looks like its going to be a gorgeous game but it just felt like I played this before.

Starkiller also felt a bit weak in melee-is his saber a Nerf sword? For a weapon that can cut through metal, how come it takes a few hits to take down a target, rebel or Imperial? Even in the aforementioned Jedi games, Kyle Katarn's (or a Jedi student's) lightsaber usually made quick work out of whatever sword-fodder stood before him. What's Starkiller's excuse? Speaking of his abilities, how come when you hold block you can repel weapons fire from any direction but you still get hit when someone comes up and whallops you with a rifle or rod? Do I have to press the block again to "reset" or what?

All in all I'll probably rent it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

I think it definitely feels like Star Wars. The AT-ST coming out of the elevator was like...whoa...I gotta' take that down with a light saber?

Then the stock photo of the Star Destoyer being taken out (presumably using the force).

I like some of the visuals from the rest of the game at the end of the demo.

Gameplay was good, not great. Tossing objects with the force has a learning curve, but might be OK. Yeah too easy though. Jumping at the wrong places was the most dangerous part of the demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wait until people figure out how to cancel break or whatever.

An example of that is an online MMOFPS called Gunz. It is a game that is now owned by ijji. One of the styles of play is called K-Style, and it is people with swords.

What they do is during one motion, they will slice with their sword, then block, and then if you do it fast, you can dash forward or jump again. I have seen people literally fly in that game because they can cancel so well.

This game definately seems like it has that kind of potential, and I want to figure it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A rental I think...not worth 60 bucks unless you are a huge SW fan or collector.

As a child of the 80s...I can't resist any chance to "be a part" of that universe. But, when you boil the gameplay down, it does seem to be a somewhat clumsy God of War clone...right down to the QTE battle with the At-ST.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i liked the gameplay, it has potential to be frustrating but the graphics are beautiful and kept me enthralled. to be honest im super crazy bent on learning the story behind the apprentice and the plot of hte game, i wish to beat it simply to know the story. and to me, that means teh game is good. it shouldnt always be by the numbers (camera,skills,graphics etc).