Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Rumored To Be Making Halo 4 On "Next" Xbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gearbox Rumored To Be Making Halo 4 On "Next" Xbox

Yup, it says it right up there---"rumored". Since Bungie is definitely working on another Halo game I would have figured it to be the next numbered game in the series. But maybe it will be Gearbox: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...gearbox/?biz=1

I think Gearbox has been one of the better developers of the past few years and I'm really looking forward to playing Aliens: Colonel Marines when it comes out. As for Halo 4, I know this is just a rumor but if it turned out to be true I would feel pretty secure in knowing that Gearbox was making it. Just not as secure as I'd feel if Bungie made it
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 08-26-2008 at 09:31 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gearbox is spotty, but it has potential. Their ports are pretty lacking, but their original games tend to be good (Earned in Blood notwithstanding). I'm really looking forward to their new Colonial Marines, Borderlands is looking pretty good, and Hell's Highway may actually pan out pretty well too....so count my hopes up.

btw, if you preorder Hell's Highway on Steam then you get Road to Hill 30 for free. Road to Hill 30 was fucking excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I think the most disturbing aspect of this story is the talk of a new Xbox already. We can discuss past console generation length until we're blue in the face. The simple fact is IT IS WAY TOO SOON to be discussing such bullshit.

If Microsoft announces a new Xbox for 2010, I'm buying the PS3 version of every cross-platform title from there on out. Fuck 'em. Limiting each console to a 5 year cycle is ridiculous at this point with our current technology.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I think the most disturbing aspect of this story is the talk of a new Xbox already.
    I agree and I think they set a dangerous precedent with the extremely limited life cycle of the Xbox. An engineered 5 year life cycle? Fuck. It's one thing if it was a result of the market just not accepting the console for whatever reason (Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar, etc), but when you've got a hot as shit console and you just kill it off to roll out the next one...well, that's just some shady shit.

Now if it's 100% backwards compatible, that's a bit of a different story. Not saying I can get completely behind the approach because it veers a bit too closely to the PC graphics card market for my tastes (which I'm a slave to, btw), but it's better than what they did with the Xbox 360 in relation to the Xbox.

But hey, let's just hope the PC port of Halo 4 doesn't suck and doesn't take 3 years to come out. Nothing more pathetic than seeing a bare bones port of a 3 year old game getting peddled for full price alongside the latest and greatest cutting edge games while the original version of the same title can be picked up for $20/new at the most (see also: PC ports of Halo and Halo 2).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the most disturbing aspect of this story is the talk of a new Xbox already.
    Good point. I forgot to add that to the title.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind that design of the next generation's consoles takes quite some time - generally most companies (Specifically MS and Sony - can't speak for the Wii's development process) begin the planning and design of the next level of hardware shortly after the launch of the previous generation.
    Mostly Harmless

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the most disturbing aspect of this story is the talk of a new Xbox already. We can discuss past console generation length until we're blue in the face. The simple fact is IT IS WAY TOO SOON to be discussing such bullshit.

I agree. I still haven't gone through all the games I want to play for the original xbox yet. But Microsoft does what Microsoft wants.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Back to the original topic, I thought Halo as an FPS was going to be a trilogy only, and all future Halo games were going to be something else (like RTS for example). Anybody else recall that?

As far as the next Xbox goes, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I agree with the longevity sentiments though - you can be sure it'll impact my next purchasing decision.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There has been talk of PS4 too, why is it so shocking there is talk of Xbox 720?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    There has been talk of PS4 too, why is it so shocking there is talk of Xbox 720?
    It's not shocking or unexpected...just too damn soon. Especially when technology isn't even close to significantly improving graphics/AI/sound/storage capacity. MS just wants their 100% downloadable game/movie machine on the market. The 360 as it's currently engineered (or the internet for that matter) can't do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good news I think, I've been impressed with all of Gearbox's work besides the portable versions of their Brothers in Arms titles. Their Half-Life work and Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood are some of my favorite titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If Microsoft announces a new Xbox for 2010, I'm buying the PS3 version of every cross-platform title from there on out. Fuck 'em. Limiting each console to a 5 year cycle is ridiculous at this point with our current technology.
    You are of course aware that the current lifecycle of technology is getting smaller and smaller as progression is exponentially greater. In other words - change be quick as hell, yo.

Five years in the PC world is like 10 generations of technology. It marches on.

I look at it this way - I can run to catch up if I want to, or sit back to enjoy the generation long past its time in the sun.

