Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Kart prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing that belongs to the community is knowledge, and even thats not a given. If you want the game, then purchase it yourself, then see how easy it is to 'waste' 1k+. And if you wont, then you are just an asshat anyway. Go play with your bailout money while other people do the work for you.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a troll just bored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.gshi.org/vb/showthread.php?t=3180&page=18

Asked about the possibility of getting SPC dumps of the beta music. It all depends on whether or not the music was completely removed from the final version. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, I'd love it if Nintendo got smart and released some of their WIP versions.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Man, I'd love it if Nintendo got smart and released some of their WIP versions.

How is that "getting smart?" There's many reasons they don't want that stuff leaking out. They might be using it for future games, other companies can copy the information even if it is just limited to music or changed character design...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why on earth would nintendo release a half finished product? It'll be great when they release games that can't be beaten, have broken geometry, and enemies that don't have any AI.

Or you have the other extreme, they charge $10 for an SNES rom you already have where the only difference is some music. I'm sure the public would love that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    They might be using it for future games, other companies can copy the information even if it is just limited to music or changed character design...
    Yes, Nintendo is obviously going to be re-using code that's probably only on your cartridge. That's even more true for some of the third party companies out there, even ones that haven't gone under yet.

The reason they should do it is - amazingly enough - to satisfy curiosity. I never said people would buy stuff for playability. Some people have a historical and not just financial interest in these things, as you know I'm not one of the "omg free ROMz to play!!1" people (at least, I don't think I am); I like to see how stuff was put together and evolved over time.

As you say, DreamTR, they can use their IP in the future for a quick buck, but I don't really see how they would use some of it directly or even indirectly (we're talking SPC tunes and Mode7 graphics here, that's old even by NDS standards) without issuing a special enthusiast's historical release. The alternative is that they just sit on it forever and ever, which is certainly possible. We'll see - there's a lot more time ahead of us than behind.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Nintendo is obviously going to be re-using code that's probably only on your cartridge. That's even more true for some of the third party companies out there, even ones that haven't gone under yet.

The reason they should do it is - amazingly enough - to satisfy curiosity. I never said people would buy stuff for playability. Some people have a historical and not just financial interest in these things, as you know I'm not one of the "omg free ROMz to play!!1" people (at least, I don't think I am); I like to see how stuff was put together and evolved over time.

As you say, DreamTR, they can use their IP in the future for a quick buck, but I don't really see how they would use some of it directly or even indirectly (we're talking SPC tunes and Mode7 graphics here, that's old even by NDS standards) without issuing a special enthusiast's historical release. The alternative is that they just sit on it forever and ever, which is certainly possible. We'll see - there's a lot more time ahead of us than behind.
    Demand is only for the hardcore to "satify curiosity." Games are made for sales numbers. "Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo released so and so on an NES cart?" Sure. If there was demand for sales of the thing, but it's not there. Not happening. Even Virtual Console matters take time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why're you putting "satisfy curiosity" in quotes? Not convinced I'm serious, I see.

Time's one thing we've all got plenty of, so there's no rush.

Honestly I'm surprised nobody said the obvious thing, which is that Nintendo has more corporate (brand) pride than individual pride. Yet there's stuff like this...

Really, anything Nintendo does with the IP is basically free money, ignoring bureaucracy. Basically, only Nintendo's (or any other company's - and lots of the prototypes out there are non-Nintendo after all) sucking would pose a problem to releasing some prototype information.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why're you putting "satisfy curiosity" in quotes? Not convinced I'm serious, I see.

Time's one thing we've all got plenty of, so there's no rush.

Honestly I'm surprised nobody said the obvious thing, which is that Nintendo has more corporate (brand) pride than individual pride. Yet there's stuff like this...

Really, anything Nintendo does with the IP is basically free money, ignoring bureaucracy. Basically, only Nintendo's (or any other company's - and lots of the prototypes out there are non-Nintendo after all) sucking would pose a problem to releasing some prototype information.
    Again. Simple answer, not many people care about these types of items. If they did, Nintendo would release them. They release things that make money. Simple as that. Interest in protos and crap like this = not much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Awesome prototype. The more different they are than the final version, the better.

Does anyone know if anyone owns a Mario Kart 64 prototype? I would love to see some real good screenshots of the prerelease versions with Magikoopa and such. I believe it was called Mario Kart R back then.
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's the other factor, that they just plain don't have the pre-release copies anymore. It's not like they kept a bunch of eeproms sitting around ready to dump half finished games.

Unless they go into business with DreamTR, who probably has more betas then they do.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    There's the other factor, that they just plain don't have the pre-release copies anymore. It's not like they kept a bunch of eeproms sitting around ready to dump half finished games.

Unless they go into business with DreamTR, who probably has more betas then they do.

Exactly. They destroyed most of the stuff they had or reused it....obviously "some" things are still unknown and buried away, but not like it is readily available to gather up everything unless it's old code on a server.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Again. Simple answer, not many people care about these types of items. If they did, Nintendo would release them. They release things that make money. Simple as that. Interest in protos and crap like this = not much.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with my original post which was just a pie-in-the-sky wish post. Funny.
    Exactly. They destroyed most of the stuff they had or reused it....obviously "some" things are still unknown and buried away, but not like it is readily available to gather up everything unless it's old code on a server.
    It'll be on 5.25" disks or old hard drives, but anyhow...

Having this code and the compiled prototypes in private hands is likely to beat having it in corporate hands where it'd just be forgotten forever. Valve has been, as I mentioned before, one of the smart ones about this, selling a lot of their "unreleasable" concept art and concepts by putting them between covers and selling them as books like Raising the Bar.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thing is really cool ... I'm pretty sure I was 2nd highest bidder on that auction ... if you ever dump, i'd love to play it ... if you decide to sell, i'd love to know about it ... the screenshots look very cool though ... pretty nifty proto

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course, this has nothing to do with my original post which was just a pie-in-the-sky wish post. Funny.

It'll be on 5.25" disks or old hard drives, but anyhow...

Having this code and the compiled prototypes in private hands is likely to beat having it in corporate hands where it'd just be forgotten forever. Valve has been, as I mentioned before, one of the smart ones about this, selling a lot of their "unreleasable" concept art and concepts by putting them between covers and selling them as books like Raising the Bar.
    Ed OScuro, you're really stretching here. You just don't know. Seriously, they archive things, but not in the sense you are making it out to be. A lot of that stuff gets transferred IF they care about it, or tossed in the original format it came in.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can tell you for a fact that nobody kept any of the pre-release code from any of the games i've worked on, and i've worked on some AAA products. The corporate policy was to trash the code after 3 years. There was too much risk of contaminating current projects.

Even if the code was preserved, in many cases the artwork has changed and no longer matches the old code. Archiving all iterations of game artwork is more then most backup solutions can handle.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure how interesting this is to people here, but on the off-chance that it is -- I transcribed the two beta tracks to General MIDI (using the MP3s that van_halen kindly recorded.) Was pretty tricky, given the low quality of the MP3s and lack of SPC channel muting, but that said, I think they came out pretty well in the end.

Vanilla Lake: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console...lalakebeta.mid
    DK. Junior: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console...orwinsbeta.mid

(vgmusic blocks direct linking, though you can still get the files from their respective pages)

Cheers~
    Last edited by Blitz Lunar; 04-21-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: updated with archive links

Insert Coin (Level 0) van_halen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, good job and great ear! I think they sound really close, but I can unfortunately only tell from listening to the same mp3s myself.