Thread: ign top 10 things MS could do to put the 360 back on top

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default ign top 10 things MS could do to put the 360 back on top

I found this list that IGN made of annoying issues with the 360 that could help out the 360 in sales. I agree with most of them, minus a few. Here is the list.

Top 10 Moves to Put 360 Back on Top
    Sales have been slumping for months. We offer up some ways to change that.
    by IGN Xbox 360 Team

September 3, 2008 - Microsoft came out of the gate swinging, the first console manufacturer to release a HD capable gaming system. With a year on the market all by itself, the Xbox 360 built a massive lead while Microsoft touted all sorts of statistics about record console sales and attach rates. Then the Wii came out and made the Xbox 360 its sales bitch. Now the PS3, decried by many as bloated and overpriced, has begun to outsell it as well. What's a Microsoft exec to do? After today's announcement of a price drop in the US, we're here to offer up some more suggestions.

10: Price Drop (Done…sort of)
    Today, Microsoft announced that it would be dropping the price of all three versions of the Xbox 360 console. The Arcade unit now clocks in at a svelte $199 in the US, cheaper than the rival Wii. The Elite, however, stands at $399. While having a console cheaper than the Wii is certainly attractive to soccer moms and those looking for a cheaper holiday present, gamers know that the Arcade unit doesn't come with a hard drive. In other words, if you want to take advantage of what the Xbox 360 has to offer through Xbox Live, you'll need to buy one of the more expensive models. Unless the cost of gas magically drops before this holiday season, those Xbox 360s with hard drives are still going to look mighty expensive to consumers.

9: Accessory Price Drop
    Have you ever tried to go buy a wireless network adaptor or a new hard drive for your Xbox 360? It's highway robbery. You can expect to pay $100 for a wireless adapter or $150 for a 120 GB hard drive if you buy an Arcade unit and want to upgrade your system a bit. Sure, these prices will only piss off every single person that buys an Xbox 360…who in turn will complain to their friends. Microsoft can't seriously expect people to get excited about gaming when a hard drive costs almost as much as two new games. Or maybe they do. That needs to change.

8: Adopt Blu-ray
    The HD-DVD drive was a nice thought straight up until Blu-ray swept it off the market. Now the PlayStation 3 is sitting by itself as the only console that can play HD movies. You can rent them through Xbox Live to download, but these compressed versions pale in comparison to what Blu-ray can do. With the PS3 and Xbox 360 offering up largely the same third-party line-ups these days, Blu-ray can easily be the deciding factor between the two. Push a Blu-ray add-on out the door and add another checkmark to your marketing list.

7: Redesign the 360
    This one may simply combine the previous few entries on this list, but bear with us. The value of the Xbox 360 Elite is simply not there. It now costs twice as much as the Xbox 360 Arcade, but only offers HDMI, a wireless controller and a 120 GB hard drive to justify that price increase. It's time to make the Elite truly worthy of its name. Add a built-in wireless network adapter. Add a Blu-ray player. Add a slot loading disc drive. Make the console smaller. Give people a reason to pay more money.

6: Play Up Netflix
    The Netflix announcement was one of the biggest of E3. If you haven't heard, you're going to be able to stream Netflix movies through your Xbox 360 to your living room television after a system update this fall. Microsoft made a brilliant move here, but there's room for them to capitalize on it. Get the Netflix service running ASAP and give people a free trial month when they sign up for Xbox Live gold. Then advertise the heck out of this deal.

No late fees and no mailing back DVDs with Xbox Live.
    5: Give Us a Casual Friendly Controller
    No, the Big Button Pad doesn't count. Dual analog controllers are a great all-purpose solution, but those who haven't grown up gaming often have trouble wrapping their heads around it. Go ahead and ask your aunt to play Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It may be funny to you watching them die in just a few seconds before you display your superiority, but that's as simple as games get and new players often struggle with it. A motion controller might not be the solution, or it might be. Either way something basic for people to get into simple Arcade games will help Microsoft expand its user base in ways that Viva Piñata, as good as it may be, or avatars could never hope to.

4: Revamp the Marketing
    Have you seen a commercial for Xbox 360 lately? We've seen plenty where Microsoft has tried to make you associate popular games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero with the console by flashing a 360 logo on the end of an advertisement they've subsidized, but it's been a while since we've seen any that Microsoft has put together itself. The last time any of us saw something advertising Xbox 360 itself was at a San Jose Earthquakes MLS game. Not exactly high profile. Nintendo ads are everywhere. Sony ads are shoved into every nook Nintendo leaves open. Word of mouth is not enough.

