Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Is there any danger in this?

Okay, so I'm getting a Twin Famicom and I know the plug will work in American outlets for a while until I have to unplug it to make sure it doesn't burn out. The problem is that even if the guy is selling it with a 100 volt AC adapter, but it's not an official one, it's made by Sony.

Would this fry my system after extended use, or am I just better off getting an AC adapter from an original Famicom? (Are they even compatible?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Okay, so I'm getting a Twin Famicom and I know the plug will work in American outlets for a while until I have to unplug it to make sure it doesn't burn out. The problem is that even if the guy is selling it with a 100 volt AC adapter, but it's not an official one, it's made by Sony.

Would this fry my system after extended use, or am I just better off getting an AC adapter from an original Famicom? (Are they even compatible?)
    To find out if it's compatible, we'd need a little more info. What kind of voltage, etc. would the plug output? This is usually on the sticker on the large box at the "wall-plug-end" of the wire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

if you need a step down transformer to run it on us voltage correctly pm me i have an extra i would trade/sell.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    To find out if it's compatible, we'd need a little more info. What kind of voltage, etc. would the plug output? This is usually on the sticker on the large box at the "wall-plug-end" of the wire.
    If it outputs the same as the official adapter but is switchable n the input you'd be better off. There's no worries at all with a switchable power supply (as long as the output power is correct).

I think the danger of burning out an adapter is overstated for Japan --> US consoles anyway. With something like a Twin Fami, what's the absolute worst that can happen? You have to buy a new adapter. It's not going to fry the system or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    With something like a Twin Fami, what's the absolute worst that can happen? You have to buy a new adapter. It's not going to fry the system or something.
    Well the absolute worse is if by some messed up chance he gets an adapter with an opposite polarity than the one the twin requires. That would definitely fry the system. Other then that there isn't much danger at all with taking a 100v adapter from japan and plugging it into a US socket. Also I thought step-down converters were used for outputs coming from Europe type areas where 240v is the norm there........