Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ign top 10 things MS could do to put the 360 back on top

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the 360 needs a redesign. Maybe an internal redesign to fix the reliability problems, but don't redesign the whole system. There's already too many different 360 models, and a redesign would mean an additional two or three. Having all these different systems is confusing. Sure you can always read the boxes to see the features, but I bet the average consumer looks at them with confusion. They're probably thinking, "wait, I thought there was one called premium? what's the difference between premium and pro?" etc.

I actually do agree with the "more Halo" thing. Not that I actually want it, but that it would help them. They couldn't do Halo tennis or anything, but there are plenty of other things they could do. Just look at Halo Wars.

I strongly disagree with Blu-Ray. That would just be dumb IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I think that if MS needs to address the reliablity as its #1 issue. The 360 is coming up on three years, meaning that original launch owners having their systems going out are totally screwed if they get the RROD. I have talked to so many people that have gone through more than one system(several multiple system). They have the games, but their hardware reliabilty is definately third. Of all the things on the list, this is the one that could bite them in the ass the most.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I would agree with the accessories being to friggin expensive, and the XBL Gold needing to be free. I do pay the fees every year, but come on already.. I spend a ton on XBLM!!

Speaking of XBLM, the first price drop needs to be the HARD DRIVES!!! I can buy 2.5" SATA, 250GB, for around $110, and slap it right in the PS3. This 20gb crapola has to go! It's so irritating having no room to put my XBLM downloads! My drive is full, so no more money from me until that happens!

System redesign only needs to happen to get the reliability issues fixed, which I think has pretty much happened with the latest chipsets. We'll see.

Controller is fantastic, Halo I've seen enough of, and we don't need any more models! Sony already screwed that all up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I actually dissagree with a lot of these, other than the wireless and hardrives being EXCESSIVELY overpriced. I haven't seen many ads for the 360 either, but I don't even watch TV so I guess that could be why. The redesign might work out ok, the netflix thing is already huge, it caused lots of networking/shipping issues for netflix because so many people signed up. Pack in game, sure, but some versions already have them (I got two games for free with mine, maybe it's just a sam's club thing?), arcade has free XBLA games. More Halo and free Live? somehow I think those two together would cause lots of red flags with thoe of us who are not 13 years old. Who cares about Bluray? The files are only huge because they don't compress them and Bluray drives are still slow. How do they want a "simple" controller that plays geomtery wars? You need twin sticks to play that game, it already IS simple, and if they are saying to make an NES type controller you wouldn't be able to play that game properly on it anyway. Bad example.

</ramble>
    I was also going to agree with making live free until I saw this. Nice, you convinced me otherwise with 1 sentence. I am tired of hearing squeking voices trying to cuss and the little web cams having some dude thinking it is funny to shove it down his pants (I am not kidding dude, it was nasty, hard to play a round of UNO while I have to look at balls).

I think they should do the opposite. Make live gold 100 a year, but make more stuff free and drop prices of stuff.

The average MMO is 14.99 a month. Multiply that by 12, and that is 179.88 a year to play an MMO. That means that if the extra content is free (or very close to free), I would happily pay $100. Why up the price? Not as many not nosed kids, because $100 a year does not sound attractive to many people (as long as they don't do it monthly, because $8.50 a month does sound attractive). One lump sum. Also with the upped price, things on XBL will drop in price. No more $15 on live. I don't know what the price would be, but cheaper than $15. Free streaming Netflix! They already have streaming movies and crap in xbl, they could make all of those a part of netflix (they might, i havent read much about it). free xna games. all themes and gamer pictures are free. The list could go on and on about why it would be better. If they just up the price of gold to up the price, no dice chino, but if they up the price and knock the price of a bunch of xbl stuff down, i would be game.

At this point, if you are paying for something on the internet that is game wise, it better be better than an mmo, or else WoW just got another account. Well, that is how my friends are, we are half console/half pc, so we switch back and forth. all you console dudes, if people stopped doing xbl as much, u know it would give sony the perfect time to strike with a mmo that is 50 a year, which is the same price as xbl. sony! it has sony online entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Responding to all ten items, mostly because I'm aimlessly bored.

