Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

RE: The AVGN 2600 video, it's just a joke. He does that on purpose, just watch it as a comedy video - don't take the guy seriously. I actually liked the 2600 video because it was pretty stupid... I found it to be almost a parody of how "modern" gamers would see such a system.

(For the record, I didn't get to play a 2600 back in the day because I was a baby. I started to play on a NES and aren't into the Atari systems but I still respect them, aheh.)

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    The video game videos on youtube that I do enjoy are the walkthrough/speed-run solution videos, with straight-up playing and NO talking or cutting away to the person playing it. I get a thrill from watching someone going all the way through the NES Rygar and SMS R-Type and Wonderboy III without taking a single hit.
    And here I disagree with you. While I LIKE watching these videos, speed runs bore me because they're so -perfect-! I like to watch people play like a normal person would, not as a machine. But that's just me, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    RE: The AVGN 2600 video, it's just a joke. He does that on purpose, just watch it as a comedy video - don't take the guy seriously. I actually liked the 2600 video because it was pretty stupid... I found it to be almost a parody of how "modern" gamers would see such a system.

(For the record, I didn't get to play a 2600 back in the day because I was a baby. I started to play on a NES and aren't into the Atari systems but I still respect them, aheh.)
    Isn't it the 5200?

Anyway, you are right. I never take videos to heart. If I did, I would have hated him for Batman ROTJ. I just laught and think back at the times that happened to me.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

What k8track and GAC said.

As I've said before, SpoonyOne is one of the few that pulls the game review vlog well because 1. he picks games that no one else covers (Dirty Dancing Official PC game anyone?); 2. he's articulate (ie. he has good vocabulary and he can speak in front of a camera); 3. even though he does the "angry geek" schtick, he doesn't overdo it; 4. and even though he does swear in his reviews, he also uses other words.

www.youtube.com/user/spoonyone
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 09-03-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn Lady Jaye beat me to it. Spoony One is the best. His latest review about 3DO demolition man was FANTASTIC. I also like the fact his video lengths are out of the mainstream. Most others seem to have three to five minute reviews. Spoony's go on for 20 or 30 minutes, and their great throughout. On top of that, unlike a lot of youtube reviewers he actually seems to prepare and put some thought into it.

Someone above mentioned that they don't want to see "cut to the reviewer" scenes. I actually like these. Maybe it's because it's nice putting a face to the voice, or maybe it's because most video game reviewers do not do this and also suck. Not a causation thing, merely a correlation.

edit: Here is a link to spoony's revver account - he actually gets a few cents if someone watches a revver video (instead of youtube from which he gets nothing) - http://www.revver.com/u/SpoonyOne/

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Spoony IS the guy that made me want to go into reviewing stuff. I love his videos... I refuse to watch a few of 'em though, I haven't beaten Fox Hunt or Johnny Mnemonic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Thanks for the heads up about his revver account, I'll certainly encourage him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    By the way, those videos might as well not exist, now that I'm actually in school, so consider their existence to be a bonus.
    I think everyone here would be happier if they didn't exist. Bonus? lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well an example of video game stuff I like to watch is not speedruns, but stuff where somebody busts their @$$ to do one thing in a game.

There are a bunch of videos from chilastra (the star wars server i play on) where I frapped a bunch of stuff that people did in space.

Basically, I want to watch a video that captures what it is like to play a game. It doesn't need to be from start to finish, but just a good moment in the game, and honestly, those videos are not easy to find.

It is all either people doing stuff perfect, or random people cussing when they play games.

Give me, even if it is small, a memorable moment in the game, that is all I ask for. if the most memorable moment is a bad one, show it, and show why it is so difficult. AVGN is able to do that if you ignore his cussing. Some of the other imitators just cuss alot and think it is awesome.

And as for the funniest comedians not cussing, sorry, I disagree. Richard Prior is a comedic genius and he cusses like crazy. It is all based on the person themselves. Bill Cosby is an excellent comedian, and he would never cuss. Bob Saget cusses like crazy. Robin Williams cusses every once in awhile. There is nothing wrong with cussing as long as your jokes are funny. If your jokes are not funny, being stupid and using cuss words will not help you. A perfect example is Richard Prior. If you edited all of his cuss words with "p.c." words, you would still laugh like crazy. Think about some of these reviews when you do that same thing:
    "This game is worse than rhino poop and makes me want to put my head up a elephants bum and smell the poop." Uh, not all that great. Besides, South Park is better with their fart and poop jokes, watch that show if you are looking for that, because, whether you like the show or not, South Park is very good and executing poop and fart jokes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, I knew the 5200 (I think that's what you meant) video was just a joke and not to be taken seriously, but it still enraged me nonetheless; I did not find it at all funny. It just really, really bugged the snot out of me. I found it really... cheap.

Cool. You represent the type of gamer I like; not everyone was born right at the beginning of the video game era, and you gotta start somewhere, and that's cool, especially if you have a high regard and respect for things before your time (for example, I'm obsessed with tons of things that were around decades before I was born). What rubs me the wrong way is when younger people (not all, mind you) automatically thumb their nose at the older systems and games that were around before they were born. Such people regard older games as kitschy at best, or horrible and primitive at worst, because they are outside their frame of reference and experience. As for myself, I personally don't care for most latest-generation games because they are far too lifelike; I want my games to look like video games, not real life. It always makes me cringe when I hear about little kids, having been raised on PS3 and Xbox 360, complaining about the "bad graphics" of older systems.