3: Free Pack-in Game
    Everybody loves free stuff. They also love playing their consoles as soon as they get them. A free pack-in promotion for the holidays will rally both parents looking for a gift and the more common gamer. Toss in Halo 3 for free and you've got yourself a promotion that might even grab some media attention just as the peak buying season begins. Or, if MS is looking to attract those non-Halo gamers, a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts pack-in would do just fine. Microsoft has already shown that it is willing to sacrifice some money to attract consumers with that one.

2: Make Xbox Live Free
    Xbox Live is Microsoft's ace in the hole, but for how long? The PlayStation Network has been gaining speed with trophies and a more stable --and free -- online playing field. Games for Windows Live went free after Microsoft recognized that it couldn't attract PC gamers with fees for playing online. Well, guess what? You can't attract non-hardcore gamers on Xbox 360 by asking them to pay to play online. Make what constitutes Xbox Live Gold free and add some new bonuses to those that are willing to pay. Things like Netflix, free XNA games, or early access to betas would be nice bonuses to paying members, but playing online needs to be free.

1: More Halos
    It's time to take a hint from Nintendo. Though only one true Mario game comes out every few years, games with Mario in them are in no short supply. It's the mascot that defines what Nintendo is and pervades everything the system does. Halo has been an undeniable success for Microsoft. Why not capitalize on it? Halo Wars is a good start, but why haven't we ever seen anything on Peter Jackson's Halo project? Why are the rumors of the next Halo first-person shooter pointing at it coming with the next Xbox console? Diversifying your library is nice, but Master Chief has already penetrated the mass market. Build on what works rather than trying to lay a new foundation.
    Last edited by swlovinist; 09-03-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I actually dissagree with a lot of these, other than the wireless and hardrives being EXCESSIVELY overpriced. I haven't seen many ads for the 360 either, but I don't even watch TV so I guess that could be why. The redesign might work out ok, the netflix thing is already huge, it caused lots of networking/shipping issues for netflix because so many people signed up. Pack in game, sure, but some versions already have them (I got two games for free with mine, maybe it's just a sam's club thing?), arcade has free XBLA games. More Halo and free Live? somehow I think those two together would cause lots of red flags with thoe of us who are not 13 years old. Who cares about Bluray? The files are only huge because they don't compress them and Bluray drives are still slow. How do they want a "simple" controller that plays geomtery wars? You need twin sticks to play that game, it already IS simple, and if they are saying to make an NES type controller you wouldn't be able to play that game properly on it anyway. Bad example.

</ramble>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree with most of them. The only one I disagree with is more Halo. It's a popular property, but Nintendo can put Mario in everything because he is rather non-descript. He's just a guy with overalls and a mustache. He can play tennis, golf, brawl, and race karts. How desperate would any of these things look with Master Chief in them? I can't think of many good other types of games Halo could diversify into. Fighter maybe, but it would still be pretty terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd say most of these seem like pretty good ideas. I don't know about the simple controller thing as the majority of the library uses the majority of the controller. Plus then consumers feel like they're being nickel and dimed for multiple controllers specializing id different things. Specialized controllers are alright for certain things but i don't think it should be integrated that closely into the base of the controllers required hardware. As for more halo property how about a Halo rpg that plays similar to KOTOR , That might be pretty cool.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over staurating the market with as many Halo titles as Madden is a bad idea. Adding any sort of blu-ray drive/add on at this point in the console's life is another bad idea. I do think the accesories need a major price drop and the Elite really isn't worth the money. Finally, I love live but making it completly free or lowering it to atleast half of what it is can be looked at as nothing but a positive move.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 09-04-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Is there any reason for the 360 to be as BIG and LOUD as it is? If they made it smaller and quieter, not only would they get a lot more first time buyers, but they'd also entice current owners to upgrade.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

free xbox live (come on save me 50 bucks, I'll spend it on xbla anyway!) and definetly redo the hardware (I need a new 360) I definetly want the wifi added otherwise the current elite is pretty sweet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about less focus on the Halo and more focus on variety? The 360 has a rep as the system for "hardcore gamers," a place to go for your lo-rent FPS and third person titles. Aggressively marketing the system's nontraditional game library would help its image, I think.