10: This one's a given. I was lucky to obtain my Pro at a reduced price, but even then, that was still a steep $200. At least make the Elite below $400. I'm not sure they can do that yet, but the instant there's a chance, go for it.

9: Oh, please do. The less cost, the more that will be sold. Supply and demand, you see. Then again, I'm viewing this strictly from a nigh-broke consumer's point of view.

8: I don't know nearly enough about Blu-Ray to say anything one way or the other.

7: I'm not one much for aesthetics, and while the extras mentioned would be nice, I think the massive hard drive and purported lower chance of failure rates are incentive enough for an Elite.

6: My brother would utilize the HELL out of the 360 if this happened. I would also be happy to take advantage of it as well, mostly to view DVDs that have been on "Unknown" status in my quere for-fricking-ever.

5: This one is really a matter of preference. Me? I have no qualms with the 360 controller.

4: Word of mouth is almost always what I listen to, so they can do whatever the hell they want with marketing.

3: I don't see why not. I'd make it Gears of War rather than Halo 3, but to each their own.

2: While I'd mostly be behind this, Cryo's point of asswads and hackers spamming up the Live channels with greater frequency would be obnoxious. With the trial I had for Gold, I played the hell out of Team Fortress 2. I think the game itself is a blast, but sadly, not all of the plays were enjoyable. The most obnoxious thing I can think of is an Engineer somehow building a Sentry Gun BENEATH THE GROUND, where no one can reach it yet it still manages to kill everything. That's just grand-scale cheating at its maxim. I think we can do with less of these black-hat dilweeds, and if live gaming were open to everyone at every time, the Gold might become tarnished.

1: UGH.

I usually don't take stock in IGN, though there are a couple of exceptions here. However, I'm siding with Ice on this one. My 360 is still fairly recent, only having owned it for two months, but I'm still paranoid about it expiring on me. I actually DID see the Red Rings of Death once, though that was after a lightning-induced power blowout, and it was just fine afterwards. Let's hope that didn't do any long-term damage. :eek
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    I usually don't take stock in IGN, though there are a couple of exceptions here. However, I'm siding with Ice on this one. My 360 is still fairly recent, only having owned it for two months, but I'm still paranoid about it expiring on me. I actually DID see the Red Rings of Death once, though that was after a lightning-induced power blowout, and it was just fine afterwards. Let's hope that didn't do any long-term damage. :eek
    If the DVD drive doesn't make a god awful grinding noise when you play a game, or turn on the 360, itself - you should be fine.

That's usually your first sign of trouble.

The newer boards, drives, and chips are alot more reliable than the first batch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

A few additional unsolicited ideas:

1. Reward me for being a loyal customer. I have a Live account, I buy about 8-10 games and 5000 points each year and I'm right on the fence between being a casual or ahardcore gamer. Say thanks by giving me something. It doesn't have to be big -- a couple of free XBLA downloads, maybe 250 points -- just something to say thanks for being a 360 fanchick. And if you upgrade the console, send me a coupon to entice me to buy a new one please.

2. Let me build a custom 360 like you can with computers. Give me an a la carte menu of features: hard drive options, wireless, blu-ray or dvd, etc. Charge me an extra $20 if you have to but throw in free 2-day shipping of my custom console. And for the love of everything holy give me a choice of case finishes. Ugly white or uglier black? How's about some colors? Or graphics? And no, MS, pink will not suffice. They have those websites where you can pick a graphic to scribe into your iPod, let me emboss Master Chief's mug on my 360.

3. Focus on quality games and keep the 3rd party publishers supporting the system. I'm pleased with the range of games for this console cycle and the game that really got me wanting a 360 was Viva Pinata. Though they may not be bestsellers, throw some of your weight into supporting more games like BioShock (quality game with a great storyline). I don't need GTA: Golf just so you can have a game out every year. I'll wait if it means I get a better game.