And here I disagree with you. While I LIKE watching these videos, speed runs bore me because they're so -perfect-! I like to watch people play like a normal person would, not as a machine. But that's just me, though.
    Well, actually, we don't disagree all that much; I really just like seeing them played all the way through to learn how to do it and what the later stages look like. I wouldn't mind if they died a few times along the way. I was just sort of amazed at how perfect they did it without dying (then again, they COULD be spliced together from various save states). I know that I would be hit and die a million times myself.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hey

Ignore.
    Last edited by alexander4488; 10-20-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Reason fixed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hey

Ignore.
    Last edited by alexander4488; 10-20-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Reason fixed.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD AND REOPEN MY NEW ONE. I had everything organized. The old one is messy and I can't edit the title. I want the new one to stay forever. Not the old one. Close the old one. Reopen the new one. I said I won't make any more. I don't want this one to be the thread that will stay forever. I want the old one. I had everything laid out perfectly, and someone had to close it. I wrote that if any other threads exist, please just close them down. If this doesn't happen, I'll just make another, final one, and leave it at that.

You see, now theres this magical thing called editing. Just go and edit your first post by copy/pasting in the stuff that had been locked in your most recent thread if thats what you want the first post to be. You can also edit the thread title as well if you go into the advanced editing options once you've hit edit on that first post.

Last I looked, this thread already had the title GameDude in it so your fans knew who you were post the previous name change. If you are unable to figure out how to edit the title, I can do so for you. You will however not get another new thread, it is unnecessary.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saying "fuck" in every sentence is so hip right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD AND REOPEN MY NEW ONE. I had everything organized. The old one is messy and I can't edit the title. I want the new one to stay forever. Not the old one. Close the old one. Reopen the new one. I said I won't make any more. I don't want this one to be the thread that will stay forever. I want the old one. I had everything laid out perfectly, and someone had to close it. I wrote that if any other threads exist, please just close them down. If this doesn't happen, I'll just make another, final one, and leave it at that.
    You are perilously close to not "staying here forever." Keep your angry schtick directed toward the (undeserving) games you review and not the staff of this forum, kthx.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Official Game Dude Discussion Thread

Spoonyone is okay, but I don't think he's scripted. I think scripted is a lot harder than non-scripted, because by improvising, you sound more real, but by reading a script, unless you're a very good actor, you sound fake, and that's the main problem I'm having now.

Armake21, Spoonyone, and many others, are good, but they're not scripted, and like they say, "It's worse before it's better." I've skipped the non-scripting to directly focus on scripting. I think scripting is better than non-scripting because it's more professional. So once I master scripting, then I'll be a lot better. I don't know. I'm guessing.

I've been doing this for three months, and I started school one month ago, so I have to suck. Besides, the Nerd himself said the voice acting and editing are good. I bought lighting equipment, and all that stuff, so once I really start learning the good stuff at school (Vancouver Film School), then I hope my work will be a lot more professional.

So far, my goal is to have no 3.5 star rated videos. I have one curse that needs to be revised, and that's the awful Mario Kart review. After that, I must have no 4.0 star rated videos, than no 4.5 star rated videos. They all must have 5 stars each, and I will reach that goal for sure.

AND NO, I don't yell the last word of every sentence. That was just at the beginning. By the way, I changed the tone of my voice for my TMNT review. Check it out, and tell me if I should go back to the yelling or not. Thanks.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkLfKiEHS8
    Last edited by alexander4488; 10-20-2008 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added link.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    I know that I would be hit and die a million times myself.
    That's why I too like the speed runs and perfect play-throughs.

If I wanted to watch a video of someone messing up and dying every so often I'll just check out my own Halo 3 videos.

(Lots of "What the *hell* was I thinking when I did *that*?!?" comes out of my mouth when checking those vids out )
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hey

My reviews aren't just montages of deaths. I make sure I point out the important and funny flaws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Someone needs to do a review on "angry" reviewers, because the AVGN is great (you either love him or hate him, I love him) and this... is not.

The videos do a good job explaining why the games suck, but your voice is too loud and there is too much swearing.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought lighting equipment, and all that stuff, so once I really start learning the good stuff at school (Vancouver Film School), then I hope my work will be a lot more professional.

Film school is scam! You'll eventually get sucked into the boring world of corporate A/V. Take my word for it.

I'm also not envisioning your methodology here. So help me understand... You're spending money on film school so you can make youtube videos that rip off other youtube videos? 1000's of people do this everyday, without the aid of any sort of formal film education.

If you want some real advice, I'll give you some for free. Drop out and become an alcoholic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    Someone needs to do a review on "angry" reviewers, because the AVGN is great (you either love him or hate him, I love him) and this... is not.

The videos do a good job explaining why the games suck, but your voice is too loud and there is too much swearing.
    My Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles review is my newest one, and my voice is nowhere near loud, and there's barely any swearing. Besides, the Nerd swears a lot, himself. Watch my TMNT video. Do you like that voice better?