Thread: Was this a good buy on an astrocade

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Was this a good buy on an astrocade

I won this on ebay today. Came to 75$ and I'm happy with it because I've been looking for one for a while now and it goes great with my already decent sized(imo) astrocade stack. How ever I wanted to see what every one thought.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120297733847

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

If it works, then I'd say you got a pretty good deal. The box sounds like it's in good condition, you've got all four controllers and a decent set of games. If all four controllers work well you can have a fun game of checkmate. If I recall correctly, Solar Conqueror and Cosmic Raiders aren't super easy to come by. Tiny anal collector's bummer about the duplicate numbering of the controllers, (indicating set was pieced together by taking controllers from another set), but I wouldn't sweat it especially if you're in it for the games.

If it doesn't work, you can probably get all of your money back and then some by selling the controllers and the carts separately. So, good job.

Watch out for overheating. Never play the Pro Arcade on a carpet. I play mine on an inverted milk carton so there's plenty of air on all sides of it. (I've even gone so far as removing the top part of the case, but that's probably overkill.) Keep it cool, keep it living.

There recently (in the last two years or so) was a guy who sold a multi-cart for the Astrocade, unfortunately his name escapes me. (it isn't Ward Shrake, that's the other guy who made an Astrocade multi.) If you're interested in a multi for it keep your eyes open as he was selling them on ePay when I got mine.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually got to wondering if the box was for that system. The box shows a red label and the system is white but I have no idea on astrocade boxes. The box just a nice extra no matter what shape it is. Cosmic is an R8, dog patch is an R7, pirate's chase an r7, and solar is an r7 but all games are r5 or above so that doesn't mean that much. The controllers don't bother me right now but I'll get 3 and 4 eventually.

Wow, didn't know the over heating problem thanks I'll defiantly keep that in mind.

As far as a multi-cart I wouldn't mind picking one up but I already have about half the library and hope to get the rest sometime in the next year or so.

Thanks for the info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Looks like the box is for an older version of the console, whereas the unit itself was a later release. Still, nice to have a box.

It doesn't look like too bad of a deal, especially if it works. I wasn't aware that Dogpatch was so rare, either. Oooh, I have a rare game!

So far, Incredible Wizard is the best game I have. And it's totally worth getting the machine for, if you're a big fan of the Wizard of Wor port on the 2600.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

They definitely overheat and die, easily. My original Astrocade gave up after 4 hours at the first OVGE in 2003. I was lucky enough to find another one, though not as in good of shape as the original one.
    Last edited by icbrkr; 08-31-2008 at 11:25 AM.