As the immortal saying goes:

"I like NES."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I think it is earlier, but needed. There is just not enough space on a standard DVD anymore (Lost Odyssey came on 4 discs I believe). They really hurt themselves with that. They also have to do something more with storage. Their drives are too small for what they are planning. Heck my DVR is bigger and I can't keep that from filling up, espeacially because of HD content. I think they will be challenged to keep up with the PS3 in some functions (like DVR).

I hope Solid State Drives are cheap enough by 2010 that they can include a large one of those instead.

Graphically I think we will have honest 1080p content, maybe some Physics processing (whose CPU's and GPU's will they choose?), and maybe some video processing with an all in one device approach.

Yeah no one wants to spend a ton on another system, but they need to keep up with the times. I read yesterday that the PS3 outsold the 360 in the month (March?) GTA IV was launched, which should not have happened with a system selling game like that. Lagging hardware sales these days lead to either console revisions or new consoles (or handhelds); PSP-3000 for example, or DS Lite, etc.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    and I'm really looking forward to playing Aliens: Colonel Marines when it comes out.
    I really hope somebody in the development team played AVP 2. AVP 2 is 8 years old now but there are still people playing it and for good reason. Definitely my favourite FPS and favourite online multiplayer game of all time \o/
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I think it is earlier, but needed. There is just not enough space on a standard DVD anymore (Lost Odyssey came on 4 discs I believe).
    What other games come on even more than 1 disc right now though? Lost Odyssey is like that because of all of the cut-scenes I'm sure.

I own about a dozen games and not one of them comes on multiple discs. Needing the extra space, at least right now, seems a stretch at best.

Besides, I thought I heard the next gen will likely hit closer to 2012 rather than 2010.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Besides, I thought I heard the next gen will likely hit closer to 2012 rather than 2010.
    2011 or 2012 would be fine. 2010 is too soon IMO.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

technology will stop advancing so rapidly when people stop buying it so rapidly... so if you really think it's too soon for another round of new consoles already, just stop buying them as soon as they come out, and they'll stop making them so fast... nobody says you have to buy it just because it exists

oh, but you want to play all the latest games... well here's an easy solution, just buy them for the PC, and never have to worry about buying another new console again... if they don't make it for the PC, just assume that it isn't really worth playing... cause if it was, there would definitely be a PC version!

I've survived like this ever since the Dreamcast died, and I really haven't missed that much, other than standard Mario shovelware from Nintendo... which really doesn't matter to me, cause I'm 40 years old, not 4 years old... yeah, I missed a few that really hurt, but so what? I still have plenty to play

meanwhile, I've been playing tons of excusives that never got released on any of the consoles... and I've only had to do one round of major upgrades so far, which amounted to far less of an investment than buying 3 new consoles every 5 years... plus I usually only pay $20 apiece for new games!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

here is how I look at it. MS dropping the xbox premature was bad for them. While they saved money, they lost PR with all the loyal followers who were out cold with an outdated system that was not even supported that well when the 360 came out.

I think that if MS wants to come out with either a new console in a year or two AND still support the 360 that is fine. It is not that I would have a problem with a new console, I worry that they would jump ship way too soon.

As for the trend of having a console coming out every 5 years is crap. I am far from being a Sony fanboy, but one thing that company has done very well is console support for both the PS2 and PS1. The PS2 has been on the retail space for over 8 years, and the PS1 had like 9 years of active retail space.

MS needs to focus on getting the 360 cheaper, and better, not focusing on another console. For people to want to care about another console for MS, they are going to have to care about the 360. If they dont watch it, they will piss off customers like Sega did by always coming up with new hardware with limited console support.

There is no reason why there could not be HALO 4 on the 360....Halo 3 could have been much better, and graphics was not its problem.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post

oh, but you want to play all the latest games... well here's an easy solution, just buy them for the PC, and never have to worry about buying another new console again... if they don't make it for the PC, just assume that it isn't really worth playing... cause if it was, there would definitely be a PC version!

I've survived like this ever since the Dreamcast died, and I really haven't missed that much, other than standard Mario shovelware from Nintendo... which really doesn't matter to me, cause I'm 40 years old, not 4 years old... yeah, I missed a few that really hurt, but so what? I still have plenty to play

meanwhile, I've been playing tons of excusives that never got released on any of the consoles... and I've only had to do one round of major upgrades so far, which amounted to far less of an investment than buying 3 new consoles every 5 years... plus I usually only pay $20 apiece for new games!
    Yeah, who cares if you miss out on Mario Galaxy or Katamari Damacy--I've got a trunk full of $20 FPS and RTS games! Cause I'm 40, not 4, and that's what 40 year olds like to play! And I have to sit in front of a computer screen to play them! Who needs kicking it on the couch? Seriously, I don't think I could disagree more with the above opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I buy RTS games for the PC and that's about it. I favor consoles for everything else. To each their own.