Thread: Saving in GTA 1 for PlayStation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saving in GTA 1 for PlayStation

I played Grand Theft Auto IV at my friends house a few moths back and I got the urge to play the series starting from the beginning.

I started playing part one (for PlayStation) last night, but I can't figure out how to save my progress. For example, when I beat a mission, I press start to bring up the dialog box, but the only option is to quit the game. If I quit the game I loose my progress.

I'm hoping I don't have to beat all the missions in order to save. I don't usually sit down and play for extended periods of time, so if I did have to beat all the missions I guess part one is out. But I don't think that is the case.

I really can't believe I am asking this question (it is like the stereotype of not asking for directions) but can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I played Grand Theft Auto IV at my friends house a few moths back and I got the urge to play the series starting from the beginning.

I started playing part one (for PlayStation) last night, but I can't figure out how to save my progress. For example, when I beat a mission, I press start to bring up the dialog box, but the only option is to quit the game. If I quit the game I loose my progress.

I'm hoping I don't have to beat all the missions in order to save. I don't usually sit down and play for extended periods of time, so if I did have to beat all the missions I guess part one is out. But I don't think that is the case.

I really can't believe I am asking this question (it is like the stereotype of not asking for directions) but can someone point me in the right direction?
    If I'm remembering correctly (which I may not be), the only way to save was to finish an ENTIRE city first. I seem to remember spending a number of hours in each city, then starting at the BEGINNING of the next one the next time I played.

You better hope I'm wrong, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly (which I may not be), the only way to save was to finish an ENTIRE city first. I seem to remember spending a number of hours in each city, then starting at the BEGINNING of the next one the next time I played.

You better hope I'm wrong, no?
    That's what I am starting to think; the whole city (or at least a group of missions) needs to be completed. It still doesn't really make since because most people may not want to play just one mission, but they also probably don't want to play the whole city.

I'm hoping there is a save feature like the Zeldas for the NES that have the hidden game save feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can definitely say there was no such feature in the PC version. The last level is just so dang long (and the missions so practically impossible) that I cheated to get it over with.

Here's a tip: familiarize yourself with the location of the Multiplier powerups and go for them as soon as possible. (Unfortunately, they're really out of the way in the last few cities, too!) Getting a high multipier is the only way to make it all go faster.

I was reading about GTA Advance the other day, which is apparently largely similar to GTA 1 but also includes stuff like taxi and vigilante missions, and not to mention the ability to save.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

On the PS1 version I always thought you had to get a certain number of points, then go to a meeting, a cutscene plays (Vice City part 1's end of level cutscene still has me in stitches to this day) and you progress to the next level- after going back to the main menu where you save.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    On the PS1 version I always thought you had to get a certain number of points, then go to a meeting, a cutscene plays (Vice City part 1's end of level cutscene still has me in stitches to this day) and you progress to the next level- after going back to the main menu where you save.
    That's exactly what I meant by "finish a city," in fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, that's a terrible way to save a game. I don't mind having to finish a level in some games to save when they're relatively short (Mario 64) but having to finish multiple missions is just dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Not to mention the fact that you only have a limited number of lives in GTA1, rather than continuously respawning at the hospital.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this was the answer I was hoping not to get. But on the bright side, I don't feel so bad about not knowing how to save. (I didn't think I was that bad. )

Hopefully, part 2 won't have the same issues.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Holy crap, that's a terrible way to save a game. I don't mind having to finish a level in some games to save when they're relatively short (Mario 64) but having to finish multiple missions is just dumb.

Psh, kids these days.

In my day, you had to play the whole game in one sitting. THE WHOLE GAME!! No save points, no mid-level saves, no juice box breaks NOTHING! First, we had to program the whole game ourselves, in Assembly Language of course, which we had to learn ourselves. Then we could play the game, walking uphill both ways in the driving snow in 150 degree heat!

And you know what? WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Now get off my damn lawn.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GTA 2 has all kinds of other (gameplay-related) issues. It was rather resoundingly unpopular.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Well, this was the answer I was hoping not to get. But on the bright side, I don't feel so bad about not knowing how to save. (I didn't think I was that bad. )

yep sorrry to tell you. i never played the ps1 version (the pc is where its at!) i highly recommend playing hte pc game, rockstar is giving it free on thier website. it runs a lot faster and looks slightly nicer. you definitely 'beat' the city by gaining a lot of money, i believe its 1 mil or so in the first city. correct me if im wrong (i havent played it since the year of its release) but i think there are 2 versions of each city as well (night and day).

as for gta 2, the game is crap. pure and simple. it just 'feels' gimped. however, it does come w/ a save feature (you drive your car into a garage witha neon sign which says "jesus saves" and half the letts go out to spell "u save" -- its a feature you needed to figure out on your own too lol)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Psh, kids these days.

In my day, you had to play the whole game in one sitting. THE WHOLE GAME!! No save points, no mid-level saves, no juice box breaks NOTHING! First, we had to program the whole game ourselves, in Assembly Language of course, which we had to learn ourselves. Then we could play the game, walking uphill both ways in the driving snow in 150 degree heat!

And you know what? WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Now get off my damn lawn.
    In my day back in the golden age of 1991, the GAME COMPANIES knew we were REAL MEN and thus took out wimpy passwords and increased difficulty when they localized games from Japan.