Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Default Backing up older gameboy gbc gba save files on newer computers

A friend of mine just lost his save file on his copy of pokemon crystal that had pretty much everything legit along with 8 shiny pokemon (again legit) and both of us are a little frightened to see some of our other saves die (dragon warrior 3 gbc with all the silver and most of the gold medals for example!) anyways, i have some of those old shitty brainboy things that can back them up, but no way to get them to another device, so yeah..no good there, I also have a device that can alegedly backup gbc ps1 and dc saves, but requires a serial cable (which my computer doesn't have a port)

so what i'm asking is there an afordable way to backup these cartidges on newer hardware before the batteries eventualy fail?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SOL, unless you make the device yourself....which defeats many purposes in life, I'm afraid.

I have one of those old purple GBXpress or whatever they are called devices that use a parallel port, and I believe those do the trick, but those are ancient too. Probably the most common GB backup device, though.

Perhaps get a GBA flash cart and GB Bridge? I think that would allow you to back them up pretty easily, but I'm a little rusty on this knowledge.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

They're actually not too hard to make if you can follow schematics and solder. I can send you some links if you like. I built one myself that I need to get up and running again. It's for copying and writing the entire rom but I'm pretty sure it will save the ram too, which is the the save data.

It takes about 8 chips I think, a pre drilled prototyping circuit board, wire, a few other odds and ends, and a parallel port cable. Should be able to be made for under $20.

I'd say that you could send me your games and I could back them up for you, but you'd have to send them back again if the battery dies(which would need to be replaced too). So your best bet is to buy or build your own. Or just take your chances...some of the batteries in games have been going strong for 20+ years now.

EDIT - By the way. A lot of GBA games use flash memory to save your game so they shouldn't have the same problem.
    Last edited by jb143; 08-28-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...