Also, can't one just buy a hard drive to use for the 360? This is also the first time I've heard the "Arcade" marker used...this must be what used to be the Core.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I like the dig on the upcoming (and childish) Mii-like avatars. So f'ing stupid. Attention Microsoft...your average 360 owner doesn't want these ridiculous things. We're adults.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree that MS does not need a casual controller, nor do they need Blu Ray. The Wi-Fi thing is pretty annoying. Their Marketing of the system could always be better. The recent price drops will probably help alot. As for the "Arcade System", it has been about a year. It comes with a memory card and some Xbox live arcade games on a disc. Honestly, I think that a pack-in game like Halo 3 should have been done already. I think the system has some of the best games out in the market, I just think that MS is making some goofups that they shouldnt be doing.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I like the dig on the upcoming (and childish) Mii-like avatars. So f'ing stupid. Attention Microsoft...your average 360 owner doesn't want these ridiculous things. We're adults.
    I second this. I'm cool with my MCP gamerphoto. I hope they don't yank the option to just have a gamerphoto entirely.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I thought the 360 already had a classic arcade controller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Is there any reason for the 360 to be as BIG and LOUD as it is? If they made it smaller and quieter, not only would they get a lot more first time buyers, but they'd also entice current owners to upgrade.
    I have the new pro model and it is much quieter than my previous system. Same size though.

Uhh....here's a crazy idea...how about if they fix their reliability issues? That's what made me a PS3 owner for 6 months.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I thought the 360 already had a classic arcade controller.

Oh my god. So funny I just bought that thing yeasterday used at gamestop for 19.99. I Haven't used it. I Had never seen it before. Anyone try it out?

On another note I think the 360 will regain the number 1 status because the Wii just doesn't have the 3rd party support. The strangling of the supply chain to create artificial hype is has run its course. I wonder how many people have WIIs that really are unplayed due to lack of software the bulk of my collection is first party.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#11: Get that damn Jasper board out already.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Uhh....here's a crazy idea...how about if they fix their reliability issues?
    Yeah! That is the most obvious of tracks and it is completely absent from the list. More Halo at #1 WTF!? Maybe they think MS is procuring one of them 'Men in Black' flashy-make-people-forget-stuff-wands.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The last thing Microsoft needs is another Halo! They need to stop using Halo as the "killer" application and work on other IPs. Sure, keep making Halo games but start pushing other Microsoft IP's to the front of the line. Here is a short (and by no means complete list) of IP's that Microsoft could cash in on if they tried:

1. Crimson Skies
    2. Killer Instinct
    3. Close Combat (the originals, not the new POS which is not even made by Microsoft)
    4. Motocross Madness
    5. Midtown Madness
    6. Kung Fu Chaos
    7. Flight Simulator (with option for special controller)
    8. Train Simulator (with option for special controller)
    9. Combat Flight Simulator (with option for special controller)
    10. Space Shuttle Simulator (with option for special controller)

Microsoft also needs negotiate releases of FUN XBOX Live arcade games that would be virtually GUARANTEED to sell. Who wouldn't pay 500 MS points for a game like Simpsons Arcade, Sunset Riders, or Xmen?

On the contrary, here is a list of Xbox 360 software that WOULD NOT sell. By all means necessary, do NOT release these Microsoft:

1. Excel 360
    2. Microsoft Bob 360
    3. Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS 360
    4. DOS 360
    5. Microsoft Money 360
    6. Microsoft Server 2003 360
    7. Microsoft PowerPoint 360

Expand your horizons Microsoft!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0) lanemeyer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhh.. Crimson Skies. That was such a good game. I can't believe we haven't seen a sequel to to.

I agree with what a previous poster said, "Get that damn Jasper board out already." I hope I can find one before Oct 3rd. Kind of need a 360 by then.

I also saw that arcade joystick at Gamestop yesterday. I actually thought it was pretty nice. I'm sure my gf would like it. Her thumb dexterity sucks.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I agree with pretty much everything except the controller thing. Just seems odd to me that people would buy a controller specifically to play XBLA games that wouldn't be useful if they wanted to play anything else. (And by that I'm referring to the idea of marketing specifically to someone who would find the regular controller too confusing - I could totally see myself buying an XBLA specific controller for myself if the game warranted it. But a new gamer who only has the simple controller just doesn't work for me).

I currently suspect that the Nov dashboard update will likely coincide with a marketing push. Obviously this is a total guess, but I'd be shocked if MS spent that much money re-imagining everything and then didn't use that in some ads.

I totally agree with the 'more Halo' statement. There are plenty of genres you could create a game in the Halo universe with. I think an RPG done in the Mass Effect style but in the Halo universe could be amazing. What Halo has that Mario doesn't is story - as long as any Halo game continues to tell the story in some fashion I think you're good to go.
    Last edited by Nature Boy; 09-04-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    On another note I think the 360 will regain the number 1 status because the Wii just doesn't have the 3rd party support. The strangling of the supply chain to create artificial hype is has run its course. I wonder how many people have WIIs that really are unplayed due to lack of software the bulk of my collection is first party.
    Nintendo has an abundance of what the other two lack...growth! Most XBox360 and PS3 owners are repeat customers from last-generation. If they want to be number 1, they need to bring new blood to their corners. Netflix and Little Big Planet are good start, however its their respective systems issues in reliability and cost damming their sales numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/