Thread: SNES - Power LED comes on, but that's it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES - Power LED comes on, but that's it

I've dug my SNES out of the closet for the first time in about a year.

If I put a game in and turn the power switch on, the power LED comes on. There may be a picture, maybe not. Sometimes the screen turns black, sometimes the game works, and sometimes the screen will do nothing at all. If I frig with it enough, the game may turn on. Inserting and removing the cartridge a few times seems to help.

The AV cables work with my gamecube. The AC adapter is the original one that came with the system. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I've dug my SNES out of the closet for the first time in about a year.

If I put a game in and turn the power switch on, the power LED comes on. There may be a picture, maybe not. Sometimes the screen turns black, sometimes the game works, and sometimes the screen will do nothing at all. If I frig with it enough, the game may turn on. Inserting and removing the cartridge a few times seems to help.

The AV cables work with my gamecube. The AC adapter is the original one that came with the system. Does anyone have any ideas?
    oh come on :P i think the problem is kinda obvious, the cart slot just needs a good cleaning. ive had snes systems like that before you just need to clean the slot and the carts
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    oh come on :P i think the problem is kinda obvious, the cart slot just needs a good cleaning. ive had snes systems like that before you just need to clean the slot and the carts
    That's what I had thought, but would that stop the SNES from outputting video? Sometimes when you turn it on the screen doesn't change at all.

edit: I just cleaned my SNES's cart connectors using the credit card / tshirt method. There was no gunk whatsoever, I cleaned it pretty well though. It made no difference. I forgot to add, even when it works, when the SNES is working if you move it or basically touch it, it'll crash or reset.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-02-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    That's what I had thought, but would that stop the SNES from outputting video? Sometimes when you turn it on the screen doesn't change at all.

edit: I just cleaned my SNES's cart connectors using the credit card / tshirt method. There was no gunk whatsoever, I cleaned it pretty well though. It made no difference. I forgot to add, even when it works, when the SNES is working if you move it or basically touch it, it'll crash or reset.
    that's odd... if you still cant get it working i can fix it for you, i have a flashcart that i can run the testcart rom on and a spare snes motherboard and other parts (also have proper tools for the security screws)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can garante you it's the cartslot/game contacts..

Just clean both the cart slot and games themselves. Both need a good cleaning.. Proof of this, is if you slightly (like a hair) pull the cartridge out a little but still in socket, games work good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I can garante you it's the cartslot/game contacts..

Just clean both the cart slot and games themselves. Both need a good cleaning.. Proof of this, is if you slightly (like a hair) pull the cartridge out a little but still in socket, games work good.
    try using alcohol too, that will loosen up and clear off alot more dirt/whatever than just cleaning it with something dry. also, it evaporates fairly quickly and will not hurt the system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking you guys are right.

I cleaned it a few times last night using a credit card/tshirt and it worked a little better. Not perfect by any means, but I had to frig with games less. Some even turned on with the first try. Also, when I pulled them out just a hair they worked better. Although, and this is weird, when I tried Super Mario All Stars, it gave me some warning about it being illegal to play pirated games. Weird. I took a pic of this and will post it eventually.

Tonight I'm going to try some alcohol and I'll give all my games another good cleaning. I didn't realize that a dirty SNES could prevent the system from outputting its video signal, I just thought it would output crap instead.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-03-2008 at 11:19 AM.