Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to upgrade or not upgrade

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...or get the MGS4 combo if you can find it at a walmart or something. It is an awesome deal with the 80gb backwards compatible system, the best game and rumble controller. I don't know what people are talking about when they say the 80gb is not good for PS2 games because I have not had ANY problems at all with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always wait - and this is a personal preference thing - until I can buy a console for $200 used. The reasoning for this is I just have so many older games to finish that the need to upgrade just isn't high on my list.

By the time I get threw my backlog of PC, Wii, PS2 RPGs, 360, and classic games I've been working on finishing year after year, the PS3 used game sales will be at a point where I can just jump in.

I really want Blu-Ray though. That is such a selling point for me right now that really it's more for the movies then the games that I want a PS3.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd say go for a 60 gig because you'll be able to upscale all your PS2 games on an HDTV. I play PS2 and PS3 games on mine and its my standalone PS2s that are collecting dust. PS3 also has a few great downloadable games and if you have a PSP, you can grab demos and full games for that as well.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    ...or get the MGS4 combo if you can find it at a walmart or something. It is an awesome deal with the 80gb backwards compatible system, the best game and rumble controller. I don't know what people are talking about when they say the 80gb is not good for PS2 games because I have not had ANY problems at all with it.
    nah the 80gb model only has like 60% perfect emulation w/ ps2 games. its pretty much all the popular games, but still there a lot that dont work well or at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    If you have the cash I would say to do it. The PS3 is a *great* system that already has some great titles (including some very cool downloadable content), and it is pretty much a guarantee that you will want it in the not too distant future when more and more "must haves" are released. The system is a baby right now....with a good decade of fun to come. And, it'll play most of the ps2 games you currently own already (or all of them if you can find the good ol' 60GB unit). I can't see any negative in grabbing one....aside from not having the extra cash to do so!
    This makes no sense. If it's currently a great system that already has some great titles and will still be desirable in the near future when more "must haves" are released, will it still not be just as desirable and a heckuva lot cheaper five years from now when Mr. Debian has finished with all his PS2 games?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

If you can find a 60gig or 20gig system for a good price, I would go for it. You can always install a bigger HDD.

If not, I don't see enough of a library on the PS3 to truely justify it . Now if you are looking for a good blu-ray player, go for it.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy a PS3 years later when its way cheaper.
    I bought a PS2 last year when their price dropped below $100 in Japan new (I got a white one too, not some ugly black one).

Buy later = get better revision = no hardware problems.