ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire VGA remake available now

Sunday, this group AGD Interactive released their VGA remake of Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire.

I had actually recently just completed the QFG1 VGA remake and then started on the EGA version of two, and...kind of didn't like it. Going through all the mazes, typing out all the dialogue, etc. - it's just too cumbersome in light of the improvements to the rest of the games.

This (FREE) VGA remake is quite awesome. It takes some of the best elements of the other games in the series, including the mouse-driven menus, and incorporates them into QFG2...the combat is much more arcade-like and strategic, with countermoves and whatnot. The foes also have a lot more moves to use against you - like the terrorsaurus rex grabbing you in his mouth and thrashing you around! The street names are also displayed on the "walk" arrow for your mouse pointer, making it way easier to get around town.

And, if that's not easy enough, they have this new simplified street system that isn't maze-like at all.

Oh, and I suppose I should mention that the graphics have received a complete overhaul, with lots of added flavor, especially on those boring alleyways - which are now open to the air and have debris and other merchants and whatnot around.

There are also loads of other easter eggs - I've seen the Prince of Persia in the alleyways, there's a "saurus repair shop," and a bunch of other stuff. The rest of the game plays just like the classic one did, only better. Way better.

Any fans of the old game should go download this NOW - it's completely free and works on any Windows system (I think they even support 95). You can import characters from QFG1 and export for QFG3. There's no reason not to play this amazing classic.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

DO IT NOW!

I actually have to get to bed here; been playing this too much tonight already.
    Last edited by calthaer; 08-25-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for posting this, many fond memories of playing this on a "VGA monochrome" monitor....black, white, and 254 shades of grey!! Actually, I did have the chance afterwards to play on a color monitor, but it'll be interesting to see the remake of the game. QFG was always my favorite Sierra offering, followed closely of course by King's Quest, and Space Quest series. Now, it's almost done downloading, so I'm off to save the world! Or, at least, deal with the Emir.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quest for Glory II was an awesome game despite the flaws you mentioned- I enjoyed playing through it quite a bit. That said, this remake is probably pretty awesome, so I'm gonna download it. Much appreciation to the people who made this- saints, they are!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

oh wow... a favorite PC series. I played the 1 VGA remake eons ago - but will have to redo and then go to 2 in this case. Are they going to go through all of them you think? 'Cause - #5 was badass and if they could spruce that up (I realize it was vga but... it could use loading time help, heh) I'd be in heaven.

2 was ok - I never got into the arabian/desert theme. Then again "Desert levels" tend to be my least favorite. *glares at Diablo 2*
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'll have to check this out.

I have the VGA versions of Quest for Glory 1-4 for the PC and the original 16 color Heroes Quest (Quest for Glory 1) for my Atari ST.

I LOVED the first game as a kid but I could never get into the others. I didn't like the Arabian Nights feel that the sequels had. I would have rather them stick to the fantasy feeling of the first one.

But I'll have to give this remake a shot.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It's funny so many people didn't care for Quest for Glory II's Arabian setting as despite it's graphical limitations it was always my favorite. I've been waiting out this remake for god, years now, and a friend recently told me it was finally finished. Can't wait to start playing it this weekend. (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

iirc the streets thing was meant as copy protection. You had to use the map that came with the game... or write down a list of directions.

Was neat, but FREAKING ANNOYING.

Dial-a-pirate was way better

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Have been playing this off and on since release, and I have to say that this is by far the best QFG experience I've ever played. The combat has all sorts of combos - and I haven't even tried the thief and mage classes yet. But the combat is just amazing...it's so satisfying to parry an attack with your shield and then bring up your sword for a right-hook to cut out your opponent's heart - or to duck under their swing and then bring your sword in for an "uppercut."

Of course, the skullcrusher move (fighter-only) is simply amazing, but only useful against a few of the more difficult foes.

There are loads of easter eggs in the game, including an extremely cool one that I've read about but haven't been able to find yet (involving a "secret" elemental!).

There are a few secret fights with brigands in the alleyways of Shapeir, there's a "Saurus Repair Shop", and bunches of other goodies.

I'm completely enthralled.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?