Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS3 PSN PSX Games visually gimped? -__-;;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay guys, new set of images but with a twist.

I downloaded PSN Tekken 2 to have a Polygon based game to compare as well. Some interesting things popped up, and this included some PSP testing as well.

Here's the new S-Video Direct Feed of Ryu, screen captured through VideoGlide using Dazzle. It's screen cap isn't the best but it's what I had at the moment. I also added in the original "off hdmi" screen photos for reference. I love that the HDMI photo is still better than an s-video screen cap.

Here's Tekken 2

It should be noted that Tekken 2's download file size was 485 megs, which sounds about right for a PSX CD of this variety.

Now, while the above is food for fodder, something interesting happened when I transferred both of them to my PSP; Street Fighter Alpha isn't 'complete' - there are no sound clips in the transition screens (the Z-beam coming across, the spot where both fighters images pop up, etc). The music only kicks in when you actually get to the round. Bear in mind on the PS3 this music is present.

Tekken 2's music was fine.

Seems like the compression theory holds the most water, as well as the PSN game library is on a case-per-case basis on what oddities are hidden in the download.

In a separate instance, as far as the "Lego" orgies go, I think it depends on the HDMI monitor and the game. As mentioned, SF Alpha, as well as FF7 and Raiden Project all looked amazing. However, MGS and Beyond the Beyond had the lego thing going. From what I can tell, the less "elbow grease" that was used in a game, and the more it was programmed without "visual trick" the better it looks.

Though my visual judgment might be biased; I'm a graphic designer and I *love* seeing every pixel.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I had mentioned in another post somewhere when I first downloaded SFA1 that it was audio gimped when ported to PSP, and I sent a report on that to Sony and Capcom.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Does the PSP have stereo audio output via its internal speakers? I usually run into missing sound effects on my PS2 because the games default to stereo (I always switch them to mono). Maybe that happened here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Just checked, and changing the sound output to mono does not correct the missing audio for the game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Re: Dangerboy's study

it seems my hunch was correct, i believe the psn downloads automatically use the ps3's smoothing feature. as it looks identical after you smooth the psx disk manually.

i have to admit i didnt test too extensively ps1 games on ps3, in fact i didnt try the ones you said looked amazing. i did try "parasite eve" - a game which i remember thinking was the best looking game ever when it first came out, and on the ps3, it looks downright ugly and unplayable. (for the record i have a 1080p JVC 37" tv, it gets amazing colors and renders in anything else i run, uncluding upconverted dvds).

Crusader: No Remorse also looked quite bad, but a lot more playable. i know its a sprite game though however Rayman looked damn good