4. Piggybacking off IGN's suggestion: more marketing please. I brought my 360 to a bbq over Labor Day weekend and my friends had a blast with Lego Indiana Jones. Common reaction: "I didn't know they made games like this for the 360." I miss games sometimes because I don't hear about them. Consider expanding your marketing outside the gaming realm to lifestyle blogs and news sites. Gamers come from all walks of life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

My personal suggestions:

1. I agree with RoxyBaby... more "Thankyou freebies" would sweeten the deal for a lot of people. What was the last freebie we all got that WASN'T due to a fuckup on MS's part or a terrible advertising campaign? Texas Hold Em for 48 hours? I would suggest that MS give us a free 800 code when we buy a 12 month XBL subscription, and also give us seasonal freebies.

Wouldn't Summer of Arcade be awesome if they gave us a free arcade game? How about a christmas gift? Give us more freebies and paying for live becomes less of an issue for lots of people.

2. Giving consumers too much choice is a bad idea.. There is only one type of Wii, and it's wiping the floor with 360. There are half a dozen PS3s, and sales are way below expectations. Just stick to the Pro 60gb system, and avoid any confusion that may lead to lost sales. If people want bigger HD's, they can buy them.

Also, Putting together bundle packs on holidays ALWAYS helps shift systems. Update your Viva Pinata / Forza 2 pack to 2 more recent family oriented games, and watch the money pour in.

3. Stop releasing all the big games on PC and 360. Keep your heavy hitters 360 exclusive. How many PC gamers now say "I want to play Game X that's coming on 360 soon, but I'll wait for the PC version that'll come out in 3 months with extras. Then I won't have to buy a console". Start with Gears 2 , and never release any of your AAA games like Halo or Mass Effect on PC ever, ever again.

4. Splash more cash with developers. You gotta spend money to make money, so start paying off all the big companies to make exclusive games for your platform. Imagine how many more sales you'd get if games like Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, and Mega Man 9 were exclusive to 360? Pay off Capcom with a few (hundred?) million, and it could have happened. Imagine if RAGE, Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2, and Doom 4 were 360 only? All the PC fans would be snapping up a console before you can say "buying exclusivity from Id was money well spent". This can also go for buying companies with great portfolios too...

5. Ignore what your competitors are doing controller-wise, and do what you do best. I don't want a fucking Wii-Mote ripoff on my 360. I mean, look at sixaxis and what little good that did for Sony. Everyone hates the motion control on it! Forget simple big button controllers, and forget gimmicky control methods. Focus instead on how to make games easier to play through their mechanics and button layouts.

6. More advertising this fall. This fall really is sink or swim for PS3 (and most of it rests on Little Big Planet's shoulders) so why don't you shout from the hilltops that your machine is better, more powerful, cheaper, and has better games on it from a larger library? A major marketing push for fall 08 / Q1 09 would do the machine wonders.

7. Announcing a game similar to Little Big Planet but on a bigger scale certainly wouldn't hurt... The buzz around that game is incredible, so why not try to steal it's thunder a little big and turn it to your favour? If you can't make a clone on a bigger scale, then may I point you to number 4 in this list...

8. Put me in charge of XBLA, and I'll show you the kind of games people want from the service. Enough of the dual-stick shooters and crappy arcade conversions.

9. Embrace the homebrew community more, and give us the tools to create and share our own content as well as your own. What Happened to "The Youtube of Games"? Make XNA on 360 free with little to no restrictions on hardware usage. As Shizoid and The Dishwasher prove, community games can be every bit as good as a small studios game...and with no hardware restrictions, you could very well stumble across your next AAA game, and many people would buy a 360 if they knew that hundreds of free games were only a button press away.

10. Hurry up with Live Anywhere. With the hype around things like the iPhone, having programs that can be used on the go and then later transferred to the console at home would be a GREAT selling point. Imagine buying a game on your iPhone while you're on the bus home, downloading it and playing a phone version of that game on the phone, and your 360 being able to switch itself on, download the proper full 360 game, and have it ready to rock when you get home?